Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120542 - 01/23/03 06:31 PM Another newbie question
Ditka83 Offline
Loc: Seattle
Sorry to ask what must seem to be obvious questions to some but I have another one. I was reading at the GP store about K&N cone filters and they say the filters are not street legal. Is this true in every state and has anyone every gotten in trouble for having one installed on their car? Thanks again.
#120543 - 01/23/03 10:20 PM Re: Another newbie question
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
All i can talk about are California laws (which are VERY restrictive). We technically cannot install non-OEM or parts without CARB E.O. numbers. I haven't heard anyone getting in trouble for the filter, but I would run into issues if i made a homemade cold air intake.

Thats why i'm kinda stuck with the SLP intake since it is CARB legal.

You could always do a swap if you have inspections or smog checks. *shrug* But really, i wouldn't worry too much.

ferb!
#120544 - 01/23/03 10:21 PM Re: Another newbie question
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,
That shouldn't be the case in Washington.
I live in Portland, and they don't lift your hood to check emmissions here. So, as long as I pass the smog test, I'm good to go. I'm sure it's the same way in Washington. If not, I know there are a few members that live in the Seattle area that will tell you different.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#120545 - 01/24/03 05:40 AM Re: Another newbie question
Ditka83 Offline
Loc: Seattle
In case there are some questions of legality, will the filter say if it is legal or not (like the SLP intake) or do I have to go searching some government website for the rules and regulations?
#120546 - 01/25/03 02:03 AM Re: Another newbie question
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,
The only reference it will make to legality is towards California. Cali. has the toughest restrictions on modifications, so anyone who wants to sell after market products there...And they will...Will have them approved by the State.
Best reference you can get is word of mouth, from people who live where you live. So far between Washington and Oregon, the only thing they check for(on my car) is the Catalytic Converter. The only time they raised my hood, was to check to make sure my car('78 Monte Carlo) came with the converter, and that was just so they could see a sticker.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com