Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137583 - 12/13/04 05:33 PM Cubby Hole
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
I have this little cubby hole lookin thing to the very right of my steering wheel, its about 2inch by 2inch and has bumps on the bottom inside, what the hell is it? It seems like something used to be there and was uninstalled before I bought the car.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#137584 - 12/13/04 05:36 PM Re: Cubby Hole
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
You should have one just to the left of your steering wheel too, these are on all grand prix's, I'm guessing they are just for little odds and ends, but the cubby hole on the right side is also used as a place to mount the controls for your HUD if it came as an option on your ride

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#137585 - 12/13/04 05:57 PM Re: Cubby Hole
InitialDGP Offline
AH I figured it was something like that, well mine didnt come with a HUD but I have been looking to get one, how much are they and where can I get one? Its just too cool of a concept to pass up.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#137586 - 12/13/04 05:59 PM Re: Cubby Hole
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
There were lots of links about that same thing over at clubgp.com. I wonder if it would be possible to grab the one off of the 04s. They have lots more info displayed.
#137587 - 12/13/04 06:19 PM Re: Cubby Hole
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I think I remember something about this. I don't think the 04's will work in our cars, because our PCM's don't send that extra info to the HUD. confused confused

Someone's got a HUD that is multi-colored. Caddy, new Bonneville, I can't remember.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#137588 - 12/13/04 06:34 PM Re: Cubby Hole
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
The 04 hud will not work. As for a non hud car getting a hud it will work if you get it hooked up but the display may not be as clear because of the hud cars having a differenct windshield. ( i know this because i have had a hud car and a non hud car ) But yeah you can do it.
#137589 - 12/13/04 07:11 PM Re: Cubby Hole
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
ya the 04 woukd not make you a happy camper. Just find another hud.

Also, anyone with stereo systems throw your amp control in there, its nice and hidden
#137590 - 12/13/04 07:43 PM Re: Cubby Hole
InitialDGP Offline
Awesome, ill have to get one. It doesent need to be vry clear anyways a basic idea displayed on the windshield is definately good enough for me.
Anyone have a pricerange? Im guessing like 100-200?
#137591 - 12/13/04 08:59 PM Re: Cubby Hole
zachd Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by hot2000gtp:
ya the 04 woukd not make you a happy camper. Just find another hud.

Also, anyone with stereo systems throw your amp control in there, its nice and hidden
Like for remote gain?

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialDGP:
Awesome, ill have to get one. It doesent need to be vry clear anyways a basic idea displayed on the windshield is definately good enough for me.
Anyone have a pricerange? Im guessing like 100-200?
If you could find it at a junkyard or somewhere used i dont see why not. My only thing in the past is trying to get extra interior parts for any reason the junkyards wanted to sell the entire dash and would not part it out. Hopefully you can get lucky
#137592 - 12/13/04 09:16 PM Re: Cubby Hole
InitialDGP Offline
Weird, well im pretty learned in the ways of bartering im sure I can manage it, you think the only way would be to junkyard it? I couldnt buy one from GM and pop it in? I would think they would sell the HUD alone as a replacement part?
#137593 - 12/13/04 10:32 PM Re: Cubby Hole
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Well you could research it and find out. When you do let us all know smile cheers
#137594 - 12/13/04 10:56 PM Re: Cubby Hole
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

I just recieved a new HUD unit from GM.
GM Part# 10320525
$450, just for the unit. Installation would have been more, but I'm installing it myself.
I've been told that there are refurbished units available, I didn't get a price on those.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#137595 - 12/14/04 08:31 AM Re: Cubby Hole
Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
The 04 hud will not work. As for a non hud car getting a hud it will work if you get it hooked up but the display may not be as clear because of the hud cars having a differenct windshield. ( i know this because i have had a hud car and a non hud car ) But yeah you can do it.
I'm raising the B.S. flag on this one, I've been told by GM certified technitions that the windshield on the cars is the same, wether its hud or not

If your interested here is the link for installing a HUD ... http://cncgp.clubgp.com/performance/hudinstall.html

The only things you will need besides the actual HUD unit itself are the control switch panel and the dash trim peice. Both can be picked up fairly easily depending on how much you want to spend. It actually looks pretty easy, I'm planning on doing it after the first of the year

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#137596 - 12/14/04 09:08 AM Re: Cubby Hole
AustinGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 4rsssfed_grandprix98:
I'm raising the B.S. flag on this one, I've been told by GM certified technitions that the windshield on the cars is the same, wether its hud or not
For the most part they are the same windshield. This topic has come up before. I don't remember what makes a GTP windshield a GTP windshield. I think it has something to do with a high polished area where the HUD displays.

I think it was Chico that explained the difference between a GTP and non-GTP windshield, but someone will chime in on this.

Also... won't you need a new dash to install the HUD, or can you just cut an opening in the current non-HUD dash?

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#137597 - 12/14/04 09:32 AM Re: Cubby Hole
you just cut an opening in it...

#137598 - 12/14/04 01:16 PM Re: Cubby Hole
BlackHawkGTP Offline
Loc: San Angelo, Texas
So where did you order that HUD from for 450? Id like to get one too, its the one option on my car that didnt come with it.
"The Black Hawk" 97 Grand Prix GTP, Fenderwell intake, K&N Filters, Flowmaster exhaust, oil cooler, Performance Sparkwires, 3.5 pulley, moved coolant tower, u-bend removed, 180 thermo stat, colder plugs
#137599 - 12/14/04 01:36 PM Re: Cubby Hole
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I love my HUD.
#137600 - 12/14/04 03:16 PM Re: Cubby Hole
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
Quote:
[b] I'm raising the B.S. flag on this one, I've been told by GM certified technitions that the windshield on the cars is the same, wether its hud or not
For the most part they are the same windshield. This topic has come up before. I don't remember what makes a GTP windshield a GTP windshield. I think it has something to do with a high polished area where the HUD displays.

I think it was Chico that explained the difference between a GTP and non-GTP windshield, but someone will chime in on this.

Also... won't you need a new dash to install the HUD, or can you just cut an opening in the current non-HUD dash? [/b]
Hmmm... I dont think there is a special "GTP" windsheild, if anything, it would only be on the HUD equipped cars, because that wouldn't make sence for it to be a "GTP windsheild because you can get GT's with HUD, and I'm still skeptical that there is even a difference at all, I need proof no smile

#137601 - 12/14/04 03:18 PM Re: Cubby Hole
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackHawkGTP:
So where did you order that HUD from for 450? Id like to get one too, its the one option on my car that didnt come with it.
You can order it from a GM dealer, but your gonna pay $450 for it, I would look around on ebay, the other day I found the HUD, the trim peice and the switch for like $200

#137602 - 12/14/04 03:21 PM Re: Cubby Hole
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
There is no GTP or GT windshield. There is a HUD and Non-HUD windshield.

If you call a place to get your windshield replaced (which I did twice), they will specifically ask if you have a HUD.
#137603 - 12/14/04 03:40 PM Re: Cubby Hole
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:

If you call a place to get your windshield replaced (which I did twice), they will specifically ask if you have a HUD.
This makes sense. It seems that there must be something on the windshield to refract the light towards the driver. Otherwise, when you are driving down the road at night, GPs would have a green "column" of light shooting out of their dashboard and into the sky.
#137604 - 12/14/04 04:45 PM Re: Cubby Hole
I did some research and BryantGTP is correct. (retraction of B.S. flag) Apparently the area that the light shines on to is a higher quality glass or something like that, I'm pretty sure it will still work with a regular windsheild, just wont be quite as bright

#137605 - 12/14/04 06:21 PM Re: Cubby Hole
BlackHawkGTP Offline
Loc: San Angelo, Texas
Hey Crimpton, you might be disapointed...

I just went on www.gmpartsdirect.com and I looked up that part number you gave us. You said you paid $450 for yours? They are selling that same part for only $225.33!!! jawdrop Sorry, if you got ripped off.

But my new question is, if I get that part, what else do I need to install everything? I know I prob need the dash piece and the switch, but is there anything else? And if I get all those parts myself, does anyone know if the dealer would install it? I know they like to make a profit on parts when you buy them from them.
"The Black Hawk" 97 Grand Prix GTP, Fenderwell intake, K&N Filters, Flowmaster exhaust, oil cooler, Performance Sparkwires, 3.5 pulley, moved coolant tower, u-bend removed, 180 thermo stat, colder plugs
#137606 - 12/14/04 06:33 PM Re: Cubby Hole
AustinGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:

I'm a boob. blush
I meant HUD and non-HUD, not GTP and non-GTP.

#137607 - 12/14/04 06:36 PM Re: Cubby Hole
HercMan(Rob) Offline
As for the glass. There is a difference. Your standard windshield will cause the HUD to be a bit blurry or even a double image. Some people have had good luck with using a standard windshield and HUD while others have been very disapointed. Oh and by the way the HUD approved windscreen is about a grand.
#137608 - 12/14/04 07:05 PM Re: Cubby Hole
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
It's not actually a GTP only option but from my understanding say from a lot of 100 WS's the best 25 are picked to be used on the HUD option,now as far as WS replacements i don't think there is a difference only in the cost.
#137609 - 12/14/04 07:22 PM Re: Cubby Hole
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:

My uncle does all types of glass work, and he says the difference is the piece of filament between the two pcs of glass in the windshield, and that it does cost more, but you could get lucky and not have problems with the reg ws a that is already in. just thought that might help out FYI cheers
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#137610 - 12/14/04 08:53 PM Re: Cubby Hole
zachd Offline
Quote:
I did some research and BryantGTP is correct. (retraction of B.S. flag) Apparently the area that the light shines on to is a higher quality glass or something like that, I'm pretty sure it will still work with a regular windsheild, just wont be quite as bright
Coming from a guy that is only 21 and is on his third grand prix (All GT's) i have had every option available on at least one of them and have been through a lot in the parts department :-)
#137611 - 12/15/04 12:07 AM Re: Cubby Hole
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

First off....With an extended warranty, all I had to pay was a $50 deductable for my HUD....My car came with the HUD, and it's getting dim, so I made a claim, and was able to recieve a new HUD from GM...the ticket price was $450. I included the part number in hopes that GMpartsDirect would have it for much less...as they usually do.
2nd.....When windshields are made, they are inspected for HUD worthiness at the factory. The glass that passes is labled "optically perfect". The glass that doesn't pass is a standard windshield......
As we all know, windshields are made of 2 layers of glass. If the glass comes out of the mold slightly out of whack, the reflection of a HUD will be less distinctive, and there will actually be 2 reflections, slightly offset from each other. Most times the difference is so minimal, that a standard windshield will show the HUD in a satisfactory manner......In other words...A standard windshield will reflect a HUD, it all depends on how far "out of whack" it is, as to how good, or bad the reflection may be.
Old school HUD's had a layer of something to shine the display onto, but to my knowledge, that is a thing of the past.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#137612 - 12/15/04 04:19 AM Re: Cubby Hole
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Correctomundo!!!
#137613 - 12/15/04 08:31 AM Re: Cubby Hole
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackHawkGTP:
Hey Crimpton, you might be disapointed...

I just went on www.gmpartsdirect.com and I looked up that part number you gave us. You said you paid $450 for yours? They are selling that same part for only $225.33!!! jawdrop Sorry, if you got ripped off.

But my new question is, if I get that part, what else do I need to install everything? I know I prob need the dash piece and the switch, but is there anything else? And if I get all those parts myself, does anyone know if the dealer would install it? I know they like to make a profit on parts when you buy them from them.
Take a look at my post on the first page with the installation walk through, it will tell you everything you need to know

#137614 - 12/15/04 12:07 PM Re: Cubby Hole
BrownEyz71 Offline
Loc: some where on earth
Lol...you know InitialDGP when I was sitting in the car that I am getting today..I noticed the two cubby holes too and I wondered the same thing as you..what the heck were they for, it did look like something use to be there and was taken out!
As for putting odds and ends in there well, not much will fit maybe a pack a ciggs. or sun glasses. Also, you guys really need to explain a few things about GP's for me coz' I am all new at this and first thing is..what the heck is a HUD???? Once I get a picture of my new car and post it here..you guys can give me some hook up ideas for it maybe!
Well, talk to you all soon.
#137615 - 12/15/04 12:28 PM Re: Cubby Hole
digital-d Offline
Loc: New York
HUD is head up display. It displays your speed on the windshield and some of them the radio station. I don't have it in my GP, but when I worked for a GM dealer I actually found it to be more of an annoyance. I have two small cubby holes as well. The pack doesn't fit too well and ends up falling out and please show me a pair of sunglasses that fit in there...my raybans certainly don't lol. I have a small plush stuffed animal from my ex way back in one (don't ask why I still have it) and an American Airlines pin in the other. People like the AA pin cause they say it fits my driving style.
#137616 - 12/15/04 03:15 PM Re: Cubby Hole
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by digital-d:
HUD is head up display. It displays your speed on the windshield and some of them the radio station. I don't have it in my GP, but when I worked for a GM dealer I actually found it to be more of an annoyance. I have two small cubby holes as well. The pack doesn't fit too well and ends up falling out and please show me a pair of sunglasses that fit in there...my raybans certainly don't lol. I have a small plush stuffed animal from my ex way back in one (don't ask why I still have it) and an American Airlines pin in the other. People like the AA pin cause they say it fits my driving style.
I love the HUD, but you can use the cubby holes for other things.

I placed a volume knob for my subs in the left cubby hole. You could put any kind of switch in there if you wanted (day time running lights? neon?)
#137617 - 12/15/04 06:56 PM Re: Cubby Hole
zachd Offline
As for the HUD being an Annoyance........When i was test driving my 98 w/HUD i was like F*** this and turned it off. After having it for several month i started using it sometimes but still didnt really like it. Then i was hooked i never looked at my dash. After trading and driving my 04 for about 10 months I miss it so. Wish i had it back.

As for the grade of the windshields.......Im still very iffy on that as I dont see there being a big enough production variance in there to be a noticeable difference. But if you are going to install it with a non hud windshield and then its clear its good. If its not then maybe they are actually 2 different windshields.