Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105861 - 06/05/02 06:19 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
For all you amateur detailers out there - how about some pictures of your cars AFTER you have just cleaned them. Make these pictures nice, with maybe a few closeups and a few wide shots so we can compare each brand of cleaner.

Consider this a challenge - all you Zaino-ites!

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#105862 - 06/05/02 09:42 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Mike Levy Offline
Loc: Flushing, New York
NYC has water restrictions due to the "drought". I can't do my car. The only water I can use is well water, which leaves spots. frown
#105863 - 06/06/02 08:58 AM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Chew Offline
Although its going to be raining like heck the next few days - since I have underground parking, I'll try to detail my car (at least the outside) and take some pics to get this thread started.

I won't say what I'm using so we can get honest opinions / critiques.

Then in maybe a week or two, whoever posts up pictures can reveal what wax / polish, etc. they used to clean their cars.

Does that sound like a plan?

Let the cleaning begin! savewave

Chew

#105864 - 06/06/02 09:10 AM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Mike Levy Offline
This could be the perfect opportunity to reveal the product I've been using with Zaino to improve the shine. My year long test is just about over, so I guess its time to break the silence.

I'll see if I can do a detail job with the crappy water. If I can, expect pics this weekend or early next week. cool

Quote:
you amateur detailers out there
Can I even participate in this? I'm not an amateur. I've been to school for detailing and could be considered a professional. [Yes!]
#105865 - 06/06/02 09:30 AM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Chew Offline
Professional / amateur - it doesn't matter! Let's clean some cars!

laugh

Chew

#105866 - 06/06/02 09:41 AM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Charles Weber Offline
Loc: Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Levy:
NYC has water restrictions due to the "drought". I can't do my car. The only water I can use is well water, which leaves spots. frown
Any of you people that are facing this problem might want to look into a product I recently had recommended to me. "Quick & Easy Wash" by Protectall. Go to www.protectall.com for some information. It does a good job for me although I have yet to use it on a really dirty car. Probably won't. A couple of other alternatives are "Dri Wash" and a similar product from Amsoil. I have used both and while bucket washing is much better, they are better than no wash at all.

Charles
#105867 - 06/12/02 12:22 AM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Weber:
I have used both and while bucket washing is much better, they are better than no wash at all.
Charles
I have to disagree w/ this.....Bucket washing will not give any type of protection from the elements. If you wash w/ a bucket for a year with out waxing, you will notice a big difference. Where as the dri-wash will not give the trophy shine, it will provide "protection" and make your car look like you wax it occasionally. I don't see anyone posting any pics after detailing yet, that being the case, I'm going to continue to put my "new house" together, instead of detailing the GTP. When I do get around to detailing, I'll be posting pics immediately.
'00 GTP(never waxed) Black Sedan

http://pdxcgp.com
#105868 - 06/13/02 02:43 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Chew Offline
Heya guys,

I did clean my car, but I was too busy to get into the details. I figure I should be able to get a complete and good cleaning job done this Sunday morning so ... my pics will be up on Sunday afternoon hopefully.

Regards,

Chew savewave

Chew

#105869 - 06/13/02 04:33 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Mike Levy Offline
It supposed to rain this weekend up here. I need a totally clear weekend. Then I can wash, clay, wash, Zaino, wait, more Zaino, wait, my secret product, more Zaino eek .
#105870 - 06/13/02 06:50 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
crimpton Offline
Man....You guys work too hard....I dri washed my car last night, all I have to do is spray my tires, and find a good place to take pictures.....Mebbe Saturday.
Later now

#105871 - 06/14/02 09:03 AM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Chew Offline
Heya,

I just got my new toy - a Craftsman 10" random orbital buffer.

I know its not a Porter Cable but I only spent 40 bucks on it so I'm not expecting the world from it wink

I know some people believe in getting smaller buffers for more precision, but I like the big ones so I can do the large areas quickly and then hand buffing the smaller areas where I need more accuracy.

I'll try to have some pics up this weekend.

Chew

#105872 - 06/14/02 09:28 AM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
Mike Levy Offline
I have a 8" random. No idea the manufacturer, it was like $14.99 last summer. Also have a 6" high speed buffer from Craftsman. I've used each of them once. Working by hand is slower, but I prefer it.
#105873 - 06/14/02 09:35 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
crimpton Offline
OK....Due to my webpage host, I can't post the pictures here, but I can give the URL. If anyone knows of a free website host, fill me in. I like tripod, but they keep limiting my abilities...Anyways.......

Here's after 2 consecutive Driwashes.....I've had this car for over 2 years, and it hasn't seen a garage until 2 weeks ago. So, this finish has seen 2 winters, and 2 summers totally exposed 24/7 in the Great Northwest..... Never been waxed.
There is a close up shot, and an example of the grime I took off this time at http://members.tripod.com/~crimpton/clean
I've taken off worse(w/ haste), but have become more confident with use.

#105874 - 06/22/02 08:43 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
JerryH Offline
Loc: Dallas, Texas (ex-Montrealer)
These pics REALLY do not do the car justice, but I'll leave the results up to you:

http://24.200.184.120:9001/zaino.htm

Jerry Homolka
"The Mistress is back!"
http://syner-g.org
#105875 - 06/26/02 10:18 PM Re: The Car Cleaning Thread!
crimpton Offline
Hey Jerry,

Car looks great. I think if I was to get into putting more effort into getting a showroom shine, Zaino may be the way I'd go......I think the water on the tires helps too...;

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >