Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110524 - 06/08/07 10:09 AM paint help....
GTPJesse Offline
Loc: Wis
Hey guys,

I want to go paint the engine brace......idk what their called...but there's one on each side, and the stock color is usally black..........I want to paint them red. But I was wondering what paint to use, and how to take them off? Should I worry about the engine moving or not being able to put them back on?? Should I use some sort of high temp paint like the caliper paint??

Thanks in adv!
Appearance mods= 20% tint all around, HID's, rerouted flashes to fogs and tails, front grill has a Red Gtp badge,Calipers painted red, engine cover painted silver, and with red lettering, rear pontiac red overlays, and side Gtp badges have red overlays, Silver star fogs, A piller w/gauges boost installed, oil, knock have to be installed, and a GPS.

Mods to come= 3" DP, and others........haven't thought about it
#110525 - 06/08/07 11:27 AM Re: paint help....
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
If you're talking about the angled long ones, and not the two engine mounts...
you can take them off by taking the 3 bolts out of each. Just don't drive/move the car around much while they're off. Those won't affect the engine's mounting. Should be 14 or 15mm socket.

Originally I used red tractor paint. Can't remember if it was temperature rated, but it would probably be a good idea if you got something temperature rated so it doesn't get gooey or sticky on hot city-driving days.

Caliper paint would probably be a little more expensive than necessary. Also use spray paint, and put quite a few coats on, drying an hour or so in between.

Of course, if you really want a good look, get them powdercoated (get some spares to put on while you're having it done of course).
Enjoy.
#110526 - 06/08/07 11:28 AM Re: paint help....
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
i think that we had a thread about this not too long ago. I belive that you didnt have to use high temp paint. Just make sure that you prep the surface real good prior to painting

Edit: and BTW, they are called crossbraces. laugh
#110527 - 06/08/07 12:55 PM Re: paint help....
BLEWGTP Offline
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
unless your talking about the front dogbones (motor mounts) that keeps the engine from rocking back and forth into the firewall and radiator...
#110528 - 06/09/07 09:46 AM Re: paint help....
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You can remove the dogbones and paint them and the cross braces and paint as well. Don't drive without the dogbones but you can drive without the cross braces. Use a quality spray paint. It doesn't have to be high temp. The only places that need high temp are heads, block, exhaust compenents etc. Basically if you can touch the part with your hand when hot you don't need high temp.
#110529 - 06/09/07 09:46 AM Re: paint help....
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You can remove the dogbones and paint them and the cross braces and paint as well. Don't drive without the dogbones but you can drive without the cross braces. Use a quality spray paint. It doesn't have to be high temp. The only places that need high temp are heads, block, exhaust compenents etc. Basically if you can touch the part with your hand when hot you don't need high temp.