Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138624 - 12/24/02 10:48 AM GTP Performance Shift
Pete Offline
Loc: Orland Park, IL
What exactly is the performance shift? What does it do and how does it help me? Should i leave it on at all times or turn it off? I dont know what it does and whats it's good for. If anyone out there can help me with this topic it would be great! Thanks..

Pete
#138625 - 12/24/02 01:08 PM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Performance Shift allows the engine computer to increase transmission line pressure a bit. This firms up the shifts noticeably (at least in my car).

A byproduct of this quicker and firmer shifting is less clutch and band slipping. On paper, this should allow the transmission to last a little longer on the factory clutches.

Personally, i run Performance Shift all the time. I don't mind the slight increase in jerkiness. The only time i turn it off is when passengers are more apt to complain about it.

ferb!
#138626 - 12/24/02 07:51 PM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Pete Offline
Thanks for the reply Ferb. I do notice a difference when it is on and off. I tried it today. Definitely has a stronger shift from each gear when it is on. Another question...Do you know of anyone that drops it in 1 then 2 then 3 when wanting to go fast? Is that a bad idea? Bad for transmission? Get back to me if you can help...
#138627 - 12/25/02 01:06 AM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Shifting yourself doesn't make MUCH of a difference. If you leave it in 1 (indicated) it will still shift to 2nd at ~5500rpm. So putting it in 1st when drag racing is kinda pointless.

If you put it in 2nd, it will shift the tranny from 1st to second at 5500 again, but will keep it in 2nd so you can run it out to the rev limiter at 6k. This MAY gain you a little bit with a modded motor, but not too much with a stocker.

As far as tranny damage, none. Since it's electronically shifted anyway, it won't self destruct even if you try to. (but don't quote me on that)

ferb!
#138628 - 12/25/02 03:05 PM Re: GTP Performance Shift
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
I remember seeing a post many moons ago, saying that if you have your shifter in "D", it goes a bit farther on the Tach. than if you have it 1st or 2nd. I've never really tested this. I DO know that my fastest run was made in "D". So, manually shifting, as Ferb said, prolly won't help w/ a stock setup. It sure make driving more exciting though....
Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#138629 - 12/26/02 12:52 PM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Pete Offline
I just bought a K&N air filter. It is not a cone and it was obviously not a cold air induction system. Is this going to do me any good? I know I will gain some HP but would it be better to do the cone/cold air?
#138630 - 12/27/02 12:31 AM Re: GTP Performance Shift
crimpton Offline
Pete...try starting a new topic...you will get better response...People see the topic and they judge whether they want to read it or not...If you keep the topic the same, but change the discussion, you will not get the people that may have lost interest in the beginning.
In response, there are many debates on whether or not it helps....mostly for the fact that it does. I went to a drop in K&N before the cone. I saw no improvements. I went to open cone. Traction has been a problem ever since.I built my CAI. With all that, I've gained a tenth in the 1/4mile. I believe it's mostly from the extra air, but, the cold air definately doesn't hurt.
One more thing.....If you ever hear a GTP w/ a cone filter, you will hear the super charger sing...That'll get you to the store for a new setup...
Later now,
Clint

#138631 - 12/27/02 01:16 AM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Pete Offline
what do you mean sing? are you saying that i should go to the store for a new setup?
#138632 - 12/27/02 09:37 PM Re: GTP Performance Shift
crimpton Offline
I don't know if the hyperlink will work, so if not go to the URL
http://members.tripod.com/~crimpton/drive.wav
It's a 474K audio file from inside my car w/ the cone filter....You will hear SC and understand. If you have high speed connection there are movies there too.
http://members.tripod.com/~crimpton/movie
Later now,
Clint

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete:
what do you mean sing? are you saying that i should go to the store for a new setup?

#138633 - 01/15/03 11:28 AM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Combat Commuter Offline
Loc: Brighton, MI
I ran without Perf-Shift for a few days when my 98 was new then turned it on and left it on.
If I accidentally hit the button it's immediately noticeable. It feels like the tranny is slipping.

It does come in handy if you're taking the grandparents out to dinner.
#138634 - 01/18/03 01:45 PM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
A few things here.
I have to disagree with Ferb here. Don't use pref shift unless you are racing or hot rodding. The increased pressure on all component of the transmission. It causes shudder and jerkiness in all component causing gears to slam harder. It isn't particularly a great thing.

When my transmission went bad, it was noticable in pref shift. If it feels like it is slipping it may be.
#138635 - 01/18/03 09:22 PM Re: GTP Performance Shift
Chuck Offline
Loc: Memphis
The increase in pressure only affects the shift quality and length. Driving with Performance Shift on will not hurt your transmission at all, if anything, shortening the time between shifts will actually help with the life of your transmission by reducing clutch slippage and heat build-up. The only real problem areas with our transmission are the differential and the input shaft. There are at least three options available for the differential (CYA, Intense, and Quaife) and Intense has a special input shaft that won't shear in half.

I've had Performance Shift turned on since I bought the car, and a Thrasher Shift Kit installed since about 15K miles set on medium. Under heavy acceleration, the shifts are firm and immediate with hardly any slippage. I've got 75K on the car now, and (knock on wood) no signs of and problems with the tranny.

One other word of advice, don't run synthetic fluid in the GTP 4T65E-HD tranny, it's been present in a number of transmissions that destructed, especially with the shift kit installed and set on maximum.