Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109250 - 01/25/08 09:27 AM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
For that much damage and a bent subframe (I assume they streightened it out) $2k sound very reasonable... But yes, cant wait for the pics!
#109251 - 01/25/08 02:28 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Yea, they straightened the frame, replaced the bumper and bumper absorber, and are just straightening the radiator and condenser. They said those simply had a bow in them, not a sharp jab, and when they just bend them back into place, they usually work properly for the rest of the life of the car.

Frankly, it saved me $700, and since $2000 was about the limit I could spend, I didn't have much choice. If there's a problem, I can always replace them later. But they didn't give me any problems while they were bent, so... *shrugs*

But because of all the extra stuff that was bent, it should ride a little better when I get it back, and I'm kinda hoping maybe it'll fix the squealing noise. But I doubt it, I think it's wheel hub related.
#109252 - 01/26/08 06:02 AM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Acefighter Offline
Yay! It's official, I have her back. thumbsup I'll post some pics tomorrow, but since I'm up so late tonight, it won't be first thing in the morning. laugh

Man, I'd had the damage for so long, and it happened so soon after I got the car, I'd forgotten how good it looked. laugh laugh jawdrop

They DID repair the dent in the fender, which I didn't know they were going to do. They also said they replaced the coolant, but I've got a low coolant light on. confused I'll get some tomorrow.

And the bulbs for my fog lamps are gone... eek confused Those things are expensive, so I'm gonna see if I can get reimbursed for them.
#109253 - 01/26/08 12:35 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
congrats... i cant wait to see pics

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#109254 - 01/26/08 03:39 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Acefighter Offline
OK, I have them. Naturally, I parked the front right in a shadow... >.< I was too lazy to move it, but it's a clear difference anyway.

Before:

After:

Much better. laugh

After I get new tires and probably an aftermarket intake, the next visual repair I need to do is touch up the paint on the front end:

My friends and I are probably going to the Battleship Texas again in a couple weeks, since we didn't get a good chance to look through it last time, so I'll get some better pics for you then. thumbsup
#109255 - 01/26/08 03:53 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Looks great! A lot better than it was before. Is that paint damage from the accident? Looks like the clearcoat is peeling. You should have asked them reclear the other fender for you, I'm sure they would've done it for not much more.

Are those new headlights too?

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#109256 - 01/26/08 04:11 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
nice glad to see it turned out good, ya redoing the clear shouldnt be that much, but i dont really know

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#109257 - 01/26/08 04:51 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Acefighter Offline
No, the paint isn't from the accident. The hood if from the heat coming out of the hood scoops (the are actual "heat extractors" according to Pontiac), and I assume the fender is from when the hood wouldn't close all the way, the heat rolling out from the hood.

As for the headlights, yes, I bought new ones after the accident, because the old ones were all fogged up. They replaced the grills like I didn't want them too, but I would have been pissed if they replaced the headlights too. lol

And just for the record, the red F-150 in the background is my dad's rental truck, so that's why it's there instead of the older maroon one in the other pics. I REALLY like that rental truck, and I only drove it across the street to Advanced Auto Parts to get coolant and fog bulbs. laugh I prefer my car, though, of course. devilsmile
#109258 - 01/27/08 04:19 AM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Acefighter Offline
Hey, question for you guys that I forgot about.

When I got the car back, the guy who gave it to me relayed that he'd been told by the body shop that my air conditioner won't work right now. Some valve(s?) was/were leaking, and because of that, they couldn't refill the refrigerant. Any idea what valve they were talking about?
#109259 - 01/27/08 06:52 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Richard Candelario Offline
IIRC theres a high-pressure "BOV" for the compressor. Not for certain, but I believe the AC system has a series of valves and reliefs to ensure the compressor dont blow themselves up. You might wanna take it to an AC shop or something to get a second opinion/solid diagnosis.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#109260 - 01/27/08 10:51 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
wow, thats nice. I wish I had the car because I love that color but the peeling on the hood and fender doesn't look to bad.
#109261 - 01/27/08 11:27 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
in order to fix the peeling on the hood and fender you would have to repaint the hole thing you cant just do clear
#109262 - 01/27/08 11:39 PM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
20gtp02 Offline
I'm sorry you have to sport that license plate there to cover up the new and improved Beauty!

#109263 - 01/28/08 02:45 AM Re: Whoo-hoo! (56k beware)
Acefighter Offline
Oh, I plan on getting the license plate cover. Technically, Texas requires you to have both plates, but I could drive around town for just five minutes and find at least one car that doesn't have a front plate. One of the most frequent offenders are Firebirds, actually...lol Obviously, it's not enforced here.

I'll just keep the second one in my trunk, so if I do get pulled over somewhere else, I'll just ask the officer to let me change it real quick and hopefully get off with a warning. smile

And Rick, thanks for the info. That's kind of what I figured. I wasn't able to get much info when I got the car back because I actually drop it off and receive it at an office - it gets transported to the body shop somewhere else. So they body shop guy told the office guy, who told me and didn't really know all the info. :rolleyes:
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2