Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118601 - 12/09/04 12:30 PM How much mods would it take?
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Ive been pondering this for a while now, a guy up the street from me has a honda civic, completely tricked out, turbo, suspension, etc. can hear him comin all the way up the block everyday. Ive been wondering, what kind of mods would it take for a civic to catch a GP? I have yet to meet one that even gave me a good race.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#118602 - 12/09/04 04:20 PM Re: How much mods would it take?
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
not a lot, I know of a completely all motor VTech in my area that runs low 13's and would defintaly take a GTP from a roll. It all depends on what is done to it, my guess is he would give you a run for your money if he is not n/a

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#118603 - 12/09/04 04:22 PM Re: How much mods would it take?
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
A simple turbo on even a d15 single cam non turbo can be worth 200 whp and almost the same torque. My friend has one. Add Vtech on top of that like a b16 and you can be good for over 200 with a turbo.
#118604 - 12/10/04 12:05 PM Re: How much mods would it take?
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Thats what I was afraid of, damn ricers. Though, once I get the turbo on and a few engine mods ill be pushin over 300 and since ill have the new tranny can put it on drugs too. For the next year or so tho ill have to be patient hehe.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#118605 - 01/01/05 01:30 AM Re: How much mods would it take?
DJ Nitrous 427 Offline
Loc: GA
friend of mine has a completely built b18 in a 2000lb hatch and a turbo putting out about 20lbs...he says bout 400 to the wheels....not sure exactly but its hella fast
#118606 - 01/01/05 09:36 AM Re: How much mods would it take?
kustomkid54 Offline
Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by InitialDGP:
Ive been pondering this for a while now, a guy up the street from me has a honda civic, completely tricked out, turbo, suspension, etc. can hear him comin all the way up the block everyday. Ive been wondering, what kind of mods would it take for a civic to catch a GP? I have yet to meet one that even gave me a good race.
Sorry guys, this is a little long.
This may give you an idea;

Performance Recipes

How fast is my L67-powered car in stock form?

We get asked this question all the time, so we’re going to give this our best shot…

If you have a ’97 to ’02 GTP or GS, your car will run about 14.8 in the quarter mile in stock form. There are lots of variables here, but this is a realistic average based on our experiences. If you have an SSEi, your car will be about one second slower. The Bonneville’s are only a few hundred pounds heavier, but they are slower for several other reasons too:

additional weight (several hundred pounds)
poor weight distribution for drag racing (things like the battery in the back seat, aluminum hood, aluminum control arms and aluminum front bumper all work to reduce the percentage of weight on the front tires, resulting in less traction during acceleration)

larger front brakes (more rotating mass reduces power put to the ground)
larger tires and wheels (increased rotating mass takes more power to accelerate)

restrictive PCM (much more aggressive traction control system cannot be overridden by simply pulling a fuse; PCM will actually retard ignition timing if you try to power-brake the car)
no Performance Shift function (so shift points are lower and shifts are slower)
no air opening behind the headlight means that removing the headlight won’t give you any cold air
The Regal GS is slightly (a couple tenths) slower than a similarly equipped GTP, for some of the same reasons as the SSEi.

There are MANY different possible paths to get you to a certain performance goal. Following are some EXAMPLES of recipes that we know work:

How can I get my GTP or GS to run in the low fourteens?
one step colder thermostat (180 degrees)
one heat range colder spark plugs (AC Delco 41-932 or Autolite 605 or NGK TR55)
cold air induction
3.40” supercharger pulley

How can I get my GTP or GS to run in the high thirteen’s?
two heat ranges colder spark plugs (AC Delco 41-919 or Autolite 104 or NGK TR6)
cold air induction
3.25” supercharger pulley
INTENSE 1.90:1 rocker arms/pushrods package
free-flowing cat-back exhaust

How can I get my GTP or GS to run in the low thirteen’s?
two steps colder thermostat (160 degrees)
two heat ranges colder spark plugs (AC Delco 41-919 or Autolite 104 or NGK TR6)
cold air induction
3.10” supercharger pulley
INTENSE 1.90:1 rocker arms/pushrods package
SLP headers, downpipe and free-flowing cat-back exhaust
DHP PCM
mix of unleaded race fuel
drag radial tires

How can I get my GTP or GS to run in the high twelve’s?
three heat ranges colder spark plugs (Autolite 103)
cold air induction
ZZP throttle body
3.00” supercharger pulley
Lucas 42.5 pound/hour fuel injectors
INTENSE Stage 1 Blower cam/pushrods/rockers package
DHP PCM
INTENSE Transaxle with INTENSE Limited Slip Differential and 3.29:1 final drive
street slicks

How can I get my GTP or GS to run in the mid twelve’s?
three heat ranges colder spark plugs (Autolite 103)
cold air induction
ZZP throttle body
ZZP supercharger
2.80” supercharger pulley
Walbro fuel pump
Lucas 42.5 pound/hour fuel injectors
ZZP intercooler
INTENSE Stage 2 cylinder heads
INTENSE Stage 2 Blower cam
DHP PCM
INTENSE Transaxle with INTENSE Limited Slip Differential and 3.69:1 final drive
street slicks

All the above numbers are GUIDELINES only, and make a few assumptions:
We assume you race at a reasonable altitude. You won’t be able to match these times if your track is 5,000 feet above sea level for example.
We assume that you race in good weather conditions. You won’t be able to match these times on a hot, humid day with low barometric pressure.
We assume that basic race preparation is done to the car. Remove the spare, empty the trunk, remove the floor mats, race with a quarter tank of fuel, set your tire pressures properly, etc.

We assume that you launch your car effectively. This is the most important part of the quarter mile race, and without a good launch, you will NOT be able to achieve your best E.T.

Sorry about that, this is off one of the forums.