Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110387 - 06/28/02 10:29 AM Smoked a 00' GTP?
Kerzwhile Offline
Loc: Cape Coral FL.
Ok this is weird! Last night I met a guy with a 2000 GTP in a parking lot. After B.S.ing for a while on how much we love our cars " I have a 97' GTP" he wanted to race. I'm game so we go. We both get great launches. At about 60 MPH I was about 2 1/2 car lengths ahead. We stop and he says what the hell have you done to that thing? I have a 9" open cone, & no resonator, thats it. Those mods don't warrant that kind of pounding! So what gives? Do I have a factory freak or what? Thanks in advance!! Jim confused hammer
#110388 - 07/11/02 11:01 PM Re: Smoked a 00' GTP?
JerryH Offline
Loc: Dallas, Texas (ex-Montrealer)
Hi there,

A few things come into play... first if yours is a 2 door and his is a 4 door, he is heavier. I am a firm believer of proper break-in periods. A good friend of mine and I got our GTP's that are IDENTICAL with buid dates a touch over 1 month apart. His was beaten on right out of the parking lot, mine was babied for the first 2500 miles. I take him EVERY time in the 1/4 mile by about 3-4 car lengths. Driver technique... a little spin compared to a good launch can cause a big differnce in outcome, even to 60mph.

I think its more a combination of the above points rather than your having some freak car. Now if you told us that you can do consistant 13.5's @ 103mph with your car's current mods, THEN it would be a freak. wink
"The Mistress is back!"
http://syner-g.org