Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136598 - 06/28/05 12:06 AM I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Every once in a while I see people talking about it. I'll bet its really simple, and I'll feel foolish. However, could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#136599 - 06/28/05 12:23 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Ported
Exhaust
Manifold

laugh
#136600 - 06/28/05 01:24 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Yeah, what Arc said.

Like stock manifolds, only ported out to allow more gasses to escape. It's a cheaper alternative to headers.
#136601 - 06/28/05 01:26 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
or you can go with GIH...

"G"ee I wish
"I" could afford
"H"eaders for my ride!

I can laugh cuz its true!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#136602 - 06/28/05 01:35 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
or you can go with GIH...

"G"ee I wish
"I" could afford
"H"eaders for my ride!

I can laugh cuz its true!
Amen to that one!!!! lol lol
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#136603 - 06/28/05 09:38 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Not really.

On specific occasions, it is wiser to get PEMs than headers.

For daily driving GTs, the loss of low-torque from headers may not be what you want. Too much loss of back pressure. PEMs provide the power without the severe loss of back pressure.

Headers are good for heavily modded GTs and GTPs.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#136604 - 06/28/05 09:52 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
Not really.

For daily driving GTs, the loss of low-torque from headers may not be what you want. Too much loss of back pressure. PEMs provide the power without the severe loss of back pressure.

Shiny headers also look cooler. And, isn't that really all that matters? devilgrin
#136605 - 06/28/05 10:09 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
Not really.

You are very correct Tasty!
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#136606 - 06/28/05 11:07 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
Daniel Offline
Loc: Virginia
I'd imagine new headers on our GPs would be quite a job... there's really not a lot of room to work with in the bay...
#136607 - 06/28/05 11:13 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
DominikRudnicki Offline
Loc: Texas
I'm gettin SLP headers for my GTP and I'm not heavily modded
#136608 - 06/28/05 12:02 PM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
GTP isn't affected as bad as the GTs with low end torque loss.
#136609 - 06/28/05 11:43 PM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
is there anything special to taking stock manifolds and turning them into PEM's, or does it take some kind of precision tooling. I was wondering if there might be a way to DIY, cause that would be cheaper. if not, maybe we could kinda start a "swap meet" type of thing, where we get a set of stocks, and have them proted, then pass the ones off of the car to the next guy. Just kidding about the swapping thing guys!! but seriously, if anybody knows of a DIY way to make PEM's, please direct me to the link, or tell me how to do it.
Thanks!

crazy devilgrin
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#136610 - 06/29/05 01:13 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

I believe the rear manifold requires some fabrication.
Porting it creates a weak spot(s) that needs to be "beefed up" with some welding. Otherwise you end up with a cracked manifold.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#136611 - 06/29/05 10:39 AM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Clint is correct.

So if you're going to do this demented, get some welding equipment to brace the manis and ask if anyone knows exactly where to weld.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#136612 - 06/29/05 12:17 PM Re: I know this sounds dumb but... what does PEM stand for?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
All the seams need to have re-inforcement welds done on the outside. Then you can take a dremel or die grinder and port out the insides. There is a company listed on my web page that offers a swap service.