Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11520 - 10/04/08 06:48 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Not saying your crazy I too love new ideas and can't wait to see your outcome.

1. Extra weight does bring in issues but it really has to be alot to start effecting handling etc. I'm gonna say what ever material you choose should pose no safety issues unless you use lead or something like that.

2. Best location? Hmm this project hasn't been tackled here but I'd say you can attach it to anything but the bumper cover. That will flew way too much. As for pot holes stuff well that's upto you on how low you go and where you mount it.

3. I answered in 1

What kind of material? Your doing custom so. I'd use a foam core covered in fiberglass with metal reinforcements in the mounting points.
#11521 - 10/05/08 07:45 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
Loc: BOSTON, MA.
Hey "Hurcman"...Thank You for You View, The reason the weight sort of became an Issue, is because I started with Wood, but I ralize that it was feeling just too heavy on it's on, before I even apply fibreglass, Epoxy or anything else.

But I am not really going too low to the ground, due to the fact, that I realize that the chances of damaging it would really be pretty High! So I figured, maybe 4 to 5 inches below the current Damper. But I hear You & will keep it all in Mind & wait a bit to see what the Others have to say, but I appreciate you help...Thank You!
#11522 - 10/09/08 08:43 PM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
RD_GTP03 Offline
Loc: BOSTON, MA.
Hey Hercman...I really wanted to Thank You for Your help! I guess No One else is Interested enough to give their opinion.

So I will go ahead with the harden foam, as you suggested, layered it with fiberglass...after inserting supporting brackets(4) if possible. One on each end & (2) close to the center...once I determine where would be the best place to attach it.

But can You tell me if the body frame, reaches to the very front of the engine? I am getting under there tomorrow to check for the sturdiest location, so I can know how & where to install the brackets. So once again...Thank You for your Support, Guy!
#11523 - 10/10/08 12:28 AM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by RD_GTP03:
Hey Hercman...I really wanted to Thank You for Your help! I guess No One else is Interested enough to give their opinion.

So I will go ahead with the harden foam, as you suggested, layered it with fiberglass...after inserting supporting brackets(4) if possible. One on each end & (2) close to the center...once I determine where would be the best place to attach it.

But can You tell me if the body frame, reaches to the very front of the engine? I am getting under there tomorrow to check for the sturdiest location, so I can know how & where to install the brackets. So once again...Thank You for your Support, Guy!
Its not that we're not intersted, its just I really dont understand how you can attach anything to the subframe or bumper (where its going to be studiest). If you attach anything to the cheap bumper cover, its not going to work. But if you attach it to something sturdy, its not going to be visible
#11524 - 10/10/08 07:04 AM Re: Can anyone tell me,,,what its called & where could I find it.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
When I get home I'll look for my pic with the bumper cover off so you can see what you have to work with.

I can't access photobucket from work frown