Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124497 - 06/27/06 11:06 AM couple of cai ?s
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Loc: Bardstown, KY
hey guys, i am currently working on my first cai and i have a question about the sensor that sits inside the tubing going to the filter. is there a preferred place for it to be. with the current design, it has the wires completely stretched out and will end up inside the air box. can that be moved further down the tube and closer to the intake without having any adverse effects?

secondly, does the pcm need to be inside the air box? i currently hav it still strapped down and under the box. i couldnt figure out a good way to get it inside.

also, is there a suggested size of the box. is bigger better or will it function the same regardless the size?

sorry for so many questions in one post, just trying to get everything together before i start the final cuts. btw, going a little off the beaten path and building it from plexy
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#124498 - 06/27/06 11:12 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
1. I think it should stay the same distance compared to the OE intake.

2. It can be either way.

3. No size limit just as long as you take into account the location and if there are any moving/hot parts next to it.

No worries about the questions. It's good to ask. Good luck and take some pics!
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#124499 - 06/27/06 11:23 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I am doing some measuring, and drawing to make my own CAI box from plexi as well. We will have to exchange Ideas and thoughts/problems that we may have. I think I am going to make my own pcm tray as well from sheet metal or plexi. Not totally sure yet. confused
#124500 - 06/27/06 11:31 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
ok, headed to Lowes to pick up some plexy, i think i have what i need to start the prototype. thanks for the speedy reply.

will post some pics with dimensions as soon as possible.
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#124501 - 06/27/06 11:45 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
post some pics while your building it and the finished product! Good luck!
#124502 - 06/27/06 01:03 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
I am unsure of how much it will cost you total and time to build it....IM going with the thrasher just because I think the fit n finish on it is nice....
#124503 - 06/27/06 01:41 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
i already have the K&N cone filter that was ont he car when i bought it and i picked upt he plexy already. that was a little pricier than i thought it would be, cost me almost $40 for about a 1/3 sheet. so really that is all i will have invested in it. i doubt i can buy anything already made for that. besides, i like the challenge of fabricating things myself. may not look as well, but i hope it will turn out good
#124504 - 06/27/06 02:10 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I still have a wizaired if anyone wants to buy it.

When you guys are done make sure you post pics!
#124505 - 06/27/06 02:29 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
Kansas GXP Offline
I to like to fabircate things, and I have a couple of different sizes of cone K&N's that I can choose from, that were in some totalled cars here. I will probably choose one that will be small enough to make a small box, no larger than the stock box.

I wish I had a digital camera to put my pics of the building and after on the net for you guys. That is the next goodie on my list to get, but can't quite afford right now, beings that I just bought a 42" plasma tv last month. laugh
#124506 - 06/27/06 04:13 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
I've received my K&N cone last night, I have the 3" coupler that goes to the TB, i have the PVC 45deg. elbow which is very ugly, and now i need the tube that connects the cone to the elbow, but this cone flange is 4", so i have to look how to connect, so pics will be vey helpful if you could post them.

Well i don't have the pieces for the air box, hope you could post your sizes.

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#124507 - 06/27/06 05:48 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
Kansas GXP Offline
Alex.
you can also use PVC pipe to connect from the 45 deg. elbow, to the filter if you wanted to. It won't be very pretty, but I would suggest you paint it anyways. Maybe do a Red to match your car smile

I will try to borrow my brother's digital camera to take pic's of my build up this weekend, so that you can see what I did. I will post the deminsions that I will use on this thread later this week.
#124508 - 06/27/06 06:06 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
When building an airbox, it'll be wise to use cardboard first. Cut a little bigger than the size you think you need then trim it down to fit. My first box was made from cardboard wrapped with reflectix. My current design is polystyrene wrapped in reflectix, kind of a double insulated box, actually quadrupled. Outer layer of reflectix, layer of polystyrene, second layer of polystyrene (I doubled up on the polystyrene) and the inner layer of reflectix. laugh
Once you get the cardboard pieces to fit right, trace those on the plexy, then cut the plexy.

Have fun!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#124509 - 06/27/06 06:09 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
I still have a wizaired if anyone wants to buy it.

When you guys are done make sure you post pics!
And fer the hell of it a few pics in between..I like pictures they are nice.
#124510 - 06/27/06 07:37 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_GTPeanut:
hey guys, i am currently working on my first cai and i have a question about the sensor that sits inside the tubing going to the filter. is there a preferred place for it to be. with the current design, it has the wires completely stretched out and will end up inside the air box. can that be moved further down the tube and closer to the intake without having any adverse effects?

secondly, does the pcm need to be inside the air box? i currently hav it still strapped down and under the box. i couldnt figure out a good way to get it inside.

also, is there a suggested size of the box. is bigger better or will it function the same regardless the size?

sorry for so many questions in one post, just trying to get everything together before i start the final cuts. btw, going a little off the beaten path and building it from plexy
My two cents:
1. Your IAT sensor can be moved, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Some people swear by moving it as close to the "cold air" as possible to kind of "trick" the PCM into thinking the air is cooler than it is. I don't like the idea of "tricking" things.

2. Nope, it doesn't have to be. In fact, if I make a cai box, I want the PCM outside the box. The PCM gives off heat (maybe slight amounts, but heat nonetheless). I want to keep my PCM out of the box if possible (but having it in is most common).

3. bigger is always better as long as you keep the hot air out. Don't make it so big that the heat from the tranny will get in for instance. But if you make it too small, the airflow can become restrictive.
#124511 - 06/27/06 09:34 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
umfan, that was 3 cents, not 2 crazy

Only thing I'd like to add is that while plexiglass would look cool on the top, it'd be a good idea to insulate the rest of the box (sides and bottom) to help keep engine heat out. The foily reflective stuff looks good.

I'm in the process of figuring out what I'm doing for a better intake on my CSC setup... right now its just a 9" K&N clamped to the inlet of the supercharger. I'll probably go fenderwell since theres not much room for a box with my blow-off/BBV now.... and I'll insulate the pipe going over into the fenderwell. I might reroute the valve's outlet back into the intake (should technically be better for power/SC spin, but would reduce valve sound, which could be bad or good depending if you like it).

-Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >