Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105197 - 09/16/08 11:08 PM Car won't start - HELP!
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
OK, since I'm staying at my aunt & uncle's until the power comes back on at home, and since there's not a whole lot to do in the middle of nowhere, I figured it's an excellent time to install my K&N intake, ZZP PCM, and Hi Velocity (HV) TB. I got the intake & PCM in, but couldn't figure out how to get the throttle linkage off the TB, so I left it for the time being and finished the other two. With just the intake & PCM in, it started up and ran just fine.

After my uncle got home, he looked at the TB and showed me how to get the throttle linkage off. Put the HV on, and the car wouldn't start. It'll chug, it's trying, but it won't catch. Realized I forgot the gasket, took the TB off, scraped the remnants of the old one off and put the TB back on, still won't start. Took the HV off and put the stock TB on, still won't start. My uncle fiddled with it, even tried squirting a small amount of fuel in the TB to try and get it going, but it wouldn't work. Realized the paper I got with it said the battery needs to be disconnected for an hour, so I did that and it didn't fix it.

What is wrong? It worked with the PCM & intake with the old TB, but now it won't. One thing we did notice is, on the TB, it's got three clips and one rubber thing that just slides on. The rubber thing was splitting, so we taped that up real good, and nothing.

My uncle says he doesn't think it's getting fuel. Why? Someone help! I need my car so I can get home, my boss is running my restaurant into the ground (for example, he's using food from before the hurricane, meaning it's spoiled now) so I need to get back.

(On the bright side, as easy as it is to disconnect the tubing on the K&N intake, I can now swap out the TB in 10-15 minutes. lol)
#105198 - 09/16/08 11:15 PM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
that rubber thing is a vac line and it should run to a black box right behind your s/c next to your alternator. replace that, it's an actuator which sucks exhaust fumes out of your gas tank I believe.

try unplugging your MAF and see if that helps.

did the tb come with all the sensors or did you have to swap them over from your old tb? you may not have put in your TPS correctly.
#105199 - 09/16/08 11:41 PM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
Acefighter Offline
They came with the sensors, it's straight from ZZP. Simply unclip them off and clip them on the new one.

As far as replacing something, town is a 15 minute drive, and it's small at that, dunno if they could help. So, I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed on location. lol
#105200 - 09/17/08 12:03 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
r.s.hutchinson Offline
did u try unplugging the MAF? it's the big sensor on top.

maybe you need a CASE learn? i'm not too familiar with them, especially since you already had the car running with that PCM.
#105201 - 09/17/08 12:33 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
case learn should still let the car run.

So you unplugged the PCM and put the new one in while the battery was still hooked up?
#105202 - 09/17/08 01:14 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
Acefighter Offline
Come on, I'm not a total idiot, the battery was unplugged during the intake/PCM installation.

The problem shouldn't be with either of those two, because like I said, it ran fine. It wasn't until I switched the TB that it wouldn't start.

Haven't unplugged the MAF yet, it's 11pm, I'll work on it tomorrow. lol

Isn't the case learn what I did in leaving the battery unplugged for an hour after installing the TB?
#105203 - 09/17/08 08:30 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Case learn won't keep it from starting.
#105204 - 09/17/08 09:13 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
Richard Candelario Offline
No, the CASE learn is done with a tuner. Unplugging the PCM allows the car to dump the trims and other set-up-specific "temporary tunes". Unplug the brain and the car forgets the previous set-up and starts trimming and such for the new goodies.

CASE learn aligns the CPS with the PCM.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#105205 - 09/17/08 09:28 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Check for blown fuses first, if none are found try swapping the stock PCM back in, and see if it starts and runs. Anything's possible...Good Luck!
#105206 - 09/17/08 09:33 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Try cleaning the MAF, you just put an oiled K&N on there.

Did the TB come with a MAF, or did you use the stock one?
Is the PCV functioning?
#105207 - 09/17/08 10:46 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
r.s.hutchinson Offline
even if PCV wasn't working the car should still run.

did you plug the sensor ends into the correct sensors? I believe the MAF and TPS ends are the same so they could have been accidentally switched.
#105208 - 09/17/08 11:19 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Car should start with the MAF unplugged.
#105209 - 09/17/08 11:26 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Try cleaning the MAF, you just put an oiled K&N on there.

Did the TB come with a MAF, or did you use the stock one?
Is the PCV functioning?
I used the stock MAF. How do you clean it, just get a towel and wipe it off?

I'll check about the sensors maybe being switched.

The car has almost caught a few times, but it won't stay running more than a second.
#105210 - 09/17/08 11:34 AM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
r.s.hutchinson Offline
what are you doing on here then? go and have a look lol, we need some response because now we're just repeating the same things over and over again.

Use break cleaner and spray it on the MAF to clean it. but first try swapping the TPS and MAF ends and see what happens. and try leaving it unplugged before trying to clean it.
#105211 - 09/17/08 01:05 PM Re: Car won't start - HELP!
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by r.s.hutchinson:
what are you doing on here then? go and have a look lol, we need some response because now we're just repeating the same things over and over again.
I just wanted to post a response to let you know I got it. :p

Anyway, the sensors are very similar, but slightly different, and I couldn't get them to switch places, so they should be correct.

Cleaning and removing the MAF didn't help.

Switched the ZZP PCM back to the stock PCM, even though it had worked since I put it in, and that didn't help either. So, I'm running the stock TB & PCM. I don't plan on removing the K&N because I don't see why reassembling the stock airbox would help, especially since it's run since I put the K&N on.

All the connections are tight, and the sensors are in place. It'll turn, it just won't catch and finally start.

I'm all out of ideas...

The car is parked on about a 15* incline, but that wouldn't keep the fuel from getting to the engine, would it? I've started my car when it's parked on a 35-45* incline before.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >