Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117884 - 12/31/09 11:48 AM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
I think you should have a compressor to begin with for a job of that size.
You bought a spring compressor kit or do you mean you rented one?
It would be nice, but I did it without, so it is very possible. His car's up north, so it is probably going to be more difficult than my Florida car, but its entirely possible
#117885 - 12/31/09 12:20 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
I did everything that he's doing with normal hand tools except for the trailing arms. My car will be 13 starting tomorrow and I live in the rust belt.
#117886 - 12/31/09 05:57 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
Guz, that's really helpful to know where they are. Thanks again.

I actually got my both front struts out. laugh

Thanks for tip thunderbat. It was help when I use my floor jack to lift it up and slide it out. 1 of bolt was little dent because I beat hell out of them lol

Guess maybe time to order new bolts and nuts for all of them. 7 years is pretty long time. I probably stop by gm dealership or order online (doubt that because they don't know what part #.)

The both rear struts nuts are removed but bolts still on it. I guess use trailing arm where to lift it to knock the bolts out? I plan to use that later because I want to finish front first. I was trying get nuts off if I need air comprosser but look like I don't need it. That's big plus. I have air comprosser but it is 125 pressure & 1 gallon. It won't strong enough for air gun.

Pictures will be coming soon when I get home. I'm still at my mom house.

Alright. I have a little problem. I can't get nut out of top strut mount. I mean it is really rusty THAT BAD than struts bolts & nuts. I try pull around but strut mounts keep spinning around. Do you think I should put them back (yeah I know lot of work to get that darn thing out lol ) so I add 3 small nuts on top strut mounts where car frame is. Hopefully, I try get that nut out. I was trying to get rubber thing on strut plate & big long rubber thing to block the derbis.
#117887 - 12/31/09 07:04 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Don't bother ordering new bolts. Waste of money. Just throw them back in. If they have mushroomed on the top, grind them back down.

As for your other problem (If I understand correctly) you have to put an allen key on the inside of the threaded piece when you put a wrench on the top nut.
#117888 - 12/31/09 09:42 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
palsut Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Don't bother ordering new bolts. Waste of money. Just throw them back in. If they have mushroomed on the top, grind them back down.

As for your other problem (If I understand correctly) you have to put an allen key on the inside of the threaded piece when you put a wrench on the top nut.
Yeah, it has mushroom top but I don't have any grind tool.

Remove them

See nasty rusty nut. I actually put them back to my car where 3 nuts hold on car frame. It was very bad thread. I guess I will give allen key a shot. If it doesn't work. Maybe use metal saw all way to cut strut mount to get that rubber thing around strut plate and rubber boot? Of course, I will use spring compressor so it won't shot out somewhere lol

Anyone know what is this call? It was hold small piece to strut & rear sway bar. This one is broken. It has damage bolt thread during rust again. I got left side out but right side still not working.

Lot of work to do later. At least it is slow project so I'm not that hurry.

about SSC lower spring. I never realize that they are different.

Let me guess the small top of picture is front only. The big on bottom of picture is for rear only. Do I got it right?

Thanks for all your great help. It does help lot.

Happy New Year! wink
#117889 - 12/31/09 11:33 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
macus1305 Offline
Loc: mass
those things are sway bar links. if ur replaceing them use needle nose vice grips and a air gun and zip it off. doing it by hand may be impossible.

happy new year
#117890 - 01/01/10 01:07 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
palsut Offline
Thank for name of parts. I'm actually thinking get new one for that. I'm not worry about old sway bar links. I have a new GMPP rear sway bar. As you can see this sway link bolt is rusty pretty good. The tread was torn off. All it was spinning around that it doesn't go anywhere. I know what you mean about other nut behind it. I did that on left side got them out. I'm stuck with right side for now.

Now, I'm off to my mom's house to ready take that strut nut out. If not working then time metal saw to TORN THAT BABY DOWN! laugh lol
#117891 - 01/01/10 11:06 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
palsut Offline
Today, it was very good work. I removed the both rear struts and rear sway bar out. Man, rear struts was sooooo bitch to get out. I hate the rear struts 3 nuts on trunk area. I have hard time to get nut out with my wrench in the small area. When my wrench lost the grip of nut. The wrench went flying out to my backseat and got my finger cut from speaker bolt. I just like kcuf! Thank god for 04-08 seat set. I went to my rear door and pop the rear seat down to get that wrench which it was buried under from trunk area. I'm not ready to install them back again. lol

Without sway bar & rear strut. Kind dull look.... I'm curious. Is fender inner supposed to be TUCK inside the frame (near the rear door) or it was normal like that? Just wondering because I got them from used junk yeard for put GT/P rear bumper. The body shop installed them for me 2 years ago.

Finally, they are out. laugh

Remove the rear sway bar out. It is actually very easy to get it. I guess that's good way to get that struts out first. If struts are that way then I'm pretty sure it will be tough to remove. I just like confused because they are look same. I just like hmmm it doesn't make sense to me. I keep stare them like minute. Then I pick the gmpp sway bar to move. Then I pick old sway bar. I just like wait a minute. I lift old sway bar. They are very light. I lift GMPP sway bar. They are heavy. Now, I can see why they are different lol

That's how poor car sit look like. frown

Man, I owe it to my mom. If she doesn't have that house then I will be frozen to death for working outside for sure. Garage is not that bad. Just a little cold than outside and I use heater too..
#117892 - 01/01/10 11:42 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
Richard Candelario Offline
yeah, those mudshields are supposed to tuck into the body panel. Unbolt them and fold them back into place. they're pretty flimsy for as thick as they are. retorque the mudshields back to tool snug. the retainers on the back side cant take much torque at all. Dont ask me how I know.

Thats some good work. Slick was able to get his monkey arms all the way back to my trunk strut mounts with the car on stands while standing next to the wheel well. when it came time to button everything back up, I crawled into the trunk and handled business that way. Shoulda seen the incredulous look on John's face. Then, on the other side, I showed him how my stubby lil T. Rex arms simply couldnt reach. Some times he takes for granted my 5'2" stature.

IIRC, the sway on the bottom in the next to last pic is for the rear.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#117893 - 01/05/10 03:25 AM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
palsut Offline
Thanks Ricks.

lol that's funny. My finger still hurt after I slip the wrench. That was painful. I should wear glove but I was thinking it is not hurt since it was inside of the car during remove 3 nuts from rear struts. I was wrong. Next time I use repair gloves for sure.

Since I couldn't get the rusty nut out from old struts for get boot shield. I took old struts to car serivce company for get them out because I know air gun help. The car service company willing put new one together. I figure why not to save my time.

That's how they look right now.

One problem. They mess it up. They didn't put anti-polo washer on top. Just a monroe strut mounts. Guess they didn't listen me :rolleyes:

My dad picked it up this afternoon. He doesn't know about anti-polo washers. I have to take it back and get it done tomorrow morning. They still have my anti-polo washers somewhere in their shop.

They look awesome. Can't wait install them this weekend. I hate week. Darn work lol
#117894 - 01/05/10 09:22 AM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
looks good patrick, one thing though, its Anti POGO wahsers not Anti POLO...lol lol

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#117895 - 01/05/10 10:28 AM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hope the shop still has your anti-pogo washers and haven't thrown them out.
#117896 - 01/05/10 11:57 AM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
palsut Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by '01 GT:
looks good patrick, one thing though, its Anti POGO wahsers not Anti POLO...lol lol
lol thank for correct it up. Now my turn. It is anti pogo WASHERS. Not wahsers. wink

I was worry if they throw away. This guy is clueless and decide put anti-pogo washers on their shop. Probably for his SE model lol. He has 1997 to 2000 "catfish" front bumper grand prix. They should call us and tell what is it for.

At least everything solved the problem under no charge.

There is current update picture with anti-pogo washers.

Saturday is too way long to wait lol
#117897 - 01/05/10 03:55 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
The Guz Offline
Loc: Lawndale, CA
Get those on already. Your car will look good with the lowered look. You will also like the handling of it when you are all done.
#117898 - 01/05/10 05:19 PM Re: palsut's car 2010 project (56K) *6/7* update
palsut Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by The Guz:
Get those on already. Your car will look good with the lowered look. You will also like the handling of it when you are all done.
I wish but my car is 30+ miles away from my apt. It is on my mom's new house for garage in winter season. I have a little bad snow storm yesterday and today. It will be other storm on Thursday & Friday. I can't take it out because I don't want this car get salty and plus I have summer tires.