Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140833 - 01/20/03 05:23 PM 1997 GT Coupe, Hum from the front
Corey Smith Offline
Loc: Greenville, MI
I bought a used 1997 GT Coupe in late September. The car only had 39,000 miles on it and since I have purchased it has devloped a hum or whine somewhere in the front. The Hum's volume and pitch is related to the speed of the car. The faster I drive, the louder the hum. The hum seems to be the worst between 50-60 mph, but seems to have no negative effect on my handeling or performance. What is causing this problem? Has anyone else experianced this problem? Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you.
#140834 - 01/20/03 06:16 PM Re: 1997 GT Coupe, Hum from the front
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
since you don't have a S/C I can only think of your belts being the cause of the noise. Have you changed the belts? If not then put in Gatorbacks and if the volume has not gone down then it must be something else... successful hunting!
#140835 - 01/21/03 03:26 PM Re: 1997 GT Coupe, Hum from the front
Corey Smith Offline
Loc: Greenville, MI
It cannot be the belts because the noise is related to speed of the car and not to the rev of the engine. Pleases try another option. Thank you.
#140836 - 01/21/03 10:04 PM Re: 1997 GT Coupe, Hum from the front
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,
Tires have a tendancy to hum on the right type of surface. Try driving on different roads...Like Concrete, vs Pavement.
Only other thing I could think of, is.....Is your steering wheel straight when going down a straighaway? If not, you may be in serious need of an alignment.
I don't think wheel bearings hum, allthough I may be wrong there. I always thought they started knocking when under stress...not humming at given speeds.
One more thing, make sure all your body panels are secure. Also the front air dam under the fog lights. Might be the wind you're hearing whistling through a loose connection.
I got nothing else. Good Luck!
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com