Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128315 - 05/06/02 12:28 PM Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
tkglsxk Offline
Loc: Maryville, TN
Does anyone know what the difference is, performance wise, between a drop in replacement K&N filter and a cone K&N. A friend of mine told me that he read in a magazine that the difference wasn't noticeable. I'm wondering what you all think about them. One thing I know is the drop in over all is much cheaper. Think about it, either build or buy the new intake and everything and then buy the cone filter or just buy the drop in factory replacement K&N filter and keep the stock intake. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Thanks,
Don
1998 white
GTP coupe
#128316 - 05/06/02 12:42 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Mike Levy Offline
Loc: Flushing, New York
Get the conical. It has a far larger surface area, and gets air from 360 degrees. Its really not more expensive. Drop-in runs about $35, and I've gotten conicals for less then $40.
#128317 - 05/06/02 01:24 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Chris Jarrett Offline
Loc: Delaware County, PA
The stock airbox (drop-in) is much more restrictive than the conical. More air = more power. You can build your own Cold Air Induction for relatively cheap, or you can buy one already made. Thrasher, MSP, SLP, all make CAI's. IMHO its one of the best cheapest mods you can do for your car. And you usually get better gas mileage too, at least I did.... cheers
Fully Loaded
Reflective Badges Everywhere, S.S. Grilles, Thrasher CAI,
Painted Calipers,
180 T-stat, titanium tint,Blazertech 3200's, ASP 3.4
Chinny's Rims
#128318 - 05/06/02 02:59 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Shag Finger Offline
Loc: Born and raised in Baltimore, ...
I did some tests.

Stock airbox + stock air filter = 14.6

Stock airbox + no fitler at all = 14.6

Removed airbox altogether = 14.3

Cone filter = 14.3

You be the judge.

YMMV.
#128319 - 05/06/02 04:15 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Mike Levy Offline
Are those vaccuum pressure numbers Jeff? Its hard to believe that the stock filter wouldn't add any restriction at all over no filter. Kinda proves the airbox is the restriction.
#128320 - 05/06/02 08:41 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shag Finger:
I did some tests.

Stock airbox + stock air filter = 14.6

Stock airbox + no fitler at all = 14.6

Removed airbox altogether = 14.3

Cone filter = 14.3

You be the judge.

YMMV.
I ran a best 14.5 stock.....
When I dropped a K&N Panel in, I stayed at 14.5
When I installed a Cone (open cone)still only a 14.5
When I installed a CAI box I got a 14.4.....

The numbers you show (I think) are a fluke, It's hard to believe that you could get 3 tenths better out of a cone vs. the "no filter"

I love the cone vs. panel. It certainly seems to let the sound of the SC out of the hood better than the panel did.

http://pdxcgp.com
#128321 - 05/07/02 06:48 AM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Chris Jarrett Offline
I don't think its that hard to believe at all. If you ever actually look at a stock intake, there is practically no airflow at all. A CAI on the other hand has almost no restriction, its an open three inch tube from the filter to the throttle body. More air is always better. I was running low 15's with the stick airbox. Now I'm running low 14's with a CAI and a 3.4 pulley. The pulley is great and all but i dont think it is responsible for over a second decrease entirely by itself......
Fully Loaded
Painted Calipers,
Chinny's Rims
#128322 - 05/07/02 09:18 AM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Charles Weber Offline
Loc: Ankeny, Iowa, USA
One thing has always bothered me a little about the ET comparisons for different mods. No one seems to take into account the driver factor. While I no longer race, it was not uncommon to see major improvements as I became more familiar with the car. Quite often a major mod would make enough change in the car characteristics that a whole new learning cycle was necessary. You have probably all seen the differences that a really good driver sometimes makes, a 1 second improvement between drivers is not all that uncommon. Do you remember your first time out? For most of us it was not too great. Give your selves a little credit, maybe you are driving a little better.
#128323 - 05/07/02 10:53 AM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Shag Finger Offline
Loc: Born and raised in Baltimore, ...
My above runs were all on the same night and went over a span of about 10 different passes. I am also a veteran at the drag strip, this is not my first car that I have taken down the quartmile and it wasnt the first time that I took this car to the track either.

Debate it all you want I know that I saw what I saw.
#128324 - 05/07/02 01:26 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
Just getbthe cone. It's worth it.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)
#128325 - 05/07/02 02:14 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Chris Jarrett Offline
Quote:
Just getbthe cone. It's worth it.
My point exactly :rolleyes:
Fully Loaded
Painted Calipers,
Chinny's Rims
#128326 - 05/07/02 08:42 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Shag Finger:
My above runs were all on the same night and went over a span of about 10 different passes. I am also a veteran at the drag strip, this is not my first car that I have taken down the quartmile and it wasnt the first time that I took this car to the track either.

Debate it all you want I know that I saw what I saw.
I'm not debating anything. I've made several runs in one night, and had results that are similar to yours without making any changes. Some runs are better than others. I'm just trying to point out that, your results are probably not typical. Like I said before, I just can't see improving your ET by 3 tenths between No filter and ,removing the air box, or, no filter and a cone.
As I said, I'm not disputing your results, I'm sure your times are legitimate and, if anyone has any similar results, please chime in, and I'll eat crow.

#128327 - 05/07/02 08:55 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Dave Offline
Loc: Sarasota, FL
I'm thinking about buying a CAI and leaning towards the SLP cause its cheaper then the Thrasher, plus it says you need to buy a coolant recovery tank with the Thrasher for another $25.

Anyone know if the filter that comes with the SLP is a K&N ? Anyone know if I'd need the coolant recovery tank with the SLP?

Thanks,
Dave
#128328 - 05/07/02 09:26 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Mike Levy Offline
The SLP filter isn't usually a K&N. Usually its an S&B. Sometimes its a K&N. It depends what they happen to have on hand at any given time.
#128329 - 05/07/02 11:19 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
I'm thinking about buying a CAI and leaning towards the SLP cause its cheaper then the Thrasher, plus it says you need to buy a coolant recovery tank with the Thrasher for another $25.

Anyone know if the filter that comes with the SLP is a K&N ? Anyone know if I'd need the coolant recovery tank with the SLP?

Thanks,
Dave
The coolant bottle may be required w/ any CAI you buy. I believe on the '97's the bottle is in the way of an aftermarket filter system. They changed that in '99 I think, moved the bottle to the passenger side of the engine bay. Wait...now that I think about it, the SLP is very close to the stock box.

Doesn't the SLP box only house a 7" filter? vs. the 9" filter on other systems?????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >