Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12017 - 01/30/08 01:29 AM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
moodmangtp Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
thanks, not all ricers are hondas, i miss my prelude, wouldn't give up the gtp though!
#12018 - 01/30/08 07:50 AM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by moodmangtp:
i miss my prelude, wouldn't give up the gtp though!
Same here. The GTP is much nicer than my Prelude, but I did like the Prelude.

Nate and Daniel, your install looks good. The only thing that I would suggest for both of you (and this is purely cosmetic) is to spin the filter around so the seam doesn't show.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#12019 - 01/30/08 10:41 AM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
moodmangtp Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
my prelude was a 93 vtec with intake, tb, intake manifold, header, dp and a catback exaust. it could take a stock gtp but not a lightly modded one
#12020 - 01/30/08 10:55 AM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
Nateball Offline
Loc: Columbia MO
Unfortunately there isn't a good way to spin the filter so that black stripe dosn't show. It's actually a nice shiny labeled plastic bar that has the manufacturer's name one it, and.... they're on both sides of the filter.

Oh and I just used a 3" section of conduit from Lowe's and used some high temp flat black paint. I will go up to 4" if I ever see some nice cheap material around.
#12021 - 01/31/08 03:00 PM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
If you want more WOT sound and less cold-startup sound, and not to mention possible better performance, build a CAI box around it.

note: coming soon after it gets above 25*: csc sound clips
#12022 - 01/31/08 11:36 PM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
Nateball Offline
How will a box offer more WOT sound? wouldn't it be less cold startup sound and less sound all around.
#12023 - 02/01/08 02:20 PM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Nate/Daniel,

Enclose those air filters and then you'll be golden.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#12024 - 02/01/08 10:21 PM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
Nateball Offline
Ok, at risk of sounding like a total poser, I don't want to box it in and lose any of the sound I get out of it. I really like the extra engine noise and I don't think I'll have enough money any time soon to mod much else, so I'm sure my HP gains are negligible with just and open cone or CAI.
#12025 - 02/02/08 11:34 AM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Once the car is moving the inlet air temp is no different between a CAI and an open cone. I've have done some tests and found that out for my self.
#12026 - 02/02/08 12:14 PM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
zuulmusic Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Once the car is moving the inlet air temp is no different between a CAI and an open cone. I've have done some tests and found that out for my self.
That is true; I remember your testing.
BUT, I still think those couple seconds before fresh air fills your engine bay is very important. The very hot air that initially gets sucked in from the engine bay could likely cause some KR... and ANY KR is going to cause the computer to pull timing for a length of time greater than the KR existed (looks like its 0.7 degrees per second after the knock ceases). Well, thats just a good explaination for one of my experiences:
I always used to have a 4"dia cone filter clamped right onto my supercharger (so equiv to a standard open cone intake, but even better since CSCs aren't furnaces like M90s). And I was struggling with slight KR at launching from a stop with my raised timing (I tried a few ways to combat this: lowering <3000rpm timing tables, and even the stupid way by tweaking KR attack rates).
After I built my fenderwell intake, the problem completely dissappeared, even though per Herc's findings, I did not notice any gains in the upper range.
Just a little story smile
#12027 - 02/02/08 12:17 PM Re: updated: Homebrew CAI tomorrow, related Q? (w/pics)
zuulmusic Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Nateball:
How will a box offer more WOT sound? wouldn't it be less cold startup sound and less sound all around.
When I was N/A and had a wizaired, the sound resonated beautifully within the sealed box. When I took the cover off of it, no more resonating. I assume that would happen for lots of CAI setups, unless the wizaired just had that certain quality.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3