Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14224 - 07/21/07 01:28 PM Replacement Coil Packs
lbolta Offline
Loc: PR
Hi Guys,
Have any of you ever install replacement coil packs in your GP? I'm not talking about MSD or Accel. I mean the ones they sell in major auto part stores. Two of my coil packs have rust on the terminals and I would like to change them, but I don't want to spend $150 for AC Delcos. I can get some replacements for only $50 bucks for all three.

Thanks,

-Luis
#14225 - 07/21/07 02:49 PM Re: Replacement Coil Packs
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Get some steel wool and clean off the rust, instead of dropping some bank on new ones.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#14226 - 07/21/07 03:26 PM Re: Replacement Coil Packs
Digitallyphoenix Offline
Loc: Daytona beach, Fl
yep exactly just clean the terminals... even some fine sand paper. i would then use dielectric greese on them... pretty much i use that stuff on all the important connections in the car. asures a good connetion and keeps corrossion away

96 Z34 (3.4L DOHC RIP PB 14.81@92.2): www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix
L36 swap SD header, 2.5" exhaust, HV3, PowrTuner, Wideband, topswap w/ ported heads to be installed
#14227 - 07/21/07 10:46 PM Re: Replacement Coil Packs
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Once the corrosion starts, it doesn't stop.

You have to keep cleaning them... Trust me... They will continue to perform as long as you keep them clean.

I tried ACCEL coils and had one go bad, and the rest lost performance over the period of about a year..... My car woke back up with a set of used OEM coil packs I bought with shiny terminals.

MSD coils seem to be the favorite in my club... No complaints.

http://pdxcgp.com
#14228 - 07/22/07 11:57 AM Re: Replacement Coil Packs
*Nice-Try* Offline
Loc: Kitchener, Ontario
Quote:
Originally posted by Digitallyphoenix:
yep exactly just clean the terminals... even some fine sand paper. i would then use dielectric greese on them... pretty much i use that stuff on all the important connections in the car. asures a good connetion and keeps corrossion away
but remember never put die-electric on the plug to wire connection, will crack plugs
#14229 - 07/22/07 04:09 PM Re: Replacement Coil Packs
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by *Nice-Try*:
Quote:
Originally posted by Digitallyphoenix:
[b] yep exactly just clean the terminals... even some fine sand paper. i would then use dielectric greese on them... pretty much i use that stuff on all the important connections in the car. asures a good connetion and keeps corrossion away
but remember never put die-electric on the plug to wire connection, will crack plugs [/b]
what??? I have never heard of that. I have put Dielectric grease on almost all my electrical connections for years (including plugs to wires) and never once have had a cracked plug.
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#14230 - 07/22/07 09:58 PM Re: Replacement Coil Packs
Digitallyphoenix Offline
Loc: Daytona beach, Fl
same here not sure where you heard that info.

if you have the dielectric greese on the terminals, it will prevent oxygen from reaching the metal... and this will prevent corrosion.

96 Z34 (3.4L DOHC RIP PB 14.81@92.2): www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix
L36 swap SD header, 2.5" exhaust, HV3, PowrTuner, Wideband, topswap w/ ported heads to be installed
#14231 - 07/22/07 10:41 PM Re: Replacement Coil Packs
*Nice-Try* Offline
Loc: Kitchener, Ontario
Have experenced it before with a GTX. I will have to did to find the Data but I will post it when I find it.