Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110759 - 11/18/08 01:45 PM Re: "start" button?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Spend the extra dollar or three and go to the store and buy a relay.
#110760 - 11/18/08 02:02 PM Re: "start" button?
20gtp02 Offline
HAHA. Well I spoke to them and they are sending it out free shipping now by friday.

#110761 - 11/18/08 11:28 PM Re: "start" button?
MAC GTP Offline
Loc: Willow Grove,PA
i dont mean to make it over-complicated but would it be possible to do what some of the nissan maximas do and have just the keyfob be in your pocket and the button will work instead of having to use a priming switch?

that would just be cool
#110762 - 11/18/08 11:48 PM Re: "start" button?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by MAC GTP:
i dont mean to make it over-complicated but would it be possible to do what some of the nissan maximas do and have just the keyfob be in your pocket and the button will work instead of having to use a priming switch?

that would just be cool
http://www.rfidtoys.net/
#110763 - 11/19/08 09:56 AM Re: "start" button?
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
Still need to do something about the ignition lock, unless you don;t plan on driving the car around.

ordonez1307

What specifically are you linking to?

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#110764 - 11/19/08 10:46 AM Re: "start" button?
20gtp02 Offline
Yah, I clicked that link when someone else posted it, doesn't link to what is mentioned.

#110765 - 11/19/08 10:49 AM Re: "start" button?
daffyduc Offline
Loc: knoxville tn
Quote:
Originally posted by jaybur:

What specifically are you linking to?
rfid toys is a how to book for rfid projects. I actually have it if any one wants to see what its about I can scan the chapters pertaining to cars to PDF.

its a great book if you are looking to do this kind of thing.
#110766 - 11/19/08 10:51 AM Re: "start" button?
daffyduc Offline
as far as the RFID proximity sensor like nissan uses.

these are very expensive and fairly complex. it does have a good write up and project in RFID toys on these types of systems but it is not for the faint at heart.

active RFID systems like this require custom code as well to integrate with other systems. it can be done but its not going to be easy.

I have used many of the projects as starting points for projects for work (network/systems administrator). specifically to control our access gates and secure areas door locks.

the book provides very detailed step by step instructions that explains why you are doing certain things as well. this makes it easy to take a little bit from each project to develop your own systems to meet your needs.

one thing i have considered doing is using an rfid system in the car for this purpose that would act very much like nissans proximity sensor.

explanation:

have an rfid reader in the door as well as the center console or seat.

keep rfid card in your wallet

when your wallet gets close to the door less than a foot away the door unlocks.

when you sit in the seat the rfid card is read and triggers the car to the start position.

press the start button and away you go.

this system would cost about $200-$300 bucks but would require some real engineering to pull off...

I would be willing to put the time in to it if I had the time....

how cool would it be to not need to carry any keys any more.

you could rig the trunk the same way and the door to your house (doors are extremely easy and cheap to do if you have 110v near by)

I might have to do the research the more I think about this I want to do it..... it would be awesome laugh
#110767 - 11/19/08 11:22 AM Re: "start" button?
daffyduc Offline
here is a chapter from the book that covers Getting in the front door using a standalone RFID system. to make this work in a car swap the 2 orange wires shown on page 11 soldered to short the dead bolt with the door locks or ignition or what ever you want. the problem is in a car it has to short them and stay shorted or the car will turn off..... essentially you are hot wiring your car on command. (just like a remote start system would as well).

for 16 bucks $25.00 retail the book is well worth picking up if you are at all interested in this stuff....
#110768 - 11/19/08 01:07 PM Re: "start" button?
daffyduc Offline
after going to lunch and thinking it over this would actually be fairly easy to do.

you would have to have a switch that would short all the wires that access the start position (just like if the key was turned to the on position) the rfid would control be linked to the wire for the starter. you would also have a push button for the starter. what this means is that until the rfid system was activated by the fob you could not turn the starter with the buton. you could put the car to the start position but not access the starter at all with out the fob and as long as the starter button was not pressed the starter would not be turning.

thats how you would do this cheaply.

also you would have to break the steering lock. or by pass it some how. but I could see this being done for under 100 bucks easy.
#110769 - 11/19/08 01:10 PM Re: "start" button?
daffyduc Offline
you would have to pick a few of the chapters to get info from but it would be pretty easy.

I would find the instructions for a remote start system to get the wires together and figure out what is needed to start it.

when we installed the remote start in the blazer one of the steps was to basically hot wire the car to make sure we had the right wires. the only reason you cannot dirve off with a remote start system is you connect the brake lights to a port that stops the engine.

Holy crap thats the answer!!!!

install a remote start system dont hook up the brake safety wire, bypass the steering lock some how, take the remote apart and have the rfid short the start button on the remote!!!

have a switch on the dash to interrupt the circuit to kill the car and a button to turn the starter but getting in the car would turn it to the start position.... push the starter drive away. push a second button to kill the engine.

laugh

DONE!
#110770 - 11/19/08 07:58 PM Re: "start" button?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'm glad you guys are rambling on about all this other stuff...the more I read the simpler what I plan to do sounds. thumbsup

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#110771 - 11/19/08 11:21 PM Re: "start" button?
20gtp02 Offline
We trying keep it cheap and simple, just add some flavor!

#110772 - 11/20/08 10:49 AM Re: "start" button?
daffyduc Offline
yeah but its nice to have options laugh

also this string will be referenced by many people looking to do this in the future.... best to get as much info as possible....

if I decide to pursue this (seriously considering it) i will sure to make a step by step how to.
#110773 - 11/20/08 12:46 PM Re: "start" button?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I'm going to start with just a push button. It's going to be a big step for me in the electronics department.