Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132466 - 12/15/08 02:54 PM Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
Nateball Offline
Loc: Columbia MO
So last night we got about .5 inch of sleet and while I was away from home today a trash truck slid down the hill and got my GP on the passenger side of the rear bumper. They waited for me to get home and were real cool about it, but the ownder of the company wants to pay for it out of pocket and keep her insurance company out of it because it looks to be just a small bumper collision. She wants me to get two quotes and she'll just pay for it.
Should I be cool with this, or get my and their insurance companies involved?

Picture to be added soon.
#132467 - 12/15/08 03:08 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Unless you want your insurance to go up, just let them pay out of pocket.
#132468 - 12/15/08 03:11 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't involve insurance, their is a chance it could affect your insurance as well. Just take before and after pics and make sure she signs something saying she'll pay for damages.
#132469 - 12/15/08 03:26 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I'd do like RS says.
#132470 - 12/15/08 03:49 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
of course just make her pay it up front no insurance
#132471 - 12/15/08 04:16 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Why would you consider getting insurance involved?
#132472 - 12/15/08 04:27 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Yea, the person seems kinda nice so just get the quote and get the money from here up front.
#132473 - 12/15/08 06:02 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
black99gtp Offline
Loc: Chicago Suburbs
I'm fairly new to the accident scene (first one was this year), but I don't get why insurance would go up when it's not your fault.

When i got hit by the moron with no insurance (my car was parked and I wasn't in it) all I had to do was pay my 250 deductible and that was it. My insurance didn't go up. Is this because it's just one time and it could go up in the future? Or is it differences in different policies?

#132474 - 12/15/08 06:19 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
If its not your fault, especially when its parked and you are not even in it, then your rates won't go up.

it also depends on how much the repair costs.

my wife backed into a car in a minute mart parking lot, we are talking a love tap, I wasn't there, but it was a small dent in the trunk.

apparently the guy came outside freaking out saying it was a MINT condition (of course) 1 owner car. (It was a 92 oldsmobile cutlass ciera by the way).

he insisted that she stay there until the police arrived (which was not necessary). He even made the cop take pictures of it, (my wife said the cop was chuckling about how this guy was so concerned).

anyway a few weeks later I checked with my insurance agent, she said it was a $1480 repair eek (had to be about the value of the car).

I am sure he took it to the most expensive places. He was "so concerned" but I bet he has not repaired it and just pocketed the cash.

SO, what I was told by my agent, is that if it is under $700, no increase. over $700 and it will increase. my wife lost her "safe driver discount" which was $16 a month.

THE trouble with dealing with "nice people" is that they can turn into real jerks in a hurry. at first it seems like they want to help, then they don't return calls etc etc.

as long as you get it in WRITING, you should be good to go.

example, I worked at a culligans water plant, one of the drivers backed into my car, dented the rear 1/4 panel. he said he'd give me $100 cash not to say anything to the boss. OK so I didn't. well the guy never gave me the cash (pay you next friday thing). well then I told the boss, and he couldn't do anything since I did not report it immediately, and when asked the driver of course denied it.

since he was being "nice" about it I thought it was all good, but it was not the case.

the car the guy backed into was a $100 beater, but he didn't know that.

see how they react when you ask for it in writing that they will pay. if they start getting rude, mention how a neighbor "saw the whole thing"

anyway, good luck!

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#132475 - 12/15/08 07:59 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
Nateball Offline
Loc: Columbia MO
Well, I got it in writing that they accept responsibility for the damage and will pay for it and any labor costs associated with getting the car checked out. I was only thinking about insurance because I didnt want to get screwed, but I feel pretty good about dealing with these folks.
I talked to a neighbor who saw it happen and he said it looked like my car took a pretty good hit so I think I should take it to a place that will give the frame and all the spots I could develop leaks a good looking over. Other than that, I suppose it will mean a new bumper. Will a good body shop be able to match the faded original red on the car or will this have to be a full paint job?
#132476 - 12/15/08 08:08 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
A good bodyshop can blend the paint.
#132477 - 12/15/08 08:24 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
nah you dont need to go through insurance and its a good thing you got it in writing.

I would insist they give you the more expensive of the two quotes or average three quotes.
#132478 - 12/16/08 07:54 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
Richard Candelario Offline
I, personally, report everything to the insurance agency. Even the statement that you now have would be reported. "But, Rick, that's bloody retarded! They're gonna jack my rates way up and think I backed into that truck and, and, and..."

Slow down Spanky. Were you in the car? No. Was it due to your vehicle experiencing a mechanical failure? No. Is it in any way, shape, or form your fault that that truck hit your car? No. Report it so that you have a record of maintenance and repairs for later on. Such as: You get rear-ended on the left corner. The insurance folks see the nice new bumper cover and all, but your steel bumper is dented. Prior existing damage. No pay out. Happened to me with the Beretta.

Report to insurance.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#132479 - 12/16/08 08:04 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
AntGT Offline
Loc: Brooklyn ny
DONT REPORT because itll pop up on carfax if you ever going to sell the car.
#132480 - 12/16/08 08:11 PM Re: Any advice on insurance matters in a fender bender appreciated. (Pictures added)
Richard Candelario Offline
and when someone pulls up CarFax, sees no damage on the report, and notices overspray or buckling or something, then what?

Report it.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >