Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128330 - 05/10/02 06:20 AM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
BrentA Offline
Loc: Mission, KS
Don's original question was whether or not a cone is better than a drop-in. There's been some good testing of this, but don't forget that Don said he had a '98 with the old restrictive air box. The '99+ GP's have a less restrictive air box right from the factory. If you go with a cone you'll almost definately have to move your coolant bottle, but I do think it's a worthwhile mod. When I did mine I did notice an improvement, but I never used a K&N drop in. Good luck.
Brent I. Adams '98 Silvermist GTP Coupe Poly bushings, Thrasher airbox, tranny cooler, 3.4" pulley, U-bend replaced, F-bar, Blazertech 2200's, Crossover wrap, Rat heat shield, Borla tips, Taylor wires, NGK TR55's, stereo stuff
#128331 - 05/10/02 07:43 AM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Chris Jarrett Offline
Loc: Delaware County, PA
The differemce between the SLP and the Thrashe/MSP CAI are that the SLP has a 7 inch cone, while the Thrasher/MSP have a 9 inch cone. The SLP is more along the lines of a less restrictive factory box, while the Thrasher/MSP relocate the PCM and definitely allow for more air to come through. IMHO the Thrasher/MSP are the best pre-fab ones out there. And I have used the K&N Drop-in and there is a huge difference between the two. Just listen to the whine when you step on it with a CAI... devilsmile
Fully Loaded
Reflective Badges Everywhere, S.S. Grilles, Thrasher CAI,
Painted Calipers,
180 T-stat, titanium tint,Blazertech 3200's, ASP 3.4
Chinny's Rims
#128332 - 05/13/02 11:55 AM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Shag Finger Offline
Loc: Born and raised in Baltimore, ...
There is no need to move the coolant bottle if you run an open cone. Also I am not sure that the 99 box is all that better. I did see a .3 difference with out the box...put it back in and I went .3 slower again. I did it too many times to chalk it up to not driving my car consistent. When I go to the track the first two runs are blow offs because I am getting used to the track conditions but after that I am usually within a few thousands on my times. So to see a .3 diff is huge.
#128333 - 05/13/02 02:04 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Phil C. Offline
Loc: Louisville
Heres something I heard about CAI's. Ok this may sound stupid and this states doesnt come from me, but i heard this from some guy. ok first off all of our cars are fuel injected. They have an air temp sensor i believe for the air coming from the intake and to the engine. Now i hear that on fuel injected cars the pcm interupts with this open cai system. the cold air comes in but the sensors changes the airs temp to factory standards through the pcm. I was curious about this, sounds like some bs to me but thats why im asking you guys.
thanks confused confused
#128334 - 05/14/02 11:24 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C.:
Heres something I heard about CAI's. Ok this may sound stupid and this states doesnt come from me, but i heard this from some guy. ok first off all of our cars are fuel injected. They have an air temp sensor i believe for the air coming from the intake and to the engine. Now i hear that on fuel injected cars the pcm interupts with this open cai system. the cold air comes in but the sensors changes the airs temp to factory standards through the pcm. I was curious about this, sounds like some bs to me but thats why im asking you guys.
thanks confused confused
Hello,
The only thing you change w/ a CAI, is the restriction of the airflow. You lessen the restriction, the temperatures remains the same (according to the PCM). If the intake air is a bit cooler than it was yesterday, I would think the PCM would not take that into consideration. Air flow, on the other hand, will change dramatically, which is why you disconnect the battery for the given time to "reset" the PCM. So it can adjust the fuel tables according to the air flow. All in all, according to what I've read, the PCM "learns" how make the enging run optimal to most changed conditions after unplugging it for a 1/2 hour.

http://pdxcgp.com
#128335 - 05/14/02 11:58 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Phil C. Offline
sounds interesting anyone else have any feedback? confused
#128336 - 05/15/02 07:40 AM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
vortec4200 Offline
Loc: Sterling Heights, MI
Phil what are you saying? That the air temperature sensor somehow heats the incoming air back up?

All the temp sensor is, is a thermometer. It reports the temperature of the incoming air to the engine, so the correct amount of fuel can be injected. This is because the density of air changes with temperature, so different amounts of fuel are injected for hot air vs. cold air.

But all the IAT (inlet air temp) sensor does is 'sense' the temperature - it doesn't heat it back up or anything.

If that's not what you were saying, forgive me, it's still early in the AM, things are sorta hazy. smile
#128337 - 05/15/02 01:10 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
Phil C. Offline
Yea I think thats where I was getting at, but like I said in my first post all that info wasnt coming from me. I was just evesdropping on a converation one day and heard that guy talking about that.
#128338 - 05/15/02 03:17 PM Re: Drop in K&N vs Cone K&N
vortec4200 Offline
Loc: Sterling Heights, MI
Ok - then I won't be offending you by saying that yes, it was total BS. smile
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2