Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11505 - 09/21/08 08:10 PM Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
Loc: BOSTON, MA.
I am referring to a front spoiler support, that sort of look like a little chrome strut or hood support that is attached to the fron damper & normally used on race cars.

And, basically...what it actually does? I have a pretty good idea, but does anyone know for Sure?
#11506 - 09/21/08 08:12 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
can you get a pic? im not sure what youre saying
#11507 - 09/21/08 10:41 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I know what your talking about but I don't know the name. I try to find a pic.
#11508 - 09/22/08 07:21 AM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Are you talking about the struts on the splitter on this race car?

If so they are just called struts. They are used to keep the splitter from flexing. If it flexes more in one end then the other the car will be a real handful do to the different aero loading on the front.
#11509 - 09/23/08 01:08 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
Yeah! Those appear to be the ones that I am talking about, HercMan. I can't really tell for sure from the pic...but if they are the ones, I assume that they are intended to sort of perform like Struts & allow the spoiler to flex in an upwards & downwards motion.

So do You have any idea where one would find those? I've check all sort of "Racing Parts and Equipment Sites" & I haven't seen those anywhere.

Now I realize that this must Trigger some deal of curiosity on you guys part, so here it goes...with this Crazy mind of mine, I am convinced that I can build a front spoiler for the GTP & use those for appearance Only, since the spoiler will be Fixed & not do what those of racing cars does & in the process also create a rear "Race-like" attachment.

I know, it all sounds Crazy...but the GTP is perfoming at its best right now, & I am not in a hurry to do any upgrades to create more HP at this time...speed limit is 65 any how. So I figure, I will just work on the appearance to make it look sort of "Mean" then.
#11510 - 09/23/08 03:10 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
All you really need are some threaded rods with heim joints on the end.

And they PREVENT movement. With the heim joints it allows tuning with either lengthening or shortening the rods.

#11511 - 09/23/08 04:13 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
have at it. post pics when you're done.
#11512 - 09/23/08 07:30 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
But, where would I find the whole set-up? I have been searching the Net, but haven't came across anything like it.

And yes...I will post some pics. As a matter of fact...if I could get that PhotoBucket to work for me, I would post some pics now, before I remove my summer wheels & tires. I have had so many Compliments this summer, at the car washes & gas stations...& everywhere I go. She really Stood-out & made me more excited about doing more for Her appearance, rather than modding for more HP.
#11513 - 09/23/08 07:46 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
Ok never mind guys...I found them! Thank You for You help! And I am going to be working on that PhotoBucket to see if I can get some pics up.
#11514 - 09/23/08 09:48 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RD_GTP03:
She really Stood-out & made me more excited about doing more for Her appearance, rather than modding for more HP.
Palsut, is that you?
#11515 - 09/23/08 09:49 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
HAHAHA
#11516 - 09/27/08 04:46 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
You Guys making Fun of Me & My Crazy Idea? That's Ok, You will see it when it's done!

And I think that I got that PhotoBucket to work, so on the next sunny day I am going to take some pics to post, since the past week has been overcast & ugly.
#11517 - 09/27/08 05:06 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
r.s.hutchinson Offline
we're not making fun of you, don't worry.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out. I always like to see new ideas.
#11518 - 10/02/08 11:02 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
Well fun or Not...it will be done, & You guys will be Amazed, Trust Me!

I will work on it all Winter in the garage, & it will be installed for early Spring. I couldn't even think of installing it now, even if I finished it. Winter is right around the corner & it's just too low to the ground to drive around in the snow, if we get lots of it.

Meaning...that it will be removeable for the winter season, along with the summer wheels & tires.
#11519 - 10/04/08 06:00 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
OK...Fellows I a have few questions for You, if that's' Ok? And I would really appreciate All your responses...even those that may Imply that I am Crazy! laugh In other words, I am willing to listen, learn, consider & decide, based on Your Indepth Knowledge of the GP & Most cars, I guess.

So first of all...I realize that "Spoilers" can/are made of a variety of materials(Epoxy, Fiberglass & even wood as a base). And I am researching & hope to find the easiest one to work with, that would makes it Really Strong, yet without it being too Heavy. (Suggestions accepted...just about Here)

So can You guys tell me...

1- How much weight would you say is "Safe" to attach to the front of a GPT, without creating a Problem? Meaning...if attached securely to the right location, the frame or other. Could extra weight possibly create a Problems of any Kind?

2- Now, which would be the Best Location to attach supporting Brackets that would "Secure" the Spoiler in place? Some place that would Definitely, Not Break-apart under Stress or due to a Bang!(Pot-hole) Though, for that I figure I could attach a bottom bracket in the middle & both Ends. Like used on some Porshes, & usual Low built cars, to protect the lowest parts on the engine. It's shaped like a half of Tear Drop(Wedge-like), with the front being the Pointed end, which I am hoping will help "Force the Front End Upwards" to Avoid Damages.

3- Finally, as anyone here ever Considered or Thought of something with such Undertaking. It takes some Planning, with "Safety" being at the Top of the List. Killing myself...is Not an Options! Besides, I will be taking Orders, starting next Week! lol

So Honestly, let me know what you Think! And Suggestions are Welcome, I am even Open to Ideas, also...but I am really Up to This.

Thank You All for being Here! I need Your ...