Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111928 - 02/02/09 11:51 PM Re: My baby is dead.
Cerberus Offline
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
If the park avenue is in good shape, no problems go with it, sounds like a decent deal
#111929 - 02/03/09 01:30 AM Re: My baby is dead.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I've decided to get rid of the car. As I calculate things, its going to take a least 5 grand to fix everything and I figure I could get another great used car with that money. I hate having to do payments again but another 1 1/2 years is not going to hurt. I was fortunate to have a great solid car to last this long. I had better luck with american cars than those other cars. I had a Volvo, Hyndai, and Camry and those cars did not last near the mileage this grand prix did and this was only the 3100 motor.

I don't know if I wanna get another grand prix but I will get something with a 3800 motor in it.
#111930 - 02/03/09 02:04 AM Re: My baby is dead.
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
not sure what year camry you had, but the car I had before i got my GP was a 95 camry, with 340,000 miles on it! oddly enough, I regret selling it. Not that I think it is a better car, but because I was pretty much debt free back then....

that park ave is gonna feel like a rocket if your GP only had the 3.1 in it, lol.

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#111931 - 02/03/09 03:27 AM Re: My baby is dead.
Dre da GP man Offline
I had a 96 camry and the engine and tranny went out at 145,xxx miles.
#111932 - 02/03/09 04:17 AM Re: My baby is dead.
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
So your options are buy another used car or fix your Grandprix,well take a good look at the overall condition of your GP. interior,body,suspension ect. if it is in better than average condition I would say fix it or swap out the powertrain at least you will know what you have were-as buying another used car may be a chancy option and you may end up having to do repairs to your new ride,this is an opportunely to build your car that you want.Chico(pops)
#111933 - 02/03/09 10:58 AM Re: My baby is dead.
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I did a little browsing on autotrader and there are plenty of nice GP GTs and GTPs to be had for the kind of bucks your talking about...shucks I saw a few 04-up models I wouldnt mind grabbing up myself laugh
If you grab another 97-03 body style you could de-mod your present car and save few modding dollars.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#111934 - 02/03/09 10:25 PM Re: My baby is dead.
Dre da GP man Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
So your options are buy another used car or fix your Grandprix,well take a good look at the overall condition of your GP. interior,body,suspension ect. if it is in better than average condition I would say fix it or swap out the powertrain at least you will know what you have were-as buying another used car may be a chancy option and you may end up having to do repairs to your new ride,this is an opportunely to build your car that you want.Chico(pops)
That is why I decided not to fix it because if I buy another low milege engine, the tranny will go out because the tranny is slipping and then plus I would need new shocks,springs, tie-end rods on the front. If I didn't have to get another tranny I would fix my gp but with the tranny having to be replaced, its just too much money for me. I figure I can put that money into another low mileage car. My mechanic is going to go with my to the dealerships to check out the car(s) that Im interested in.
#111935 - 02/23/09 11:40 AM Re: My baby is dead.
Dre da GP man Offline
Well guys, I've decided to keep it because I found a person to do it. To replace both heads he is going to charge 1000 for everything if the heads are crack. If they are not crack he is going to charge 800-850 to machine the heads. Ive just love the gp too much and that it would be nice to not have payments after december coming.
#111936 - 02/23/09 07:42 PM Re: My baby is dead.
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
You should just drop an L67 in for that kind of money. wink
#111937 - 02/23/09 10:49 PM Re: My baby is dead.
Dre da GP man Offline
It would be too much for shipping and I had already estimated that and everything would come to 2000 dollars because of the shipping that ed charges. Im just going to save up and get a GTP by summer of 2010 if things go right.
#111938 - 02/24/09 12:09 AM Re: My baby is dead.
Letha Offline
Loc: TN
Here is something to consider if you have any technical schools near you. At the school i go to the auto shop charges $5 labor and you sign a wavier and they do all the work for free. Same for the welding shop, paint shop, HVAC, and same for the electronics class i'm in. These guys have did several jobs for me with great results. From 3:73's in my mustang, tire rotation/alignment to a brake booster in my GP today. I've watched them rebuild the new altima pancake transmissions and complete motors. There could be a small wait but if money is a issue this might be something you would want to consider or look in to.
#111939 - 02/24/09 01:55 AM Re: My baby is dead.
Dre da GP man Offline
I don't know any schools that do that around here.
#111940 - 02/24/09 10:55 AM Re: My baby is dead.
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
lol, don't ship an engine from ohio, get one from a local junkyard... some will even drop it in for you.
#111941 - 02/24/09 11:19 AM Re: My baby is dead.
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
My local junk yard charge whole engine complete for $199.99 so maybe you might get lucky to see any L67 in your junk yard area. Good luck fix her up. Hopefully, it will never have any problem in future. wink
#111942 - 02/24/09 12:21 PM Re: My baby is dead.
Dre da GP man Offline
Ok palsut, I never thought about doing that from a junkyark. I will look into this.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >