Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126460 - 07/09/10 05:20 PM Sway Bar Issue (56k no)
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
What swaybar would work with my 2004 Comp G (front sway bar) as I'm having popping etc when I turn and it is stiff sometimes. I think I found some damage or at least some things that I found odd that may need some explaining.

Are these slits normal? I found this on both of the stock bushings on the sway bar. Is this damage or is this how they slip on using that slit?

Also I found this cracked and damaged rubber piece, not sure what it is. Is this what is causing the popping when I steer? I'm assuming so because the sway bar had just a little bit of play but nothing abnormal.

Close up of destruction

Just a pic of the downpipe dealer installed a month or so ago. (quite random, I know.)

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#126461 - 07/09/10 05:27 PM Re: Sway Bar Issue (56k no)
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Those slits in the sway bar bushing are normal. As you guessed, that's how it fits over the bar.

That other part is a tie rod end, and the dust boot is busted. Yeah, if all the grease is gone, it can cause a popping noise when you turn.
#126462 - 07/09/10 05:31 PM Re: Sway Bar Issue (56k no)
GTPCompG Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Those slits in the sway bar bushing are normal. As you guessed, that's how it fits over the bar.

That other part is a tie rod end, and the dust boot is busted. Yeah, if all the grease is gone, it can cause a popping noise when you turn.
Thanks rook for posting so quick. How can I fix this and what do I need? Will this need an alignment to fix?

Also since im asking so many questions heres another. Is this something that is in dire need of fixing or can one drive on this for some time without too many issues or life threatening problems?

#126463 - 07/09/10 06:21 PM Re: Sway Bar Issue (56k no)
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by GrandPrixGTAlpine:
Thanks rook for posting so quick. How can I fix this and what do I need? Will this need an alignment to fix?

Also since im asking so many questions heres another. Is this something that is in dire need of fixing or can one drive on this for some time without too many issues or life threatening problems?
Buy a new tie rod end and have it installed, around $35 for the part. Yes, you'll need an alignment.

How dire depends on the condition. If it's already popping, that means the joint is dry and you have until the metal wears enough for the tie rod to fail and it'll fall off. Worst case scenario, it does it while driving and you're wheel has a mind of its own. eek

Oh, you can prolong the whole ordeal by injecting grease around the joint.
#126464 - 07/09/10 06:37 PM Re: Sway Bar Issue (56k no)
nyjets91 Offline
Loc: Wallingford/Hartford, CT
If it's already popping, I would say better to be safe than sorry. Get it fixed and aligned as soon as you can. Until then, drive carefully and don't take any long trips if you can avoid them.
#126465 - 07/09/10 10:50 PM Re: Sway Bar Issue (56k no)
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
You shouldn't need an alignment after doing the tie rod end if you replace it properly.

Before taking the old one off, count how many turns it takes to tighten it all the way up and then take it off. When putting the new one on, tighten it up all the way and then loosen however many turns it took to tighten the old one up.
#126466 - 07/10/10 01:05 AM Re: Sway Bar Issue (56k no)
GTPCompG Offline
In the time I haven't spent trying to fix this issue I got my K&N 9" filter cleaned and re-oiled well. Also cleaned my MAF sensor. I worked on fixing my intake and got the tubing to sit straight so the filter doesn't drag on the bottom of my trash can (trash can intake fake heat shield).

Hoping to get this issue fixed by monday morning when I take car to be painted! cool I'm so excited.

I'll take your advice randall and see what I can do.