Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109929 - 01/13/03 11:14 PM Bye Bye AC Delco system?
03 Limited Edition Offline
Loc: Maryland
I just bought a 2003 Grand Prix and I am seriously thinking about putting an after market stereo system in. I already have a lot of experience with installing things in GM vehicles, but I still wonder how much of a pain it is to take the car apart. Can anyone give me some helpful hints that may make me feel better about taking apart my dash and my rear seat? Also crutchfield sells two adapters, one which connects the onstar interface with an aftermarket radio, and the other connects the steering wheel controls with an after market radio. Has anyone else tried using these adapters with an after market head unit, and if so what were the results? Thanx in advance for any expert advice

Jon (Long time GP fan, first time owner)
#109930 - 01/18/03 08:20 PM Re: Bye Bye AC Delco system?
Chronicspd Offline
Loc: High Ridge, MO
If the dash on the 2003 is like my 2002 the dash panel should just pop off, if it is the first time it has been taken off it might be kinda snug. after that there are only 2 screws to take out the stereo. As for the adapters, I haven't used them yet, I'm still without Onstar for now.
#109931 - 01/18/03 09:28 PM Re: Bye Bye AC Delco system?
Chuck Offline
Loc: Memphis
Jon,

The dash pops out pretty easily, and the radio is just a couple of screws after that. As for the rear seat, it's very easy to get out, too. If you'd like, I can e-mail or fax you a copy of the Crutchfield master install sheets and you can see how easy it is.

The Grand Prix Store (www.grandprixstore.com) and the Club GP store (www.clubgpstore.com) both sell adapters that let you use your aftermarket HU with the steering wheel controls and interface with OnStar. The only bad thing is you lose the interface to the Head Up Display. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution for that one yet...
#109932 - 01/19/03 07:27 PM Re: Bye Bye AC Delco system?
03 Limited Edition Offline
Loc: Maryland
Thanx for the help guys. I still need to decide if it is worth $100 to make my onstar work. I am going to keep the steering wheel controls cause they are nice to have. laugh All I need now is to find good spots to ground my amps.
#109933 - 01/20/03 12:38 PM Re: Bye Bye AC Delco system?
GtpRed Offline
Loc: MN
as regards to the amp...I have 2 10 inch subs in my trunk with a 600 watt 2 channel amp. What I did was take a steel screw and screw into the metal in the trunk (right where the 3rd brake light is. It works great. Just an idea for you, I am sure that there are many more places depending on where you place your amp. Hope you get eveything to work!