Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107620 - 04/25/04 02:42 AM Hello all! New here...
Smoof Offline
Loc: Colorado
Hi, I'm new here as you already know and while I don't own a GP right now, I hope to soon. I need to replace my current truck. A Bronco. I've been looking into some of my favorite cars to replace that with.
Anyway, I plan to buy myself a '97-03 Grand Prix GT (GTP if I can find one for the right price) because I really love Pontiacs and GP's. Anyway, I've got some questions about the GP.
First of all, is it reliable? This is the reason I'm replacing my Bronco as I just can't rely on it at all. The second question would be, WHEN it breaks, are parts for it cheap? As well if it's something I can't fix myself, what would the price at a shop cost me?
Thanks for the info!
#107621 - 04/25/04 07:39 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Welcome, Look for a 98 or newer. 97s had more then there share of problems. Try for the GTP if you settle for the GT you'll end up kicking yourself. As for reliability I've heard many of owners surpasing 150k with out a single problem. The transmissions are the weak point but as long as you avoid one wheel burn outs you should be fine or as long as you dont try and run 12s in the quarter you'll be fine. As for replacement parts well they are on par with other makes. Aftermarket parts can be a bit scary since there isn't alot of competition. I've had my GTP since september and I'm still in love with it. Happy hunting and hammer down now that it's spring.
#107622 - 04/25/04 09:42 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Welcom to the group. Sorry HercMan... I can't say I agree with necessarily avoiding '97s. But then again I suppose I'm somewhat biased seeing as I own one. Anyway, they're all good cars depending on how they're treated. Granted... sometimes you come across a lemon, in which case there's really nothing you can do about that. Just the luck of the draw. How well a car performs and how long it lasts has A LOT to do with maintenance. As I stated above, I have a '97 and currently have 189K miles on the original engine and tranny. Plus, most of the mods you see below have been on since around 50K miles. I have a regular maintenance schedule I follow religiously and it hasn't let me down. BTW, that goes for just about any brand or model car you buy.

Good luck with you purchase,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#107623 - 04/25/04 09:46 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Welcome. Definetly don't get a '97. And get a GTP, in the last couple years, they've depreciated enough to not really be that much more expensive than a GT. I've had some problems with my '97, but jus stupid little things. I've never had a single engine problem (90,000 miles). Ward's had the 3800 Series II engine on their top ten best engines ever list. Right up there with the Mustang 5.0 and the Jeep Inline-6.
#107624 - 04/25/04 04:12 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
Smoof Offline
Well I don't know so much about getting a GTP.
I'd really like to get one, but my options are rather limited.
When I sell my truck, I'm hoping for around 4k for it, then I'm gonna save up an extra 6k or so to grab a GT. I've seen one GTP in that price range, but I don't have the funds currently. I'd love a GTP, but it's all about affordibilty, heh.
Are GT's really that bad? I know the difference between the two is around 45HP, right?
GT - 195Hp
GTP - 240Hp
Done some reseach on Grand Prix in the past cause I really like em.
Whats bad about the GP, besides the HP difference (I plan to mod it out, I know it wont be as fast as a GTP, but hey)? Think I outta just wait a little longer and save-up the extra funds and go for the GTP? It seems around here the difference between the GT and GTP can be anywhere from 1k to 2k for a '97-00.
Could you guys give any more specific info on why the '97 is bad?

Oh, I read on one of my other favorite car places (www.shotimes.com) that GTP's and Taurus SHO's have annual show downs? Thats sounds really cool, anyone know anything about that?
Was originally thinking about a SHO, but decided it would be just as expensive as my truck and about as reliable, so. heh.

Thanks for the info.
#107625 - 04/25/04 05:34 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You can pick up a GTP for between 8k and 10k and if you want to mod the car your best bet would be to grab a GTP. It takes a great deal more cash to make a GT compete with the GTP then it does to make a GTP a 13 sec car. hammer
#107626 - 04/25/04 08:39 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
Fair book value (Kelly Blue Book) on my GTP is only $6000. It's a '97 with 90,000 miles. You could pick up one with lower mileage or a '98 for a little more than that.
#107627 - 04/25/04 08:41 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
I don't know why the '97s are getting such a bad rap. As far as I can tell, they aren't any worse than any other model. Granted, they were the first run on that body style... but they can hold their own fit and finish. Again... Just my opinion.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#107628 - 04/25/04 08:52 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
With the '97's, they were split between lemons and perfect cars. Marc seems to have gotten the perfect car, some people get complete crap (mine's in between there somewhere). It's like that with almost any car, but it seems a little more common on the 97's. I suggest buying the newest Grand Prix you can afford.

Here's a good list of model changes with each year. It's not complete by any means, but it gives an overall idea of what was changed with each year. You might see something in there that would make you pick a different model year. With this list, you can also weed out the stuff that you don't care about and possibly buy an older one too.

http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/info/info_model_changes.htm
#107629 - 04/26/04 03:12 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Smoof Offline
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys!
I'll be visiting this site a lot in the future I think! Espessially when I plan to mod out my GTP!
#107630 - 04/26/04 07:51 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
97`S have a weaker tranny I thought, and of course the problems related to a new body style, but usually when you buy a used car, these problems are corrected already. there is a link in this site that talks about GP`s usual problems, again I don`t want you to get discouraged to buy one, think that most of these problems have been fixed by now.
#107631 - 04/26/04 08:09 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Buying a 97 isn't such a bad idea any problem's with the car should be fixed by now and you should be able to buy reasonabley cheap ,If your not mechanicaly enclined try for a gtp modding a gt even into the 14's takes nohow & $ but the gt's a nice car to play with and the3.8 is strong welcome to the club anyway.
#107632 - 04/26/04 09:21 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by blown_gp:
97`S have a weaker tranny I thought, ...
Actually, the '97s have a slightly stronger tranny. I tried finding the reference over on ClubGP's message board, but couldn't locate it. It had something to do with having to switch to a different supplier of internal parts. Apparently, the new supplier's parts weren't hardened to the same standard of the original supplier.

If anyone can locate that thread... I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#107633 - 04/26/04 09:36 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
blown_gp Offline
i knew I have seen this somewhere, don`t mean to sound like a know it all but ... I was right.

http://thrashercharged.com/tech_htm/FAQ-4t65E.shtm
#107634 - 04/26/04 10:39 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
You guys do make a good point that most of the problems on the '97 Grand Prix have been fixed already. A lot of the habitual problems do occur in the first couple of years. My car really hasn't had too many problems since it turn 75k miles or so.
#107635 - 04/26/04 10:59 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
Quote:
i knew I have seen this somewhere, don`t mean to sound like a know it all but ... I was right.

http://thrashercharged.com/tech_htm/FAQ-4t65E.shtm
Yes... If you referring to a '97 GT or SE. Thrasher's website indicates that the only models the 4T60E came in were the '97 GTs and SEs. The '98 and newer GTs and SEs (and all L67s) came with the 4T65E.

I was just remembering reading a thread a while ago about the differences between the '97 4T65Es and the '98 and newer versions. Like I mentioned earlier... it had something to do with going with a different supplier of input shafts. The supplier of the '97 input shafts were hardened stronger than the '98 and newer.

If I missed the mark... I apologize in advance.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#107636 - 04/26/04 11:22 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
blown_gp Offline
no sweat Mark, I value your opinion very much, I just know that our new comer is thinking about buying a 97 gt and I though he better beware of the tranny difference.
#107637 - 04/26/04 11:23 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
blown_gp Offline
sorry I mispelled your name..
#107638 - 04/26/04 11:47 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
Definately get the GTP. The price difference is not that much and there is so much more you can do to it and cheaper. My 2000 GTP is the best car I have ever owned. I got it with 40,000 miles and am closing up on 70,000 with out a single problem. Not even one! I might have to change the stuts soon bu that is normal maintenance. I put less than $300 in it and Im running close to 300 HP at the crank. And very low 14's in the 1/4 mile. another $400 and Ill be at low 13's. You can do so much to these cars. You will kick your self in the ass later for not getting the GTP I promise. Almost every GT owner I know wants a GTP after getting the GT and riding with some of us GTP owners!!!
#107639 - 04/26/04 12:56 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
Quote:
no sweat Mark, I value your opinion very much, I just know that our new comer is thinking about buying a 97 gt and I though he better beware of the tranny difference.
That's cool. I just have a tendency to think in terms of GTPs. I guess I kinda lost my original train of thought regarding the GT question.

But! Smoof... if you're seriously looking into a Grand Prix, test drive both a GT and a GTP to make sure you really know what each has to offer. Knowing what I know now... I seriously consider getting year older GTP than a newer GT. That's if they're similiar in condition. Not that there's anything wrong with GTs. I don't want to be labled as a GT "hater". I like them as well and they certainly have a niche. However... you just can't beat a screaming supercharger to get someone's attention. hammer

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#107640 - 04/26/04 01:18 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Not to stear to far I think the 97 gt's are getting an unfair rap tranny wise if you check i think you'll find the 4t60e had no more problem's than the 4t65e I know i'm running 272whp with a stock tran's and have had no problem's and i like the low end grunt of a lower ratio in fact in 1/8 mile most stock GT's will spank a stock GTP but getting top end hp= lower 1/4 et's requires cam, headers, dhp or eq.,HVTB , and larger injector's.
#107641 - 04/26/04 01:18 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
GTPJack Offline
Loc: Hoover, AL
Like all those guys are saying, it's hit or miss, but the most important is maintenance I did have to repair my tranny on my 1997 GTP at about 106k miles. It was building to very high temps, at least that is what I was told. I wasn't given much warning, just driving home from work one night hammer laugh and it lost power. I used to drive it really hard.

I think you have to learn your car too. I like mine better now, than when I first got it. I think our cars should have come standard with a tranny cooler. Got one now. I can't complain, still the best car I've ever owned.

Hey Marc, I got your back with the 97's

Jack

Next: 3" down pipe, SD Ram Air Hood,
#107642 - 04/26/04 01:59 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
blown_gp Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
in 1/8 mile most stock GT's will spank a stock GTP but getting top end hp= lower 1/4 et's requires cam, headers, dhp or eq.,HVTB , and larger injector's.
not to sound like a "GT hater" but where are you getting your numbers from, I always thought that the GTP was the torque monster of the two, and as we all know torque peaks occour at mid RPM`s, just curious...
#107643 - 04/26/04 08:49 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
Smoof Offline
Well, reading up and looking at some of those KBB prices I think I'll go with the GTP. I'm a sucker for more power and a superchager. But, it'll still be a while before I can get mine! I still need to fix some of the problems with my truck so I can hopefully get about 4k for it. Otherwise, I'm going to be really happy to be a GP owner. I've always wanted one of these years!
Plus my girlfriend isn't going to let me buy any other car, hah.
Oh, BTW, GT/GTP came standard with leather seating didn't it? I'm just curious, cause all that I see have leather. I don't much like leather, but I can deal with it for a sweet car. Buring Civics and Preludes left and right will be a thrill. Certainly move a lot quicker and get a lot better gas milage than I'm used to.
Oh and by the way, what are the MPG numbers on these? Just curious, my Bronco gets a whopping 9mpg. Insurence as well, I assume it's pretty high for a sporty sedan?
#107644 - 04/27/04 07:15 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
I don't believe leather was standard. There are plenty GTs/GTPs with cloth seats. Although, leather is the more common of the two. Gas mileage is going to vary with driving styles and geographic area. If you have a heavy foot and live in the mountains... count on your gas mileage sucking. My '97 GTP (back a few years ago) was seeing 32 MPG hwy and 28 MPG city. Now that it's a bit older and getting just a little worn out, I'm seeing 29/23. BTW I live in central VA where it's relatively flat with just a little rolling hills.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#107645 - 04/27/04 07:16 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by GTPjack:
Hey Marc, I got your back with the 97's
Thanks Jack! I appreciate that...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#107646 - 04/27/04 07:37 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
PORKCHOP Offline
Loc: MALTA, N.Y.
I'd consider a used GT before I'd consider a used GTP, unless I knew It was "ADULT" owned. Why do you think people want the S/C, not to go to wal-mart. It's usually for a little STREET and or STRIP, and show-off's for who is ever looking. These used GTP's come from somewhere and It's usually not the AARP population. 130K on a 97' GT no tranny or engine problems. So I think these are driven a lot harder than a GT. P'CHOP savewave
#107647 - 04/27/04 08:30 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
tc Offline
Loc: Roch. N.Y.
Here we go again with the age thing! What is an adult? 21 as the law sees it? 30's married with children and a home, 40's cheating on his wife with the hot office help? 50's dreaming of retirement sitting on the porch watching traffic go by? Take a long look at the next street rod show or cruise in and judge their age. Most are from the 50's and the start of drag racing! Just kidding guys.....I have a Daytona 2000 GTP owned by my wife (I won't give her age, but she graduated in 59) Her car will be 4-sale soon. no
#107648 - 04/27/04 09:30 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
Marc Harbison Offline
I agree with tc... age, maturity, responsibility,... those are relative at best. I'm picking up my Mom's '99 GTP in July to replace my '97. It's in great shape with @ 37K miles on it. Oh, BTW... she's a member of AARP.

I've notice a lot of GTPs that are owned by older folks who (by the looks of them) probably don't even know what a supercharger is, let alone modify one.

When buying a used car, know what kind of car you're looking for and be as educated about them as you can. Know what nagging problems the model has and whether or not there was a factory fix for it. It's not hard to protect yourself so long as your smart about it.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#107649 - 04/27/04 11:03 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
I bet my GTP has been driven easier than any other car on here.
#107650 - 04/27/04 11:32 AM Re: Hello all! New here...
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
i hope you gota wallet full of cash laugh cause ill take that bet!!! cowboy
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#107651 - 04/27/04 12:20 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
Are you saying that the person who brought the term "keep it hammered" to this board drives his car easy?

devilgrin

Edited for post 666
#107652 - 04/27/04 12:28 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
4 T 8 states Offline
when its not hammered, o yeah... bicycles can beat me.. but i might have to back away from you.

did you notice what number you posted on your last response to my challenge? angel
#107653 - 04/27/04 12:38 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
I had to edit it to put the smilie up in honor of the post number.
#107654 - 04/27/04 12:43 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
4 T 8 states Offline
devileek wink
#107655 - 04/27/04 12:48 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
4 T 8 states Offline
p.s the devils money is just as good as any body eles money cool
#107656 - 04/27/04 04:38 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Are you gonna do something or just talk.

I'm with 4 T 8.

Alex cheers

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#107657 - 04/27/04 04:41 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Where can i find pictures of all you cars??

Alex. cheers

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#107658 - 04/27/04 05:49 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
My dad is pushing 60 and he has driven all his hot rods alot harder than most I know. But you do have to stay away from the cars owned by younger kids. They will for sure be driven hard!

The dealer says they get 18mpg in the city and 28 on highway. depending on how you drive it is better or worse. I usually average over 30 on the highway and around town im usually closer to about 15mpg. when my girl drives it is usually closer to 20mpg in the city. She is afraid to gun it even when it was stock!
#107659 - 04/27/04 09:02 PM Re: Hello all! New here...
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex:
Where can i find pictures of all you cars??

Alex. cheers
Maybe I'll make an official pictures thread.