Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110684 - 11/10/08 10:26 PM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
Quote:
The worst that could happen by splicing into the yellow wire, is either one of the main ignition fuses will pop, or the dash will catch fire, no big deal...
I cut the orange wire and put a relay between them. amazingly no fires or popped fuses!!

are you saying that as a precaution so that people who have no prior experience don't go hacking into their wiring? Because putting a relay between 2 cut wires is not going to start a fire.....

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110685 - 11/10/08 10:48 PM Re: "start" button?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
what kind of relay do you reccomend for it? A link would be nice, ive done minor electrical stuff (gauges, speakers, etc.) but nothing with relays and switches. especially not with the ignition system.

edit: this diagram seems to be different?
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=...de=1&s=#2719676
#110686 - 11/10/08 11:02 PM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
something like this would work just fine.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-073

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110687 - 11/10/08 11:08 PM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
yea you are right, I guess it was early when I drew up my diagram.

it simply just wouldnt work unless you held the key in the "start" position AND pushed the button at the same time.

I am surprised black arrow didn't catch that!

I will update it shortly.

good catch ordonez laugh

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110688 - 11/10/08 11:32 PM Re: "start" button?
20gtp02 Offline
I have electrical experience, but looknig at complicated diagrams I don't like.

#110689 - 11/10/08 11:51 PM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
I looked at the one on clubgp that ordonez linked to, and its a good idea, but its NOT necessary to tap into the cluster harness. The guy did that so once the car is running, the starter can't continue to try starting. Letting off the button works too.

HOWEVER, should your push button switch get stuck down, your starter would continue to turn over, of course IF that did happen, you could just turn off the ignition switch. (that is why its important to connect the power source to a source that is also switched OFF by the ignition switch!

Another point to make is if you are going to get into this project, you might as well do the "ignition saver mod".

Although I don't have any problems wiring things (I used to do it for a living on buses). I guess I should also be careful on what I call "easy".
I'd really hate to see someone ruin there car by not doing things properly (twisting wires together and taping them is NOT the right way!) Spend some money on QUALITY connectors, and the proper tools to get the wires stripped, and crimpers for the connectors.

and MOST important, is if you don't feel comfortable doing this, DO NOT do it then!

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110690 - 11/11/08 02:20 AM Re: "start" button?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'll be honest that I havent felt comfortable doing pretty much anything electrical on cars except the very simple things like lights or speakers. I'm with jaybur big time on the whole deal of connectors and plugs as opposed to twisting wires...just safer all the way around.

We all have to learn sometime...I know couple other members have given out phone numbers to provide some one-on-one tech support for some projects but that is a personal & privacy issue taken by the provider of info if they wish to go there.
The diagram from clubgp "Backin Black" seems slightly more complex but that guy has proven he knows his cookies...one of those "building a laser rifle is childs play" types...I envy him enough to hate him lol

As long as the guys with the knowledge dont mind answering the "dumb questions" from us elec noobs, I think this is a doable project. eBay wouldnt sell so many of them if it was all that hard...and I havent seen Miatas or S2000s bursting into flames either. laugh

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#110691 - 11/11/08 03:30 AM Re: "start" button?
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by jaybur:
Quote:
The worst that could happen by splicing into the yellow wire, is either one of the main ignition fuses will pop, or the dash will catch fire, no big deal...
I cut the orange wire and put a relay between them. amazingly no fires or popped fuses!!

are you saying that as a precaution so that people who have no prior experience don't go hacking into their wiring? Because putting a relay between 2 cut wires is not going to start a fire.....
I was joking when I made the comment, however I do remember a customer's '99 Grand Prix in which the Yellow wire of the ignition harness was hacked (and I do mean Hacked!) apart, and speaker wire was used by someone to install an aftermarket alarm system, using twist n' tape technology. Said install blew one of the main ignition fuses, causing the car to be towed in and repaired.
At the customer's request, the alarm system was removed and the ignition switch harness was replaced. He had just bought the car, and didn't know about the alarm, which was an accident waiting to happen. (and did.. wink )

I posted the starting circuit diagram for you guys to play around with, and it's not my job to catch anyone's mistakes... laugh
#110692 - 11/11/08 08:52 AM Re: "start" button?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
this onelooks like it would fit the bill...
start button

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#110693 - 11/11/08 09:51 AM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
that switch looks good the "12V 16 amp" is all I was looking for. Especially if you use a relay the amperage won't have to be very high, but the higher amp load it can handle the better in my opinion.

I can handle automotive and bus wiring, but what I still don't understand is how to open up a broken tv and finding the problem. I think people that know how to find the problem on complex circuitry are the real electronics gurus.

Blackarrow seems to be very knowledgeable with wiring, as well as the guy on clubgp.

And I too have seen hacked up wiring jobs and wondered why a fire had not occurred due to the crappy wiring.

also I don't want to work against anyone, and would hope people wouldn't want to work against me. so if anyone has comments or questions post them up in a respectable manner so they can be worked out. cheers

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110694 - 11/11/08 09:54 AM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
and just in case anyone missed what I said earlier in the post, I HAVE installed a push button start set up already, on my daughters old preschool teachers mercedes (1982). Its still working great, and its been about 8 months now.

her situation required one because the "start" position on her car was no longer working.

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110695 - 11/11/08 10:53 AM Re: "start" button?
20gtp02 Offline
Ignition saver mod???

#110696 - 11/11/08 10:55 AM Re: "start" button?
20gtp02 Offline
Yes, Tbat, that is a switch I would use.
Did you happen to check out the links I posted.
The scion guy used that one, plus his video is on one of the sites I posted.
I am highly capable of doing this, as long as I know which wires do what.
I didn't get why he taped into cluster harness either.

Quote:
yea you are right, I guess it was early when I drew up my diagram.

it simply just wouldnt work unless you held the key in the "start" position AND pushed the button at the same time.

I am surprised black arrow didn't catch that!

I will update it shortly.

good catch ordonez
is there an update?

#110697 - 11/11/08 11:29 AM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
I think its a cool idea for what he did tapping into the cluster harness, its just not necessary.

as far as the ignition saver mod:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3971796&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

and I did update the diagram on page 3, I just edited the post.

*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110698 - 11/11/08 11:37 AM Re: "start" button?
20gtp02 Offline
What's the reason for the cluster harness?

And in your diagram, are you capping the other side of the yellow wire like black did?

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >