Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112601 - 10/27/08 01:01 PM Compressor question....
Harv Offline
Loc: Indiana
A few months back I had driven through some very high water and my compressor got soaked. A few days later it started to make some major "grinding" noise. Posted here and people came to the conclusion the bearings rusted.

This past weekend I took the belt off and rotated the wheel of the compressor and you can hear it "grinding." Last month I had taken it to a shop to have looked at and was told the compressor needed replaced completely...costing $800+. Instead of paying this I went to a local pull-a-part and purchased a used compressor for $25 bucks and was wondering how hard it was to pull the bearing and wheel/clutch off the 2nd compressor and installing it on my car's compressor. PLEASE NOTE....the compressor is still in working order and still blows arctic cold air it just makes a loud grinding noise.

Is it possible to remove the clutch/wheel and bearings without discharging the system and removing the compressor from the car?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. my car's a '00 GT
#112602 - 10/27/08 04:03 PM Re: Compressor question....
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You can but it's APITA. It's much easier and faster to swap the compressors.

About 8 months ago mine started grinding and making metal shavings. I bought a used compressor for one this one bites the dust so far it's still sitting on the shelf.
#112603 - 10/27/08 05:23 PM Re: Compressor question....
Harv Offline
Loc: Indiana
I'm right there with ya. I was waiting as long as I had to..specially with winter coming but I'm looking to sell my car soon and that noise isn't a seller....and I don't look forward to changing it.

However whats the "proper" process for doing this myself. I have plenty of tools..and what I dont have I can get from my neighboor. With the system being under pressure and the freon...I'm not necessarily worried about the ozone as much as my eyesight...