Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136269 - 08/04/05 11:20 PM went to the exhaust shop today...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
The exhaust to-do list:
1) new tips
2) remove ubend
3) see about the cutout

The new tips look freaking great. I'll get some pics up ASAP. Might not be till Sunday, though.

I'm holding off on the cutout because the flap doesn't seem to be even close to sealing well. I'm looking into how to fix it up.

The ubend. I didn't think it would be this big of a deal, because everyone is always like "yeah, just took it in and they replaced it with a straight pipe." I figured they would just remount the O2 sensor. Well they made a big deal about the piece that the O2 mounts in. I need to find one somewhere, and they have no idea where. Not sure what to say about this... may be taking it somewhere else.

Oh yeah, anybody have ideas on how to make my cutout seal a little better? Not even seal, but at least not show any light through! Its one thats operated by mechanical cable to dash, which I would be putting in myself of course. Im thinking if a welder guy could put some more metal around one part, or if I could use RTV or something.

-Bill

(ps, got the M90 being sent to zzp for SS modding then onto the powdercoater!)
#136270 - 08/05/05 12:00 AM Re: went to the exhaust shop today...
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
The ubend. I didn't think it would be this big of a deal, because everyone is always like "yeah, just took it in and they replaced it with a straight pipe." I figured they would just remount the O2 sensor. Well they made a big deal about the piece that the O2 mounts in. I need to find one somewhere, and they have no idea where. Not sure what to say about this... may be taking it somewhere else.
PFYC sells a piece to replace the ubend for around $75, it needs to be welded onto the rear of the cat. What were they making a fuss about? All you do is replace it with a straight piece of pipe and place the bung for the 02 sensor on the side letting the sensor stick out to the side so it doesn't catch on stuff. The only reason for the ubend is to protect the sensor.
#136271 - 08/05/05 12:46 AM Re: went to the exhaust shop today...
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Take it somewhere else.
I agree with Rook..... However, before buying the part that needs to be welded on, shop around your local shops, you may be able to find a shop that will replace the U-bend for the same price, or less then the part from the online store. It's just a matter of cutting a hole and welding a bung in place for the O2 sensor. I've been to 2 shops inquiring, and there was never a question about "what to do with the O2 Sensor"
There are several members here that have the U-bend delete, and they have encountered no problems having it done for them. Other then one shop that say's "No way, we aren't touching that exhaust"...... I think it's because they are old car fans, and hate new cars....... Oh well, they could have gained some work from us.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#136272 - 08/05/05 07:45 AM Re: went to the exhaust shop today...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
First off stay away from the Chain store exhaust shops!!! like Midas and Mineke. Here is why. The U-bend is welded to the catalytic converter and if you replace the cat with an OEM part it will come with the cat. Because of legalities the chain stores will 90% of the time say they won't do it because they are modifying the cat. This type of job requires you to go to an independant exhaust shop. Those are the ones that will hook you up.
#136273 - 08/06/05 10:08 AM Re: went to the exhaust shop today...
GillysGTPSS Offline
Loc: Gananoque, ON, Canada
When I took out my u-bend, the shop I had do it put the sensor just off center to the passenger side. It will fit in the grooves of the heat shield. They were going to put it right out to the side, but with the snow and stuff up here, it wouldn't have lasted the winter. All they used was a piece of exhaust pipe, the whole thing costed me $55

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#136274 - 08/12/05 09:26 PM Re: went to the exhaust shop today...
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hey where did you get it done? For $55 Im willing to drive...