Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112105 - 01/14/05 06:26 AM new exhaust question
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
hey guys, been looking at doing cat-back system, and have decided to go ahead and change out everything except the manifolds. just a few questions

is the one that they sell at pfyc legal/will it set off my o2 sensor.

in plans to keep it relatively stock as a whole, how much bigger pipes can i put on the car without running into problems.

not sure about flowmaster, dynomax, or borla yet, but think i will just buy the muffs and put them on , so new resonator or no resonator?

lastly which is better? aluminized steel, stainless steel, or aluminun 100%

also if anybody has other info that might be helpful, feel free to pipe in, all input is appreciated!!!

TIA!!!!!!!!!
cheers
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#112106 - 01/14/05 07:50 AM Re: new exhaust question
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Well if your going to do from the mnflds back you must be talking about getting the RAT DP,then yes your o2 sensor will fit and the piece with the cat is legal ,go with the 3" dp ,for the cat back you have many choices and they are all good ,stainless is the best,next is aluminized steel then plain uncoated steel (which is what most exhaust shops use) you ca'nt get 100% aluminum pipeing for exhaust,the stainless will last the life of the car but is more expensive ,a good choice would be the GM stainless cat back around $500 I think.
#112107 - 01/14/05 08:43 AM Re: new exhaust question
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
3" dp is a good idea, as far as muffs i'd go with the flowmasters. If you get flowmasters someone on hear told me to go to ebay, seller is performance peddler and they only cost 45$ a piece, I had no problems gettign mine
#112108 - 01/14/05 10:32 AM Re: new exhaust question
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by hot2000gtp:
If you get flowmasters someone on hear told me to go to ebay, seller is performance peddler and they only cost 45$ a piece, I had no problems gettign mine
Depending upon what pipe size and model (e.g. Delta or Super 40).
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#112109 - 01/14/05 12:15 PM Re: new exhaust question
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
just get rid of the cat and get the o2 simulator. you'll be completely new all the way back from the engine
dhp 1.0
#112110 - 01/14/05 02:32 PM Re: new exhaust question
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The stock cat isn't all that restrictive. The DP and the Ubend are the weak spots. Please don't remove the stock cat for that 1 hp gain (if you want more flow get an aftermarket high flow cat. You'll never notice the difference between stock cat removed and straight pipes or stock cat and an after cat exhaust. besides it's against the law if you plan on keeping it street legal.
#112111 - 01/14/05 02:46 PM Re: new exhaust question
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
100% agree with Herc. The old philosophy of "cat is very restrictive" no longer applies with newer cars. If there is still any doubt, check out the dyno runs done by Thrasher in their exhaust backpressure study.

http://www.thrashercharged.com/tech_htm/exhaust.shtm.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#112112 - 01/16/05 07:44 PM Re: new exhaust question
ccs12 Offline
Loc: las vegas
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementeddj:
hey guys, been looking at doing cat-back system, and have decided to go ahead and change out everything except the manifolds. just a few questions

in plans to keep it relatively stock as a whole, how much bigger pipes can i put on the car without running into problems.

not sure about flowmaster, dynomax, or borla yet, but think i will just buy the muffs and put them on , so new resonator or no resonator?

also if anybody has other info that might be helpful, feel free to pipe in, all input is appreciated!!!

TIA!!!!!!!!!
cheers
#112113 - 01/16/05 07:44 PM Re: new exhaust question
ccs12 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementeddj:

TIA!!!!!!!!!
cheers
#112114 - 01/16/05 07:47 PM Re: new exhaust question
ccs12 Offline
Noticed you are going to add atranny cooler. Save your money. Check out info on zzperformance.com. These guys know their stuff.
#112115 - 01/17/05 01:53 AM Re: new exhaust question
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
already heard that about the tranny cooler, but if you look back at previous posts, you'll know why the tranny cooler is needed on my particular car
herc, didn't plan to need to change out the cat, but i figured that if the DP and U are going to be changed, it would be cheaper to just buy the one off PFYC, and change out the cat in the process, i wasn't going to do anything soon, just was under changing fuel filter, and noticed that i am in need of new pipe/muffs, cause there is rust creating leaks holes in muffs (great roads we have here), and soon to be in pipe (or at least looks that way) crazy devilgrin
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come