Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13987 - 07/05/06 12:32 PM How to clean exhaust tips
kayladog Offline
Loc: victoria, BC
Any advice on how to clean up the stock exhaust tips on my GTP. Their welded on so mechanically polishing them would be a bit cumbersome.
#13988 - 07/05/06 12:34 PM Re: How to clean exhaust tips
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
SOS pad works wonders since they are just aluminum alloy. Once you clean them, get a can of clearcoat paint (krylon cheapy stuff) to protect them for a few months weather.
#13989 - 07/05/06 06:17 PM Re: How to clean exhaust tips
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I don't think the aluminum stock tips can be welded to steel pipes. Since you live in a "snowy" climate, I'm sure road salt has caused the tips to be rusted on the pipes. Loosen the clamps all the way and tap the tips with a hammer, at the clamps.
Some type of grinder (bench/handheld/Dremmel, etc...) with a wire wheel will clean up your tips real nice.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#13990 - 07/05/06 10:08 PM Re: How to clean exhaust tips
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Before i changed my i brought them to a metal cleaner near my house. They diped them in a Acid and they come out like there were brand new.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#13991 - 07/05/06 11:41 PM Re: How to clean exhaust tips
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by AustinGTP:
I don't think the aluminum stock tips can be welded to steel pipes. Since you live in a "snowy" climate, I'm sure road salt has caused the tips to be rusted on the pipes. Loosen the clamps all the way and tap the tips with a hammer, at the clamps.
You may save yourself some time by leaving them on the car...... I've wrestled with some before, and while taking them off, had to listen to another person telling me how hard HIS were to take off.

I use 0000 steel wool with metal polish. If they are deeply pitted, you may want to start with some fine grit sand paper and work your way up to the steel wool.... Eventually you can just use the polish to bring them to a hi polished shine.

They are aluminum, so a machine bigger than a dremel is really just overkill.

http://pdxcgp.com
#13992 - 07/05/06 11:55 PM Re: How to clean exhaust tips
Chunkee Offline
Heck, just cut em off and get some tips smile

I spent about 20 dollars online and got some nice 3.5" rolled tips that have 3 bolts holding them on so they were a piece of cake to install. The pipe cutter I have ate through the aluminum like buttah!
#13993 - 07/06/06 01:13 AM Re: How to clean exhaust tips
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Quote:
Originally posted by Chunkee:
I spent about 20 dollars online and got some nice 3.5" rolled tips that have 3 bolts holding them on so they were a piece of cake to install.
x2...check the sig!

'cept I had mine welded on when I got the f/m's...I had the option of bolting them on though...its not a bad idea..and I believe I spent 40 bucks shipped (resonator tips)
#13994 - 07/06/06 09:08 AM Re: How to clean exhaust tips
Chunkee Offline
Myne are exactly the same. I got the pilot slant cut rolled tip resonators, like 9 bucks each off the web