Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124831 - 05/18/05 10:05 PM Strange ticking noise... please help
codyne Offline
Loc: 10.3.8
I'm about 90% sure it's not a motor type noise. I can hear it the best when i'm next to a wall and it's mostly coming from the right side but I can also hear it on the left very slightly.
I've heard people say it could be a cracked vaccume(sp*) line, some kinda heat shield, or a wheel bearing.
I took it to the dealer and they didn't know either. They said i'd have to go to a GM dealer to get it checked out. They also suggested having the tranny flushed for some reason. :-/
Everyone who has heard it says it's nothing to worry about and it shouldn't get any worse.

I dunno, i'm at a lose... please help

any opinions?

2003 Grand Prix se 4 Dr Drk Tropic Teal Metallic
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/839466
#124832 - 05/19/05 09:32 AM Re: Strange ticking noise... please help
wishitwasaGTP Offline
Loc: Long Beach,MS
I think its just an SE thing honestly. I have the same ticking noise for a few minutes after startup and drowns out a bit after that. I have a friend at work who has a GT and I dont here a tick from his. I think its the valves on the 3100 but mine hasnt got worse at all. I started using Mobil 1 full syn. Thought that would help a bit but was for not. Sounds like the same noise I have, dont worry about it.
#124833 - 05/19/05 09:41 AM Re: Strange ticking noise... please help
GtCombination Offline
Loc: New York
Narrow it down. Do a shade tree mech test. Use a solid bar of sometype placing it on random metal spots and listening to the end. Of course it amplifies the sound so you will hear some disruption, check the front the rear heads for sound difference. Depending on your miles becareful with synthetics. Higher milage vehicles that never ran synthetic, dont get the full benefit from it and its just a waste of money. The clearances also could be an issue.

" A true REAL mod takes longer than 1 hour to install"
" Dont like it then smile like a donut "
#124834 - 05/19/05 09:42 AM Re: Strange ticking noise... please help
GtCombination Offline
Of course that was J.C. I'd just get an Automobile stethoscope, more functional and pretty cheap.
-K.c

#124835 - 05/19/05 09:48 AM Re: Strange ticking noise... please help
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by GtCombination:
Of course that was J.C. -K.c
It would be soo much easier to tell who is who if one of you will get your own log in, it is free... :rolleyes:

Unless of course both of you are really one and you're having split personality issues.
wink

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#124836 - 05/19/05 09:55 AM Re: Strange ticking noise... please help
GtCombination Offline
Split personality issues. Actually I just find it easy to come in once and awhile. Try and help people out. J.c. does the same on some of my forums. He usually leaves everything up and going with the link right infront of me so i just cant help myself. I love the gp's, but i find myself in the Chevy catig. I dont think you guys would appriciate a vette, silverado, and a bow tie pic on a siggy creeping around the forums. Dont get me wrong, but ya cant race with a 8,500lb truck crawling over your bumper. Hmm.

#124837 - 05/19/05 09:56 AM Re: Strange ticking noise... please help
GtCombination Offline
Alright J.C's cranking over my shoulder, and he agree's with you. I'll join, and try and make an appealing sig. smile

#124838 - 05/19/05 09:28 PM Re: Strange ticking noise... please help
codyne Offline
Loc: 10.3.8
Quote:
Originally posted by GtCombination:
Narrow it down. Do a shade tree mech test. Use a solid bar of sometype placing it on random metal spots and listening to the end. Of course it amplifies the sound so you will hear some disruption, check the front the rear heads for sound difference. Depending on your miles becareful with synthetics. Higher milage vehicles that never ran synthetic, dont get the full benefit from it and its just a waste of money. The clearances also could be an issue.
so if I take it to the shop and I ask them to do this they'll know what i'm talking about or no? I'm a little lost on the instuctions that you gave me. I'm not really all that much of a wrench head but i'm learning slowly as I go forward with mods.
anyways... I have about 67K on the car, about 47 when i bought it a last summer. I've been putting the synthetic blend stuff in with every oil change. You think it'll be alright to straight up switch to synthetic?
Oh I forgot to add in the original post that the the noise only occurs when i'm on the gas. Hopefully that helps.
Thanks a lot to the above!

2003 Grand Prix se 4 Dr Drk Tropic Teal Metallic
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/839466