Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105606 - 08/22/02 05:34 PM Mods..
coolgt2001 Offline
Loc: CP Indiana
I have a stock 2001 gt. I hate being beat by stock mustangs, these people think they are hot sh*t. My question is what mods I can make under $600 to make be able to stick by these guys. Thanks. crazy
mods: tinted windows (mirror to black), silver headlamp covers, 2 12in pioneer premiers, pioneer prmier cd/mp3 player, alarm system with car montioring and pager,CAI and thermostat, blue stripes, blue badging. Look for a quick hp increase.
#105607 - 08/22/02 09:34 PM Re: Mods..
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Well, if you're hoping to tackle the GTs, you're gonna have a tough time. For 600 bucks you're not able to add too much stuff, but here goes. Remember, some of this requires a lot of mechanical knowhow and experience. But it should pan out nicely when you're done.

180* Thermostat (8 bucks. cheap. do it anyway)
Cold Air Intake (200-250 purchased, or 100 if you make one yourself)

and one of the following:

Reprogrammed PCM (300)
Exhaust Downpipe/CAT (300 bucks)
Rocker Arms (330)

Since you don't have the benefit of a supercharger, you need to do other things to make the car breathe better. The rocker arms are more work, but should yield more power. And remember your local smog laws: it's not legal to replace your cat at all in California, so you may be out of luck there. I'm sure most people will steer you towards the PCM, and it is BY FAR the easiest of the three to replace.

Get more opinions than just mine, but that is pretty much the list of stuff that actually yields gains immediately. You're never going to have a tire-shredding monster with just the GT, but you can definately increase that 200 ponies.

ferb!
#105608 - 08/23/02 08:23 PM Re: Mods..
coolgt2001 Offline
thanks, I did not know they mad a reprogarmed pcm for a GT!!! If anyone knows where I could get one that would be great.
Thanks Again
mods: tinted windows (mirror to black), silver headlamp covers, 2 12in pioneer premiers, pioneer prmier cd/mp3 player, alarm system with car montioring and pager,CAI and thermostat, blue stripes, blue badging. Look for a quick hp increase.
#105609 - 08/24/02 12:08 AM Re: Mods..
Steve Offline
Loc: Akron, Ohio
Check out 3800 Performance , they have a brand of reprogrammed PCM's from "Digital Horsepower, Inc." I saw the GT's for $300.
Good luck and let us know how it works out! hammer

SLP CAI, DHP, 3.4, 180° stat, Trans cooler, Random Tech DP, Borla cat back, KYB's, bitchin' paperclip mod.
#105610 - 08/24/02 11:42 AM Re: Mods..
coolgt2001 Offline
Like I said before thanks for the info... I looked at that site and it says it is for the GTP? Maybe I am looking at it wrong. Cause if it is a PCM for a GT I would buy it. I have another quick question. My friend has a 99 GPT he just bought a Ram Air hood. He offered to sell his old hood to me. 1st would it fit? 2nd would it do anything for the car besides looks. I can get it for a great deal, our cars are the same color so painting is a problem.
THANKS
#105611 - 08/24/02 06:33 PM Re: Mods..
coolgt2001 Offline
Well I am slow. I found the PCM on the site... I didn't scroll down all the way.
#105612 - 08/24/02 07:00 PM Re: Mods..
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
So you're wanting to put a stock GTP hood on your GT? If so, you won't gain anything. it's the same hood. If you're asking about putting an old Ram Air hood on, it will fit. They're all the same hood (SE, GT, GTP), just different front grills and facias with the SE and GT/GTP.

So yeah, it'll fit, just curious as to what performance advantage you're trying to get out of it.

ferb!
#105613 - 08/24/02 07:17 PM Re: Mods..
coolgt2001 Offline
I didn't think it would do anything for the car he has a 99 daytona hood it has heat extractors.
I think I am goning to buy the PCM it comes out the 1st of Sept. thumbsup