Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124512 - 06/27/06 10:46 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex:
I've received my K&N cone last night, I have the 3" coupler that goes to the TB, i have the PVC 45deg. elbow which is very ugly, and now i need the tube that connects the cone to the elbow, but this cone flange is 4", so i have to look how to connect
Alex,
The 4" filter will attach to the hub of the 45*. You don't need a piece of pipe for that.

http://pdxcgp.com
#124513 - 06/27/06 10:54 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:

1. Your IAT sensor can be moved, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Some people swear by moving it as close to the "cold air" as possible to kind of "trick" the PCM into thinking the air is cooler than it is. I don't like the idea of "tricking" things.
Relocating the IAT isn't "tricking" the PCM. It simply keeps the sensor from coming in contact with parts that are exposed to the engine heat, which in a sense could allow it to read higher temps than you are REALLY receiving.

People that talk about "tricking" the PCM usually have a resistor in the place of the sensor, giving the PCM a constant IAT rather than the sensor telling the PCM what it sees.

My IAT sensor is located way up in front of my filter. There are times when I still feel the need to trick the PCM because of having a Black car, and track temps. It would be more so if the sensor was mounted in the engine bay.

#124514 - 06/28/06 01:31 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
umfan, that was 3 cents, not 2 crazy

Only thing I'd like to add is that while plexiglass would look cool on the top, it'd be a good idea to insulate the rest of the box (sides and bottom) to help keep engine heat out. The foily reflective stuff looks good.
I agree with this too. Plexi looks pretty, but it's not a great insulator.
#124515 - 06/28/06 06:02 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
One little note if the apearance of the pvc is offensive the best I've found to paint it with is truck bed liner spray looks and is pretty durable.Chico.
#124516 - 06/28/06 08:26 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I had planned on the whole box being made of the Plexi glass, and keep the top open or see through, and insulate the remainder of it w/ the reflective insulation. Maybe paint the whole box, w/ the exception of the top. I was thinking something similar to the thrasher box, or what Chico has.
#124517 - 06/28/06 02:37 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
Quote:
[b] I've received my K&N cone last night, I have the 3" coupler that goes to the TB, i have the PVC 45deg. elbow which is very ugly, and now i need the tube that connects the cone to the elbow, but this cone flange is 4", so i have to look how to connect
Alex,
The 4" filter will attach to the hub of the 45*. You don't need a piece of pipe for that. [/b]
But my elbow is 3" so the cone wont fit directly.
And the elbow is too short, the cone would be too near the engine. I bought a tube of 7" to connect the cone and a copler of 4-3"

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#124518 - 06/28/06 09:26 PM Re: couple of cai ?s
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
[b]
Quote:
[b] I've received my K&N cone last night, I have the 3" coupler that goes to the TB, i have the PVC 45deg. elbow which is very ugly, and now i need the tube that connects the cone to the elbow, but this cone flange is 4", so i have to look how to connect
Alex,
The 4" filter will attach to the hub of the 45*. You don't need a piece of pipe for that. [/b]
But my elbow is 3" so the cone wont fit directly.
And the elbow is too short, the cone would be too near the engine. I bought a tube of 7" to connect the cone and a copler of 4-3" [/b]
Your material is not what I typically see then. Usually it's a Schedule 40 PVC which has a hub that is 4" in diameter to mate to a 4" filter, and the other end is 3.5" diameter to mate to the rubber coupling.....I assumed you had the same.
Can you take a picture of what you have?

#124519 - 07/27/06 12:18 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Loc: Bardstown, KY
ok, so i finally got it done and in the car. i still have some work to do on it, but at least it is finished. im not entirely happy about the overall finished product, but that is my fault. i did not put much thought into it, just went after it.

i did end up making it out of plexy and used aluminum angle to tie the corners together. ended up using too small angle and some of the corners did not hold together very well so i am going to go back over it with aluminum tape and see how that turns out.

i do have some pics and if i can get it together a rough, and i mean rough, diagram of the cut list. i used a cardboard template and once i was happy with that i cut the plexy and them made the drawings, ended up doing some further cutting and never made new diagrams. but what i have is a good starting place if i can get it all scanned to my computer. right now i am still having some computer problems, got a virus that totally screwed the hard drive or boot process, but as soon i get it back and everytihg running again i will try to get it all posted.
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#124520 - 07/27/06 08:20 AM Re: couple of cai ?s
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_GTPeanut:
ok, so i finally got it done and in the car. i still have some work to do on it, but at least it is finished. im not entirely happy about the overall finished product, but that is my fault. i did not put much thought into it, just went after it.
Good, now you know what areas need to be worked on and your second version will be much better.
smile

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2