Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115005 - 07/28/07 04:03 PM Re: Looking at getting a 97 GTP?
Gun5 Offline
Loc: Waco, TX
ya if it seems to run good and not knock or anything id think its good i just cant tell of any oil burning issues when I test drive the car unless they let me borrow it for awhile lol.. that GTP is 3k and that GT sold for 2.5k yesterday.. theres that white one in cove still for 2k with a engine/tranny with 50k /keeps pondering

1994 Pontiac Formula Auto
Full Bolt-Ons + Heads/Cam
#115006 - 07/30/07 03:16 AM Re: Looking at getting a 97 GTP?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Do'nt be afraid to ask to take any car to an independant shop for a once over or if you have a mechanic friend take him with you,a second opinion may well save you a heap of cash in the long run,good luck.Chico(pops)
#115007 - 08/01/07 02:56 PM Re: Looking at getting a 97 GTP?
Gun5 Offline
well im back on a different computer dumb workers near our house cut our cable lines in the ground and its been down (still is) for 3 days now

I'v found a 97 GTP Red, 70k on the clock just had heads put on a few months ago.. tires are bald and the transmission whines owner said the mechanic said it would be a tranny filter to fix it (somehow I doubt that?)

although will a 2006 GTP tranny work? found one new for cheap so far I see all you gotta do is swap the valve body out

I would Chico if they where around or if it wasnt 150 bucks, iv taken manual tranny's, ac systems and electric for cars in school plus iv done tons of tranny installs, timing belts, intake/head gaskets so its no like im an idiot going to look at a car like I was a few years ago smile I just come on here asking because yall know whats prone to failure and such..

#115008 - 08/01/07 04:27 PM Re: Looking at getting a 97 GTP?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Yeah, if that tranny whines, it's staring death in the face right now and I wouldn't be surprised if it chucked in the towel on a test drive.

I'm pretty sure an 06 tranny will not work in a 97.

Why did it need new heads?
#115009 - 08/02/07 06:20 AM Re: Looking at getting a 97 GTP?
Gun5 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcxnus:
Yeah, if that tranny whines, it's staring death in the face right now and I wouldn't be surprised if it chucked in the towel on a test drive.

thats what im wondering havnt checked it yet.. his gf listed for like 3k but he said hed take 2k id give maybe 1-1.5k for it probably.. ill be looking for coolant in the oil, and oil leaks around the heads and such.. although some other cars just became avab this week like always so whatever is the best deal at the time i guess

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcxnus:

even with valve body swap thats what some shop told me online but u know how they are just wanting to unload there shit? ill call john geobel and ask him how cheap he'd redo one of the tranny's for hes the shit i dunno if you'v used him yet arcxnus

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2