Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112514 - 09/03/05 11:58 PM I think my car is misleading
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
A guy was going at me on the highway today on my way to my girlfriends house. He had a new GP GT w/ rims and some sort of exhaust. He kept revving at me but I was staying at a constant speed. I got off the highway at the berlin turnpike, and he followed me. He pulled up next to me at a stoplight and I asked him if he really only had a GT, yes he did. when the light turned green, with my foot only at 3/4 throttle, I easily put 3 cars on him, and I could tell he was trying. I dont get it, just because my car is debadged, does that mean that its not a GTP, or was this guy just stupid? On the other note- the SHO I got romped on from a roll a few weeks ago got his ass kicked from a dig tonight (with 4 people and a full tank of gas in my car). Ive got to give it to him though, that things pretty damn quick from rolls. I went in his car and he was keeping up with an older moderately modified 5.0. I was impressed.

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
#112515 - 09/04/05 08:29 AM Re: I think my car is misleading
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
SHO are a wolf in sheeps clothing..that yamaha engine is a sweet plant for sure...If the taurus was lighter...who knows...
#112516 - 09/04/05 01:57 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
If the taurus wasn't soo damn ugly, that car would be quite awesome. Love the motor, even though I'm not a ford fan, but I just can't get past the egg shape body...soooo ugly!

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#112517 - 09/04/05 02:06 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
Evolution Offline
That ugly piece of Yamaha power can romp your GT anyday. All hes got is a Y-pipe and a racing clutch. The car lurches, Im telling you. I took a ride in it last night, pretty sweet even with 4 people and a full tank of gas. Redline is like 7100, but he pulls it to about 7500 with no issues- and its got 180k miles on the orignal shortblock.

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
#112518 - 09/04/05 05:18 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
I never said it couldn't beat my GT. A lot of stuff can. But they're still ugly as all hell.

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#112519 - 09/04/05 07:43 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by nad:
If the taurus wasn't soo damn ugly, that car would be quite awesome. Love the motor, even though I'm not a ford fan, but I just can't get past the egg shape body...soooo ugly!
The Egg shaped body would be referring to the last Gen SHO with a 3.5 V8, and has proven itself to be a turd.... Unliked by the SHO community at large.
The First Gen SHO had the DOHC Yamaha motor in it, and was deadly in it's own time. I have a lot of respect for the 1st Gen SHO.... If it wasn't for the SHO, the GTP may have never been SuperCharged.... GM couldn't quite engineer a reliable DOHC motor, so they SC'd the 3800.

http://pdxcgp.com
#112520 - 09/04/05 07:56 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
Quote:
[b] If the taurus wasn't soo damn ugly, that car would be quite awesome. Love the motor, even though I'm not a ford fan, but I just can't get past the egg shape body...soooo ugly!
so they SC'd the 3800. [/b]
Umm it was force inducted long before the SHO ever hit the streets.
#112521 - 09/04/05 07:59 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I still think it's funny to hear your reactions to the SHOs. My fiancee had one back about 5 years ago. It was the biggest lemon ever. We sank so much money into it. Finally had to get rid of it.

But maybe they are fast when they aren't in the shop. wink
#112522 - 09/04/05 08:07 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
[b]
Quote:
[b] If the taurus wasn't soo damn ugly, that car would be quite awesome. Love the motor, even though I'm not a ford fan, but I just can't get past the egg shape body...soooo ugly!
so they SC'd the 3800. [/b]
Umm it was force inducted long before the SHO ever hit the streets. [/b]
SHO's and TGP's came out the same year.... 1989. TGP's were few and far between. I don't know why they stopped producing them.... And I couldn't tell you how they competed against the SHO, but the TGP's didn't last very long..... Maybe because of reliability issues???

#112523 - 09/04/05 10:01 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I was refering to the GN smile
#112524 - 09/04/05 11:23 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
Evolution Offline
Yea, this kid hasnt had any issues other then overheating his 2nd gear at the track and having to rebuild it- the only reason he has a race clutch in it. But I pulled up next to him and hes like Y PIPE! and he made a Y with his hands and his arms. I was like wtf! and then I went for it from about 25. I made a stupid mistake.. but from a dig, I can easily take him. I wanna go like 0-100 with him sometime, see how that works out.

'97 GTP
#112525 - 09/05/05 01:52 AM Re: I think my car is misleading
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
I was refering to the GN smile
OK... 3.8L.... 3800CC.... Series I... Series II... I forgot about the Turbo Buicks.... That's a whole different class.... A dominating class. GM stepped away from a good thing. Thanks for the reminder Herc.

#112526 - 09/06/05 04:38 AM Re: I think my car is misleading
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
dont forget, Ford caved with all the complaints regarding the SHO. Then they stuck a 8 cylinder into it, priced it way out of the market. The only taurus I would consider is the police version. It had the yamaha V-6 in a dressed down version. The give away is the vents in the nose.
#112527 - 09/09/05 07:44 AM Re: I think my car is misleading
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Evolution ,I'm curios a while back you where selling your car as a parts car now your racing hell out of it ,what gives did you get it fixed? and did you decide to sray ? also you may want to watch the just a GT comments there are a few that will hand you your ass on a platter .regards Chico.
#112528 - 09/09/05 04:26 PM Re: I think my car is misleading
Evolution Offline
I fixed my issue- still want to spray, planning on getting a kit before christmas time. When I had brought it to the mechanic- he told me I had massive engine issues. I replaced the cat with a straight pipe and Im fine. I think the guy wanted $2000 from a kid. BTW- The cat consisted of ceramic powder- blocking the mesh filter at the far exhaust end. Needless to say, Im not going to that mechanic ever again. Before the end of the month- Im getting a 3.4 and installing the PCM.

I wasnt referring to *yours* because I know you COULD give me a run- and probably win. I was referring to this GT who thought I was also a GT coupe. Just because my car is debadged, doesnt mean its not fast, does it?

'97 GTP
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >