Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136080 - 11/24/04 03:53 PM strut bars
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
Ok are strut bars good??? what do they do??? I found some for 27 bucks so if they are good i think i might get one what size do i need?
#136081 - 11/24/04 03:55 PM Re: strut bars
hot2000gtp Offline
my bad guys i thought my first one didnt go through so i reposted it sorry
#136082 - 11/25/04 06:16 AM Re: strut bars
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Are the sturt bars good? I put them on both ends of my car. Did I notice a handling difference? Personally no because I don't push the handling on my GTP. I did it more for the bling then the go. If your looking for a handling improvement there is a cheap upgrade kit from GMpartsdirect.com that comes with everything you need. As yourself what your looking for then go from there.
#136083 - 11/25/04 09:13 AM Re: strut bars
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
After putting on my GMPP kit, I had the front strut bar that came with the kit left. I had already had one on my front and had no need to change it out. I wondered if the GMPP bar would fit on the rear. I opened up the trunk, got inside with the bar and tried to fit it on. It wouldn't exactly fit right so I drilled out one of the holes on each end, not much just a little bit. Removed one nut from the strut mount from each side and the front bar fit on the rear. Put the nuts back on the strut mounts and got them tight, front GMPP strut bar is on the rear. Don't know if it made a difference, because I had just made a big difference in my suspension with the GMPP kit.

When I put my front strut bar on, yes I did notice a difference. Without it I could feel the front end "walk" into the next lane when I would change lanes. You may not notice it but the front end does flex around. When you put a front strut bar on I think you'll realize how much your front end really does flex around. With the strut bar the front end feels a little tighter, less flex.

I've heard that the rear doesn't flex that much and a bar wouldn't be that noticable, but who knows.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#136084 - 11/25/04 10:51 AM Re: strut bars
hot2000gtp Offline
How much did your strut bar cost? And is installation easy or would i need my mechanic to put it on
#136085 - 11/25/04 06:32 PM Re: strut bars
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Installation is pretty easy. The Buick STB will require you to drill holes. It's a cheap and effective way to go. The Speedbuilt fits right on top of the strut. But, it will cost. It's up to you.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#136086 - 11/25/04 06:44 PM Re: strut bars
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
The Buick STB I'm told is the same bar that comes with the GMPP kit. I think you can get that from the dealer for less than $20, put that one on the rear. You can get a nice strut bar for the front from ebay, they're around $30. They're pretty nice, chrome and all. I saw them at other places for $80-$90 when I got mine for $29.

Here's an old pick from under my hood, not too long after I got the bar.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.