Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125929 - 10/29/09 01:55 AM Re: Top Swap, Need info
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
ok, i know i said that and honestly i dont know why i said that either.. kooky

Ben, just do headers, it will be MUCH easier to install the headers while everything is off the motor.

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#125930 - 10/29/09 03:01 AM Re: Top Swap, Need info
ChrisGT Offline
Loc: Cranston, RI
Your telling Ben to do headers mean while you have more than enough supporting mods to run a 3.4 and your still on a 3.8....

Your saying headers will be easier to install while everything is off the motor? How exactly is removing the UIM, LIM, TB and intake going to make installing headers easier? What are you gunna do take the heads off put the headers on the heads when they are off the block...

Ben do what you budget allows for. Make sure you have all the parts that you NEED for the TS first before you go off and buying additional mods. If you do a mixed setup you have plenty of space to keep going like Chico said.

04 GTO M6 | HE SS Clutch | Kooks LT's | SLP LM2 | K&N
Soon: APS TT kit wink

SOLD \/
01 GT | STr5 cam | PT-67 | 18-22psi

#125931 - 10/29/09 03:16 AM Re: Top Swap, Need info
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
obviously you need the heads on the block dude. I am not that stupid nor is he to think that, that is what i meant!

Youre right i do have plenty of supporting mods, but I do not want to run anything lower than the 3.8 right now, and if your going to rag on me for that then thats messed up...I am waiting to do more mods in the spring and will hopefully be down to a 3.2. So before you go ragging on me why dont you get the whole story first.

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#125932 - 10/29/09 03:28 AM Re: Top Swap, Need info
ChrisGT Offline
Loc: Cranston, RI
Your telling me to chill out lol I'm perfectly relaxed dude idk why you are getting so offended haha w.e.

I wasn't ragging I was being sarcastic well except for the first part that was a snide remark :p but I guess some people take things way to seriously.

You most deff can drop to a 3.4 with a good tune and I was checking your build progress but ill stop with that since I don't know the whole story...

04 GTO M6 | HE SS Clutch | Kooks LT's | SLP LM2 | K&N
Soon: APS TT kit wink

SOLD \/
01 GT | STr5 cam | PT-67 | 18-22psi

#125933 - 10/29/09 06:18 PM Re: Top Swap, Need info
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
No that I think about it... unless the heads are off, installing headers with the whole top end off would still be a PITA since the valve cover is what got my stuck for a little bit
#125934 - 10/29/09 06:53 PM Re: Top Swap, Need info
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
No that I think about it... unless the heads are off, installing headers with the whole top end off would still be a PITA since the valve cover is what got my stuck for a little bit
The valve covers sound like an easy part of the top swap, how was it hard for you?

I do not plan on any additional mods since I have supporting mods for the top swap minus the 180 tstat that ill worry about in summer time. As for now I'm getting the main parts, then for $50 dollars at a local machine shop I'm getting the heads resurfaced so they will be good to go.

From there I will then start purchasing gaskets,spray-a-gasket,supercharger oil, Top swap PCM, and other various items. Once I have it all I will begin the top swap and space it out if I have to (want correct info for everything I do). I will need torque specs for bolts, etc.. If anyone knows where to find this (link) would be nice:)

I looked at the Top Swap writeup here (read it a few times): http://www.grandprixforums.net/f17/top-swap-info-faqs-also-lots-7763.html

There was a few torque specs listed there but not all were posted, so I will need all for everything I will be touching and removing on the top swap.

Like I've said before I have a backup vehicle so I can wait awhile if I need stuff and take it slow and space things out. I have no rush on this and will be probably receiving the main parts of top swap next week if shipping goes smoothly. The weekend after that I will be able to get the heads resurfaced and start worrying about gaskets and such then. Install will probably be in December or start of next year.

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#125935 - 10/29/09 08:08 PM Re: Top Swap, Need info
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
I meant valve covers by fitting my headers behind there, I scraped them all up
#125936 - 10/29/09 09:15 PM Re: Top Swap, Need info
GTPCompG Offline
So I need someone who knows about top swaps and everything I need, I've asked and annoyed Andrew way to much and finally have come up with a list of everything I will be getting. Feel free to pitch in if something is wrong with what im getting or if something is missing and I need it.

I've done some research and figured out how I want to do this, I just need the parts and make sure im not missing anything.

SC with zzp MPS hub
LIM with temp sensorand egr block
Thermostat housing
both heads with head bolts,pushrods,rockers and pedestals
L67 Fuel rail
Coil pack bracket
SC tensioner setup
All idler pulleys
TB thats polished inside
Valve covers(one might need to be replaced)

ZZP Modular Pulley SS Kit 4.2
ZZP L67 Top Swap Adapter Harness
ZZP Top Swap Kit (including ZZP 1.0 PCM)
Eaton replacement coupler
Resurface Heads at local machine shop
SC Oil (GM)
Coolant elbows
Rocker bolts
060950 - SS M90 for 99+ Serpentine Belt ZZP
GTP Injectors
copper spray-a-gasket
Autolites 104 Spark Plugs
Oil/Coolant/Oil Filter

#125937 - 10/29/09 09:35 PM Re: Top Swap, Need info
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
For a TS you will need both valve covers and you can't use the SS 4.2 pulley with a dual belt setup ,a TB that's polished inside??? there are lots of complete TS's for sale over at CGP and not to be mean please get someone experienced to help you out .Chico(pops)
#125938 - 10/29/09 09:37 PM Re: Top Swap, Need info
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
For a TS you will need both valve covers and you can't use the SS 4.2 pulley with a dual belt setup ,a TB that's polished inside??? there are lots of complete TS's for sale over at CGP and not to be mean please get someone experienced to help you out .Chico(pops)
I'm going to run a single belt setup, as for the TB polished I have no idea. The harmonic balancer and other few items for dual belt are just extra added goodies. I plan on running SSM90 belt and pulley and bypassing the balancer. I will get an extra valve cover if necessary. I'm buying this top swap at club GP. I plan on getting experienced people such as Andrew 4drgt to help me out as well.

#125939 - 10/29/09 09:42 PM Re: Top Swap, Need info
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Ok if you pllan on running the single belt you need a stand off pulley that comes with the SS M-90 install kit,it just so happens I have this available since I switched to a dual belt setup ,if you need it PM me.Chico(pops)
#125940 - 10/31/09 12:45 AM Re: Top Swap, Need info
GTPCompG Offline
As far as money wise I realize top swap is more expensive then it seems even when you get all the main parts for cheap. I will not be attempting this as a fear of me messing up, plus I rely on my car heavily. Thanks though for everyone who helped me in planning it out, I learned a lot more about my car by just reading up on the top swap and understand more now.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3