Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10499 - 09/17/02 09:43 AM Headlight light output a GP problem?
Adrien Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I find that the headlights on my 99'GTP suck compared to my wife's Malibu, or even my son't '90 Z24. I went to a set of PIAAs about a year ago, but didn't find a real dramatic improvement. I had the headlights re-aimed by the dealer and went to a set of 80/85 watt bulbs. Certainly a lot brighter, but still sucks in terms of lighting up the road properly. Does any one else find this to be the case for their GP? Any recommended solutions? Is this just a poor reflector design or is there something else that can be done. I notice some amount of pitting on the headlight lenses as a result of road dust abrasion, but I can't believe this pitting can reduce the light output to this extent.

Thanks,

Adrien
#10500 - 09/17/02 11:42 AM Re: Headlight light output a GP problem?
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Yeah, generally people find the GP headlights to suck. Common improvements are adding a replacement set of foglamps/driving-lamps (Blazertech 3200/2200 are most common) or now adding the HID setup.

Not much else you can do besides that.

ferb!
#10501 - 09/17/02 02:30 PM Re: Headlight light output a GP problem?
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
Is there no concern with using a higher wattage bulb, burning up any of the switches?
I had a mustang and they were bad for the switches burning up and now I worry about it in every car...
I haven't looked at the schema., but do they run right through the switch or do they use a relay?
If, a realy, I might just switch to higher wattage, if not, I might put one in.

littleman
#10502 - 09/17/02 03:55 PM Re: Headlight light output a GP problem?
Adrien Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
If I'm not mistaken, they run through a relay. In fact, the headlights are automatic, so that's pretty much the only way it could be done. I haven't noticed that unpleasant burnt insulation smell yet. My biggest concern around the higher wattage bulbs was the extra heat output within the composite headlight housing. No problems noted yet however.

Adrien
#10503 - 09/17/02 11:26 PM Re: Headlight light output a GP problem?
EVIL98GT Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
yeah HID a def in the future but not now im poor....but i know that you can get the hid kit relatively cheaper than those shown on some of the stores. if anyone is interested let me know by emailing me @ evil98gt@yahoo.com. i know of to kits their is a 6000k kit that is like a bluish purple and the 8000k that is more comparable to teh bimmers and stuff.