Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141043 - 12/23/08 05:42 PM The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
I found this info. from other message board. I figure I might share it with you for whoever have that problem after flush. Oh he own 6 speed tranmission on grand prix so I guess he know lot of tranmission wink

Yes, there is a reason, and a very simple solution. Our cars have what is called "Adaptive Learn", which means that the the car learns how you drive, and adjusts fuel trims, transmission line pressure, shift points, etc., based on how heavy your right foot is. The transmission learns to shift according to your driving style with the old fluid, and when you flush it out and replace it all with brand new, It cant tell the difference. It still has all the shift points, shift times, line pressure, etc. stored in memory, but they are all based on readings using the old fluid. So before you condemn your tranny, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the adaptive learn. I have seen many tranny's "fixed" after a flush by doing this. Of course it won't "fix" all of them, but if your tranny is acting up after a flush, it is worth a shot.
#141044 - 12/23/08 07:28 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
cough(bs)cough

It's cause typical high mileage transmissions have worn clutch bands. The old fluid still has all that clutch material running wild in it. The "grit" actually helps the clutch bands grip to provide motion. Now you take that high mileage transmission flush all that fluid and "grit" out now you have nice slippery fluid and your clutch bands having nothing to grip with and in return they slip.

So as a rule I use if it's not acting up just top it off if need be and let it be.
#141045 - 12/23/08 07:34 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
palsut Offline
Well, I thought it will nice to share but I guess not. I have seen his work for 6 speed manual on his grand prix project on other website. His job is working on car so that's why I copy and paste from his explain for reason. Oh well wink
#141046 - 12/23/08 08:27 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The six speed auto is a fairly new tranny for GM. Not many cars have it. It may apply to the six speed but for 99% of those on this board it just doesn't apply.
#141047 - 12/23/08 10:15 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
palsut Offline
Like I say it is his custom project. He create 6 speed tranmission on his car. He dump stock auto tranmission out because it was broken.
#141048 - 12/23/08 10:55 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I think its kinda true because when I replace my battery back in 2007, I had the battery disconnected for two hours because I was stuck in traffic when I picked up the new battery(took a friend car) and when I got back to my car and put the battery in, I took a short drive and the tranny was acting weird for a week. The tranny was shift weird and when I really stomp on the gas, it took a couple of seconds then it got up real quick, then I was told by someone the the computer is relearning how you drive.

I could be wrong but that what I was told.
#141049 - 12/23/08 11:21 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Shifting weird is different then slipping. The common problem is slipping after flushes.

Its similar to flushing our your coolant system. You could have gunk blocking leaks, then after you flush it you have leaks all of a sudden.
#141050 - 12/24/08 07:43 AM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
I have busted this theory last year, well at least i hope i have. But last year shortly after buying the car i had the tranny flushed. I didnt want to, and was mislead but its still running strong. I brought the car at 100k and its sitting at 137k.
#141051 - 12/24/08 11:03 AM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I wouldn't say busted. Fact is many people have had this happen. I'm sure it doesn't happen every time.. maybe not even half the time, but its a risk.
#141052 - 12/24/08 11:26 AM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
actually its not so much that the new fluid ruins the trans.

why do people flush the tranny for maintenance? Some do (like me) but others don't bother until the tranny starts acting up. they figure that flushing the fluid should "clear up the problem" when in reality the damage has already been done. if the trans fails, it is more likely that it was about to fail anyway, and people blame the new fluid.

there is a reason there is a filter in your tranny pan, and its not for looks... leave it too long and it will hurt the trans life. The trans will not last forever even if you flush it every 10,000 miles, the clutches will eventually wear out, so don't blame the new fluid.

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#141053 - 12/24/08 11:53 AM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
20gtp02 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by theone2043:
I brought the car at 100k and its sitting at 137k.
No pun intended right Alex. LOL (sitting)

#141054 - 12/24/08 12:14 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Palsut, who is the gem who told you this info?

Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Quote:
Originally posted by theone2043:
[b] I brought the car at 100k and its sitting at 137k.
No pun intended right Alex. LOL (sitting) [/b]
lol
#141055 - 12/24/08 01:18 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
haha funny its running now ...
#141056 - 12/24/08 04:40 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
Richard Candelario Offline
mayhaps, but it's still funny and you know it, Alex.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#141057 - 12/24/08 05:21 PM Re: The Reason That Your Transmission May Act Up After a Flush.
palsut Offline
Quote:
Palsut, who is the gem who told you this info?
No one told me. I just find this info. from other grand prix message board.