Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117208 - 07/03/08 11:56 AM Wheel spin, bad shaft?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Hi guys, I posted this on my local GP board, but thought I'd also try here.

Quote:
Hi guys. A couple of months ago I replaced the CV shaft on the passenger side. I had a shop do it because XXX and I couldn't get 'er done (bolts rusted on, his air tools couldn't break it). It's driven fine ever since....

until yesterday. I was at a stop sign, turning LEFT out of our subdivision and I felt wheel spin. My TCS light did NOT come on, but it felt like I was doing a one wheel burnout. It was weird. So then I go 1/4 mile to a stop light and made another LEFT. Did the same thing. I became worried. I drove it around the rest of the day doing errands, and it drove just fine...wheel never spun again.

This morning I took my wife's truck up to get worked on, and my wheel spun again at those same two places. We drove it around my subdivision afterwards, making numerous turns from a dead stop, and I couldn't get it to spin again.

Any ideas? The CV shaft is splined at both ends right, so I can't imagine it just free spinning.... what else could it be? Tranny? Diff?

So far, it's only done it at those two LEFT hand turns, which are the first two turns I make each time I leave my house...could it be something that is ok after it warms up?

I'm totally confused by this.
#117209 - 07/03/08 12:34 PM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Are you sure its a tire spinning feel, versus a harder "hopping"? Here's a good article on wheel hop and a fix: http://www.raktron.com/misc/mt.htm
#117210 - 07/03/08 12:50 PM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
UMfan Offline
I doubt I'm putting down enough power to wheel hop, but maybe.

It's like I hear the RPMs climbing, but my car doesn't go anywhere (almost like revving in neutral). Then it shudders a little bit (kind of like wheel hop), and then it slowly grabs an I go.

Keep in mind I'm driving REAL easy when this happens. I'm not hammering it at all.

One poster on my local club said perhaps my wheel was on a painted line (cross walk) and thus had no grip. Since I was turning, the diff put all the spin on that one wheel...

But still I would have thought the TCS light would come on if that was the case.
#117211 - 07/03/08 02:30 PM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Hmm... really sharp turns make it easier to lose traction on one tire or the other. After replacing the cv axle, you did yank to it to make sure the C-clip caught in the diff, eh? You also did a thorough comparison between it and your stock axle?

Working in a parts house, I've seen some weird crap crop up due to computer errors or worker negligence (at the parts manufacturer, not us).

Zalfrin, I don't see how that wheel hop fix can apply to us. Our engine mounts don't have openings. However, my Stratus had that issue (and those mounts). Poly inserts were the solution I picked.
#117212 - 07/03/08 03:37 PM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
Zalfrin Offline
Well, maybe not the 3M poly spray then. I knew someone on here had mentioned this before, must have been you. smile

To the OP, its a long shot, but check your transmission fluid level. I've had the transmission act funny before when it was a little low on fluid, cornering exacerbated the problem.
#117213 - 07/05/08 11:46 PM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
UMfan Offline
It did it to me again today, but this time on a straight stretch. RPMs climb, but car doesn't accelerate. When I gave it a little gas, the car started shuddering really bad so I backed off.

It seems to do this when my car is cold, and once it heats up it's fine.

I'm going to see if it's throwing any trans codes, but otherwise it looks like it's time for the shop. Unbelievable since I only have 48,000 miles and I am very easy on my car.
#117214 - 07/06/08 12:19 AM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
20gtp02 Offline
Maybe CV axle(s)....

#117215 - 07/06/08 01:27 AM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Maybe CV axle(s)....
I just had my CV axle replaced.
#117216 - 07/06/08 03:30 AM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
It sounds like what my car does. However, my car doesn't feel like they are spinning, it feels like the opposite - it feels like the brake on one side is grabbing for some reason. My TCS light will come on, though - if it and my ABS light aren't already on. <_<

Could it be a brake problem, and it's grabbing, not spinning?
#117217 - 07/08/08 02:12 PM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
It sounds like what my car does. However, my car doesn't feel like they are spinning, it feels like the opposite - it feels like the brake on one side is grabbing for some reason. My TCS light will come on, though - if it and my ABS light aren't already on. <_<

Could it be a brake problem, and it's grabbing, not spinning?
No. Now that I've driven it a little more, I have a better understanding/feel for what's going on. My tranny isn't shifting into 2nd gear very firm. It's VERY mushy. If I apply too much gas, the RPMS just jump and it shudders until it finds the gear.

But it's weird that it only happens when my engine is cold.

I'm going to get my tranny scanned and see if it's throwing codes. My local member mechanic said there is a common tranny code that indicates a solenoid may not be operating corretly. I'm hoping that is the issue and not my entire tranny.
#117218 - 07/08/08 05:06 PM Re: Wheel spin, bad shaft?
Zalfrin Offline
Have you checked your fluid yet?