Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121944 - 07/16/05 08:43 AM Must have been hot yesterday. My rear view decided to melt off.
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Could anyone tell me whats the least Get 'r done way of fixing this?

I cam into my car, and it was just dangling there, connected to the wires. At first I thought someone came in and yanked it down for some reason. I just unclipped it and tucked the wire up for now.

Should I take off the old glue on the windshield, or put new over it?

Thanks again guys. cheers

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#121945 - 07/16/05 09:22 AM Re: Must have been hot yesterday. My rear view decided to melt off.
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Any car parts store should have a kit. It's like $2 and comes with a new cut adhesive strip.
#121946 - 07/16/05 11:46 AM Re: Must have been hot yesterday. My rear view decided to melt off.
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Yeah what Bryant said. Although in the past I've purchased kits that use epoxy. You combine the two chemicals on the windshield, put the mirror on and it sticks for good.
#121947 - 07/16/05 12:39 PM Re: Must have been hot yesterday. My rear view decided to melt off.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Remove all the old glue first. By the way you'll want to remove the little metal anchor from the rearview and glue on just the anchor. This way you can use a small piece of tape to hold it while it dries then trying to hold the entire mirror.
#121948 - 07/16/05 02:20 PM Re: Must have been hot yesterday. My rear view decided to melt off.
car8fan Offline
Loc: La Grange, NC USA
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Remove all the old glue first. By the way you'll want to remove the little metal anchor from the rearview and glue on just the anchor. This way you can use a small piece of tape to hold it while it dries then trying to hold the entire mirror.
My wife's Cavalier does it all the time. Herc's method is the best way I've found to do it, only I've had the best results using the GEL super-glue. It hasn't fallen off yet this year. Oh yeah, ... Make sure you give the glue at least 24 hrs to set before you attach the mirror and make certain you put the metal clip on properly.