Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137598 - 12/14/04 01:16 PM Re: Cubby Hole
BlackHawkGTP Offline
Loc: San Angelo, Texas
So where did you order that HUD from for 450? Id like to get one too, its the one option on my car that didnt come with it.
"The Black Hawk" 97 Grand Prix GTP, Fenderwell intake, K&N Filters, Flowmaster exhaust, oil cooler, Performance Sparkwires, 3.5 pulley, moved coolant tower, u-bend removed, 180 thermo stat, colder plugs
#137599 - 12/14/04 01:36 PM Re: Cubby Hole
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I love my HUD.
#137600 - 12/14/04 03:16 PM Re: Cubby Hole
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
Quote:
Originally posted by 4rsssfed_grandprix98:
[b] I'm raising the B.S. flag on this one, I've been told by GM certified technitions that the windshield on the cars is the same, wether its hud or not
For the most part they are the same windshield. This topic has come up before. I don't remember what makes a GTP windshield a GTP windshield. I think it has something to do with a high polished area where the HUD displays.

I think it was Chico that explained the difference between a GTP and non-GTP windshield, but someone will chime in on this.

Also... won't you need a new dash to install the HUD, or can you just cut an opening in the current non-HUD dash? [/b]
Hmmm... I dont think there is a special "GTP" windsheild, if anything, it would only be on the HUD equipped cars, because that wouldn't make sence for it to be a "GTP windsheild because you can get GT's with HUD, and I'm still skeptical that there is even a difference at all, I need proof no smile

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#137601 - 12/14/04 03:18 PM Re: Cubby Hole
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackHawkGTP:
So where did you order that HUD from for 450? Id like to get one too, its the one option on my car that didnt come with it.
You can order it from a GM dealer, but your gonna pay $450 for it, I would look around on ebay, the other day I found the HUD, the trim peice and the switch for like $200

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#137602 - 12/14/04 03:21 PM Re: Cubby Hole
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
There is no GTP or GT windshield. There is a HUD and Non-HUD windshield.

If you call a place to get your windshield replaced (which I did twice), they will specifically ask if you have a HUD.
#137603 - 12/14/04 03:40 PM Re: Cubby Hole
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:

If you call a place to get your windshield replaced (which I did twice), they will specifically ask if you have a HUD.
This makes sense. It seems that there must be something on the windshield to refract the light towards the driver. Otherwise, when you are driving down the road at night, GPs would have a green "column" of light shooting out of their dashboard and into the sky.
#137604 - 12/14/04 04:45 PM Re: Cubby Hole
I did some research and BryantGTP is correct. (retraction of B.S. flag) Apparently the area that the light shines on to is a higher quality glass or something like that, I'm pretty sure it will still work with a regular windsheild, just wont be quite as bright

#137605 - 12/14/04 06:21 PM Re: Cubby Hole
BlackHawkGTP Offline
Loc: San Angelo, Texas
Hey Crimpton, you might be disapointed...

I just went on www.gmpartsdirect.com and I looked up that part number you gave us. You said you paid $450 for yours? They are selling that same part for only $225.33!!! jawdrop Sorry, if you got ripped off.

But my new question is, if I get that part, what else do I need to install everything? I know I prob need the dash piece and the switch, but is there anything else? And if I get all those parts myself, does anyone know if the dealer would install it? I know they like to make a profit on parts when you buy them from them.
"The Black Hawk" 97 Grand Prix GTP, Fenderwell intake, K&N Filters, Flowmaster exhaust, oil cooler, Performance Sparkwires, 3.5 pulley, moved coolant tower, u-bend removed, 180 thermo stat, colder plugs
#137606 - 12/14/04 06:33 PM Re: Cubby Hole
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
For the most part they are the same windshield. This topic has come up before. I don't remember what makes a GTP windshield a GTP windshield. I think it has something to do with a high polished area where the HUD displays.

I think it was Chico that explained the difference between a GTP and non-GTP windshield, but someone will chime in on this.
I'm a boob. blush
I meant HUD and non-HUD, not GTP and non-GTP.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#137607 - 12/14/04 06:36 PM Re: Cubby Hole
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
As for the glass. There is a difference. Your standard windshield will cause the HUD to be a bit blurry or even a double image. Some people have had good luck with using a standard windshield and HUD while others have been very disapointed. Oh and by the way the HUD approved windscreen is about a grand.
#137608 - 12/14/04 07:05 PM Re: Cubby Hole
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
It's not actually a GTP only option but from my understanding say from a lot of 100 WS's the best 25 are picked to be used on the HUD option,now as far as WS replacements i don't think there is a difference only in the cost.
#137609 - 12/14/04 07:22 PM Re: Cubby Hole
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:

My uncle does all types of glass work, and he says the difference is the piece of filament between the two pcs of glass in the windshield, and that it does cost more, but you could get lucky and not have problems with the reg ws a that is already in. just thought that might help out FYI cheers
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#137610 - 12/14/04 08:53 PM Re: Cubby Hole
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally posted by 4rsssfed_grandprix98:
I did some research and BryantGTP is correct. (retraction of B.S. flag) Apparently the area that the light shines on to is a higher quality glass or something like that, I'm pretty sure it will still work with a regular windsheild, just wont be quite as bright
Coming from a guy that is only 21 and is on his third grand prix (All GT's) i have had every option available on at least one of them and have been through a lot in the parts department :-)
#137611 - 12/15/04 12:07 AM Re: Cubby Hole
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

First off....With an extended warranty, all I had to pay was a $50 deductable for my HUD....My car came with the HUD, and it's getting dim, so I made a claim, and was able to recieve a new HUD from GM...the ticket price was $450. I included the part number in hopes that GMpartsDirect would have it for much less...as they usually do.
2nd.....When windshields are made, they are inspected for HUD worthiness at the factory. The glass that passes is labled "optically perfect". The glass that doesn't pass is a standard windshield......
As we all know, windshields are made of 2 layers of glass. If the glass comes out of the mold slightly out of whack, the reflection of a HUD will be less distinctive, and there will actually be 2 reflections, slightly offset from each other. Most times the difference is so minimal, that a standard windshield will show the HUD in a satisfactory manner......In other words...A standard windshield will reflect a HUD, it all depends on how far "out of whack" it is, as to how good, or bad the reflection may be.
Old school HUD's had a layer of something to shine the display onto, but to my knowledge, that is a thing of the past.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#137612 - 12/15/04 04:19 AM Re: Cubby Hole
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Correctomundo!!!