Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109807 - 02/10/06 01:04 PM window
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Well I finally got around to fixing my driver side window. I ordered my motor/regulator on Ebay from Zbra with shipping the total came to $149. There were some cheaper ones out there but Zbra looked more impressive to me. Shipping was quick and the part was as advertised.

Now for the fun part. I plug the motor in without the window and everything worked.

Installed window window go down window go up...now no work!!!

Window go down
window no go up!!

Pull the switch out put the meter on it switch reads good.???

Try again motor go up
motor go down

motor go up and stop.
Ok now I smell something.

Window switch is now fried!!!!

Ran to the dealership they had one in stock $89 worth.

Installed new switch window works everytime. Now I wonder if maybe my original problem was the switch the whole time. I destroyed on window regulator because I thought the switch was good from meter readings.

So $250 later window works.

For those who have problems in the future I suggest getting a 12 volt power source and wire it directly to the motor and see if it'll spin in both directions before ordering parts.
#109808 - 02/10/06 01:14 PM Re: window
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
that su..you know!

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#109809 - 02/10/06 01:45 PM Re: window
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
We've all had our share of paying too much for something small that's a fraction of the total. Don't fess over it Herc. It's done and your window works. laugh
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#109810 - 02/10/06 02:02 PM Re: window
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
At least it works now... but that $250 could have been put towards some mods Herc.
#109811 - 02/10/06 02:27 PM Re: window
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
At least it works now... but that $250 could have been put towards some mods Herc.
We call this "to put some lemon on the wound"

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#109812 - 02/10/06 06:05 PM Re: window
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex:
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
[b] At least it works now... but that $250 could have been put towards some mods Herc.
We call this "to put some lemon on the wound" [/b]
We use "salt" here in the US, but lemon will work just as good, gives about the same amount of pain. crazy

That really sucks herc, but atleast it's fixed.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#109813 - 02/10/06 06:19 PM Re: window
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Update

Now my door lock switch doesn't work!!! The damn plug musta fallin off. Gotta pull the damn panel again!

I hate working outside when it's 15*F outside!!!
#109814 - 02/10/06 07:10 PM Re: window
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
BRrrrrr

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#109815 - 02/10/06 07:39 PM Re: window
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Update

Now my door lock switch doesn't work!!! The damn plug musta fallin off. Gotta pull the damn panel again!

I hate working outside when it's 15*F outside!!!
If it makes you feel better, its in the 60s here and I've got my windows open enjoying the breeze, a beer, and a steak on the grill.

Oh wait, that makes ME feel better.
#109816 - 02/10/06 08:55 PM Re: window
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Hey I still fire up the grill and pop a beer!!

PS

Just wait till this summer when your crying about how hot it is and I'll say It's nice here only a balmy 78 smile
#109817 - 02/10/06 10:22 PM Re: window
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Uggh.... I know the feeling. I've got a couple hundred dollars worth of plugs, a FP resistor, and gauge(which isn't a bad thing) because of me thinking "That's the problem"

http://pdxcgp.com
#109818 - 02/11/06 08:47 AM Re: window
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The part I kick myself for is I tore apart the original regulator to temp fix my window so I could drive in the cold wet.

I relied on my meter readings of the switch and assumed the motor was the culprit. If I woulda hot wired the motor first before ripping it apart I might have saved myself 150. But I'll never know.

But you do gotta love a problem thar shows its self like smoke pouring out from under a switch smile
#109819 - 02/11/06 11:54 AM Re: window
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Yeah, BOTH my passenger windows quit working on my '98 with about 38K on the odometer. The dealer wanted a fortune to fix them saying the motors were burnt out. Needless to say, I didn't get them fixed!

I knew there was a power drain when I'd push on the switch, so I kept working the switch back and forth and all of a sudden, the window started working! I did the same to the other window and it finally started working too. 92K miles later, they're BOTH still working .... IF I don't put the window all the way up. I'll raise it, then tap the switch in the down position and they work fine, but if I put it up and forget to tap the switch in the opposite direction, it'll lock up in no time.

There's got to be some kind of burr in the window assembly or motor that causes this. mad

Don
#109820 - 02/11/06 12:48 PM Re: window
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
I guess I got lucky, My driver side switch just locked up on me and wouldn't move in either direction. So I replaced it and everything is fine.
#109821 - 02/11/06 01:11 PM Re: window
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The weird thing was when I unplugged the motor and put my meter on the lead then push the swithc in both directions I would read 12 volts.

By the way my window still goes up real slow with the new motor.

I think it's a design flaw. Because when I tore my old regulator apart and tried pulling on the wires to go up it took quite a strain to move it. With the window unbolted I was able to easily push the window up.