Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116602 - 05/22/02 12:30 AM leaking roof again
Ryan Offline
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
I took my car (31,000 miles) to get it inspected. It failed the inspection, because the tie rods were loose. So I took it to the dealer to get the tie rods looked at. I had to get them replaced (under warranty)the tech said they were shot all to hell. I know it doesn't make sense with only 31,000 miles. Anyway while I was there I figured I'd have them unclog the sunroof drain so my car would quit leaking when it rained. They said the drains were not clogged. He ran water on my car for an hour and could never get it to leak. He even checked the windshield seal.
Anyone have any other ideas that would make it leak during heavy rains but not when the tech ran water over it for an hour?

any ideas would be appreciated.
#116603 - 05/22/02 11:48 AM Re: leaking roof again
MrQuija Offline
Loc: Derwood, MD
Where exactly is the water pooling up? I have heard the passenger side floor being the most common and it was not related to the roof leaking..but rather the AC compressor clogging up...
#116604 - 05/22/02 11:12 PM Re: leaking roof again
Ryan Offline
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
its leaking out of the panel in front of the sunroof where the map lights are at.
#116605 - 05/23/02 07:25 AM Re: leaking roof again
Ross St.Clair Offline
Loc: Gainesville, VA USA
Ryan,

I know you said that the tech checked the windshield seal, but I believe this is most likely the cause of the water leak. About 2 years ago I had some water leak in through the map light console when I accelerated. I took it to my local dealer and they removed the windshield and re-sealed it. The service rep told me that they had a truck of GPs come in one time that had several cars that had seal problems. I have had no water leakage problems since.
#116606 - 05/25/02 12:10 AM Re: leaking roof again
MThomas Offline
Loc: NW Ohio
I have been dealing with a wet passenger floor for many months now. Sometimes I don't see anything and then others water will drip from the map lights and other times it will run down the inside of the windshield infront of the passenger. I really need to take the time to figure it out sometime.
#116607 - 06/15/02 01:10 PM Re: leaking roof again
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
Sorry guys didn't find your post... but here's what I found...I woke up today to find an inch of water on my pasenger floor. I checked the seal on the sunroof and found it was letting a little water in so I called the gm dealer and tried to order one. No luck.. had to get the glass and seal as one unit $571 Can about $75 US lol anyway after doing some research I found a diagram with the drain tubes. And it was blocked. Very easy to clen just drop your visors and grab handle, pull the windshield pillars off (carefully) and drop the roof lining down.( oh ya take off the moulding around the sunroof) then just pull off the tube and blow. I put some warm salt water in my mouth and blew it threw, and yes it did taste worse than the tube itself. After that just put the roof lining back together and away ya go. Hope this helps. and as far as the plugged tube being the only cause not true if the seal is not tight it will let too much water in for the drain to handle. Check with your gm dealer there is a product that makes seals and weatherstrips swell. That is probablly your best bet.