Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134094 - 07/07/05 11:57 AM Lowering
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Hi,

I'll lower my car by cuting the springs...i know it is not recommended but i do not have the money to import some good springs and my baby never went down after the strut change.

How much would you recommend to lower the car.
How much is not too much? I don't want it loose elegance if i can say it hat way.

1 inch? a half??

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#134095 - 07/07/05 12:21 PM Re: Lowering
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Be careful Alex.

You could be opening another PITA by cutting the springs. Why not just wait until you have the money to buy them. Hey, I think someone is giving their springs if you pay the shipping.

BTW, I would say 1" drop.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#134096 - 07/07/05 12:24 PM Re: Lowering
parablazer Offline
Loc: Texas
I would deffinatly not do it. Wait and save to do it right. My Corrado had cut springs and the ride sucked big time. Thank god the guy i bought it from sold the car to me with new springs or I would have had to spend that money to get the new springs.
#134097 - 07/07/05 12:56 PM Re: Lowering
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Do not do it alex. Take up that offer on the free springs for the cost of shipping.
#134098 - 07/07/05 12:59 PM Re: Lowering
Alex Offline
i'm giving it a try, thanks everybody!

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#134099 - 07/07/05 03:20 PM Re: Lowering
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Eibach's will drop the car approx. 1 inch.
#134100 - 07/07/05 03:51 PM Re: Lowering
framos242 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
Eibach's will drop the car approx. 1 inch.
The regular Eibach spings will.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#134101 - 07/07/05 04:44 PM Re: Lowering
car8fan Offline
Loc: La Grange, NC USA
If, and when, I lower my GP, it'll be about an inch to maybe and inch and a half tops. I like the stock 16" rims and will stay with them. 1" will be my target. Cutting the springs is NOT the way to do it though.
#134102 - 07/13/05 01:58 PM Re: Lowering
Alex Offline
what is the issue with cutting springs, the temple of the iron?
Would it be so much problem to lower it just 1/2 an inch?, would i need eibachs to lower just 1/2 "???

#134103 - 07/13/05 03:04 PM Re: Lowering
framos242 Offline
Alex,

if your cut the springs, it can completely miss up your ride quality, stance and worse.

I know that it sounds easier to just cut them but it's better to be safe than sorry. Remember, you GP is haunted. laugh

#134104 - 07/13/05 03:10 PM Re: Lowering
jeremy Offline
Loc: Mableton, GA
finally a tech question i can answer on your cars since i dont know much about them but i do know about lowering a car. when you cut the springs it greatly reduces there effectiveness because if you look at the spring they usually have two coils very close together at the top and bottom when you cut you remove that extra layer of support and the springs give out extremely quickly after that plus whenever you go over any sort of bump it will cause an very loud "thump" i test drove a Dodge Neon that had been lowered this way and every time i drove over a crack in the pavement that had been filled with tar it felt like the car was bottoming out so wait until you have the money to do it properly other wise you will just create other problems that wont seface until its to late to cheaply fix.

#134105 - 07/13/05 03:32 PM Re: Lowering
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:
finally a tech question i can answer on your cars since i dont know much about them but i do know about lowering a car. when you cut the springs it greatly reduces there effectiveness because if you look at the spring they usually have two coils very close together at the top and bottom when you cut you remove that extra layer of support and the springs give out extremely quickly after that plus whenever you go over any sort of bump it will cause an very loud "thump" i test drove a Dodge Neon that had been lowered this way and every time i drove over a crack in the pavement that had been filled with tar it felt like the car was bottoming out so wait until you have the money to do it properly other wise you will just create other problems that wont seface until its to late to cheaply fix.
So your solution would be to cut 1 inch out of the middle of the spring, and weld it back together? crazy crazy
#134106 - 07/13/05 03:56 PM Re: Lowering
Alex Offline
still my question, if i want to lower it just 1/2 inch do i need to spend 450 usd???(the price here for the springs)

#134107 - 07/13/05 04:22 PM Re: Lowering
framos242 Offline
Yes.

#134108 - 07/13/05 04:45 PM Re: Lowering
Alex Offline
s***t

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >