Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113725 - 09/30/02 05:29 PM I need help
grandprix4_me Offline
Loc: canada
My shift interlock switch is fried according to GM and I need to replace it at a cost of $400.00 plus labour. Ya right. This prevents me from shifting out of park...I have to manually over-ride it by pushing the access button on the console. It also prevents me from getting the key out once I have returned the shifter to park and turned the ignition off. To get the key out I have to use the access port under the steering column to free the key. I have done all this for a while now but I am really getting tired of it. So, long story short...does anyone know how to overide the shift interlock? I beleive it just completes a circuit? The shift interlock switch is found in the console directly under your shifter....actually attatched to your shifter.....they sell it as a complete part. Anyways...anyone with some knowledge in this area......help.

Thanks

Rod rtsteele@hotmail.com
#113726 - 10/01/02 09:25 AM Re: I need help
Tim Offline
Loc: Illinois
I'm not positive on this, but is there some sort of microswitch on or near the shift interlock that tells the car that the brake is pressed and the shift interlock is open? If so, I'm thinking that would be the one you want to go after. The other thing to check would be your brake-light switch. GM is somewhat notorious for those going bad as well. Hope this helps.
#113727 - 10/01/02 09:25 AM Re: I need help
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
Not sure about that price, but check with these guys if you have the part numbers you need it's easier than searching. Or just call them.

http://www.auto-parts-for-less.com/

Cheap parts and they ship very quickly. Wish I could help more, but I wouldn't go cutting wires trying to disable it. Good luck.
#113728 - 10/01/02 05:20 PM Re: I need help
cap Offline
Loc: Canada
This is obvious but just might help. The GP has been out long enough that the other place you might want to check-out are the junk yards. There are some real good ones that are inter-connected with one another via e-mail. Perhaps, if you can determine the problem exactly you might save some money by yourself. Labour costs at the dealerships are the killer.
#113729 - 10/01/02 06:07 PM Re: I need help
Chrissy from MA Offline
Loc: Kingston, MA
My 97 did the same thing...dealer replaced for $500...so ur geting a deal shocked (

Mods: Thrasher CAI w/ Relocated IAT Sensor, STB's, 180-Tstat, RT High flow CAT, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, DHP PCM, MSD Coils,GM Tranny Cooler, Painted calipers w/ Grandprix decals,MSD Coils,PIAA superwhite headlights and Superwhite fogs,clear corners, and a whole lotta bass....