Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117337 - 03/12/07 10:01 PM Black tranny fluid
white on white gtp Offline
Loc: shelby twp, mi
Got my oil changed today at the local 10 minute rip off joint. they pulled my tranny dip stick and the fluid was black...it was full but black.

I'm having trouble remembering if the tranny was rebuilt or relaced before i bought it but either way that was no more than 3 years ago.

it seems to shift well aside from some hesitation going into reverse. and i noticed that with the perf shift off it shifts pretty sloppy on the highway but nothing i ever thought was alarming.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

just when i think you cant get any dumber...
#117338 - 03/12/07 10:22 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Just trying doing a fluid change. Not much else you can do, any damage is already done.
#117339 - 03/12/07 10:34 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
x2 but I would change it then 30 miles later change it again, to make sure all the crap is out.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#117340 - 03/12/07 11:00 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
i heard that changing the trans fluid is actually bad...any else confirm that? i suppose i should just take it to the place that did the trans work.

side note: i hit my finger with a hammer today...i would not suggest it to anyone.

#117341 - 03/12/07 11:05 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
DONT CHANGE IT !!!! IT WILL MAKE IT WORSE ... the tranny fluid is black because it has deposits on it and those deposits keep the clutches working ... if you change the fluid .. yes it will look better and it might work for a coupple miles but if you change it it wont have those deposits on it and then the clutches will start slipping and then you will ruin your gears .... the dammage is done and it will get worse if you change your fluid.....
#117342 - 03/12/07 11:23 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I did a pan drop on my tranny fluid around 75k miles. My car made it another 18k without blowing up.
#117343 - 03/12/07 11:28 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
I would take it back to the place that did the trans work, and have them look at it. Changing the fluid yourself may violate any warranty you may have.
Why did you hit your finger with a hammer? Was it being bad? hammer wink
#117344 - 03/13/07 09:26 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
yeah thats what i thought...as for the finger i was just trying to keep things interesting. wanted to make sure i wasnt turning into a sissy even though my eyes may or may not have "watered"

#117345 - 03/13/07 10:28 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
DONT CHANGE IT !!!! IT WILL MAKE IT WORSE ... the tranny fluid is black because it has deposits on it and those deposits keep the clutches working ... if you change the fluid .. yes it will look better and it might work for a coupple miles but if you change it it wont have those deposits on it and then the clutches will start slipping and then you will ruin your gears .... the dammage is done and it will get worse if you change your fluid.....
Wow.... Why would you want to change the tranny fluid at all if the "deposits" help prolong clutch life???

If the tranny fluid is black, it's burnt. It's a sign of failure, or neglect. Both of which will kill the transmission.
What ever you do, don't have anyone flush the tranny... That's an appetite for destruction on a neglected, abused or high mileage unit.
If you choose to change the fluid, do it by dropping the pan and changing the filter at the same time.
Bottom line is, you'd better start saving for a tranny.

http://pdxcgp.com
#117346 - 03/13/07 11:50 PM Re: Black tranny fluid
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
my college teacher was a worked for delco for a coupple years ... my friend had the same problem with his tranny in his camry. These are some of the words that my teacher said.... Tranny fluid is a detergent so it picks up the deposits of gunk and such and if your clutches in your tranny felt like they are slipping those deposits are what is prolly griping your clutches so when you change the fluid you will get rid of those deposits and then they will start slipping more ..... but like my teacher said if you havent changed the fluid regularly it wont help if you do it now ...

Wow.... Why would you want to change the tranny fluid at all if the "deposits" help prolong clutch life???

it dosnt prolong clutch life ... if your having problems with your tranny chances are the clutches are bad allready... the deposits just give it a little more grip... but not much... but yes start saving for a new tranny or a rebuild
#117347 - 03/14/07 01:46 AM Re: Black tranny fluid
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Don't "flush" it. That will loosen the particles. "changing" should be OK...