Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143317 - 04/02/08 12:37 AM On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I put the car into the shop to day to have the axles changed. The guy called me a couple hours later and said the driver side inner CV was definitely bad and wanted to know if I wanted to just change the one or go ahead and do them both. He gave me a break on the labor cost so I had both sides done with lifetime warranty for $370...I admit it hurt to pay that but I wanted the car fixed and driveable and not this continued fuzzing over what might go next.

I went down this afternoon and picked the car up and we set out for Ashland for dinner, which would afford me a nice stretch of interstate driving to test the car out. All seemed fine at first aside from a nagging feeling of ever-so-slight vibrating still there on occasion. I kept telling myself it was my imagination and probably just rough pavement. On the way home, part throttle acceleration still gave the slight vibration as before while slow speed turns gave a feeling thru the steering wheel like something was grinding. Then it hit the off ramp coming home and sped up to merge with traffic and accelerating while turning set the whole car aflutter...a choppy sensation but I never got a "low trac" light. It wasnt WOT throttle at any rate. I now have an ugly pit-of-the-gut feeling I have a bad differential on my hands.
This car has 127k on the clock and I have changed the trans fluid in the car twice durung my ownership, the last time being a fluid and filter change. Tie rod ends, wheel hubs, motor mounts, struts and strut mounts and now both axles have all been swapped out. The car was just aligned and inspected so I assume if I had a bad ball joint it would have shown up by now. I dont think that has anything to do with it since this problem only shows its ugly head under power.
Supersttion says evil comes in threes...first Slick, then Ordonez and now I am so fed up with this this car sucking my time and bank account that I would trade it tomorrow if I could afford to. I know I'm beating a dead horse and forgive me for saying it again but my Intrepid was never this much trouble. I'n beginning to believe that GM plans to make money on their parts division buy building cars that dont last with out lots of "maint".
I suppose I should watch my mouth since my Sebring could go wonky tomorrow but I think I can also say that I'm offically shifting gears into "old guy" mode. This car has given me sufficent poison for the mod bug. Fromnow on the extent of my modding will include wheels/tires,exhaust a spoiler and maybe a hood scoop...aside from those things, I cant stand another butt-kickin like this car is giving me.
Maybe if I had Bruce Waynes billions I would turn it over to a master mechanic and not accept it back until was perfect. I also wonder how many Batmobiles are at the bottom of the casam in the batcave just past the turntable. The other benefitof billions is pushing your black lemons over the cliff...gotta be a certain satisfaction in that.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#143318 - 04/02/08 01:12 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Sorry to hear your troubles Tim. I've never had a perfect vehicle and like spending my time working on them, so if an issue creeps up it becomes a "guess I need to take care of that later" thing and I keep on trucking.

I've got some real big torque steer issues when the tranny downshifts WOT. I don't know if it's control arm bushings (one is ripped I know) or some other issue. I'm just one of these people that will pick at it though. I also have a small patch of rocker rust... nothing a bit of fiberglass and bondo can't fix. wink

As far as GM reliability and what I see on a day-to-day basis, we do sell more GM parts, but I think it's due to popularity. If it's any consolation, GM has more parts available in any parts house and they're cheaper than any other vehicle as well. Most A/C compressors are $150-200... My Stratus has a $400+ A/C compressor and it has already choked.
#143319 - 04/02/08 01:25 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Sorry for your troubles but in fact if you have your factory ball joints (sealed no grease fittings) they could give the vibration your encountering .Chico(pops)
#143320 - 04/02/08 01:35 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Sorry for your troubles tbat. It seemed for sure that the mechanic knew what he was talking about but I was thinking maybe since you have bigger tires and wheels that maybe its just normal for a little vibration but from what you explained it seems like something worse.(not trying to put bad luck on you)

I do have alot of small issues but this is the best car I had far as reliability other than my volvo I had. I've never went over 100,000 miles with other cars I've owned in the past. But this car is way over 100,000 miles and its still going and plus parts are cheaper compared to honda and toyota.
#143321 - 04/02/08 01:42 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
What about Torque converter shudder?

Sorry I keep coming up with these ideas with no details, but TCC Shudder has been an issue with our cars. Maybe a tech can help you out if this something that needs to be looked into.

http://pdxcgp.com
#143322 - 04/02/08 06:57 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
If it is torque converter probs that would be almost as bad as diff issues...since the tranny would have to come out...and thats more expense than I can stand right now. The ball joints could be at fault I suppose but if so then they will have to wait a bit...but they are the factory units I believe...Its probably a good thing I bought the convertible when I did cuz if not I would be trading this thing.

#143323 - 04/02/08 11:01 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I feel your pain man. Just be glad you have a DD. Im really sorry that GP.net has kinda let you down in that we havent been able to pinpoint the problem like we normally do. I really hope that you get it figured out, because that car is beautiful and I would hate to see you get rid of it.

Just drive the sebring, and kick the GP every time you walk by it. That seems to be my gameplan.
#143324 - 04/02/08 11:59 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
$%&*()#^@&*#^%$&@$@)$&*#%$#$^#&@#)$&*%$@#$*(!)!@_#!*#@#&@!$#

darthvader

If it weren't for the tight wallet at the moment I'd head out there and give ThunderBat a talkin' to. As it is though, Rick's been having some weird s**t come up after I applied a tune to his car. So, I need to give his car a talkin' to, too... banghead

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#143325 - 04/02/08 05:46 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
at this point I'm very tired of scratching my head over it...I was looking at the other thread GTPeanut posted and the problem sounds exactly like mine...I didnt have the heart to post and say I had already replaced all those parts and the issue is still there. I also cant imagine why an engine would have a part time miss or surge that would cause the problem. On the way home from work today I did about 3/4 throttle blast onto the interstate and I could feel it shuddering then but you would never know it from the exhaust note. I'm fearing the diff or the torque converter as has been suggested before. Ive also got the tire roar which absolutely has to go.

I'm very close to throwing the car to the de-modding vultures...the T-Bat had better hope I dont hit lotto money this week or he will be history.
I certainly dont want any of you guys feeling like you have let me down...you've got no control over this beast and your help so far has been welcome as a process of elimination. Heaven only knows how much it would have cost to have to pay someone else to be troubleshooting the car.

#143326 - 04/02/08 06:17 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
We're here for ya! Calls are excepted 24/7 by your friendly tech support. cool ...and I am certainly not one to fault you for going one way or the other. hammer

Kinda wish I was closer and could actually give the car a good ol' Slick once over. banghead

P.S. I say calls are excepted 24/7, but there may be times where he won't hear the phone until he wakes up in the mornin'. :rolleyes:

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#143327 - 04/02/08 06:46 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
20gtp02 Offline
I have the same issue Tbay. I can't pinpoint when it happens though. Seems like during acceleration, and after car is warmed and driven for some time, and slow dies down. It went away after tire rebalance, but came back. I haven't done all the replacements you have. I think I need to do my tie end rods, stock still. My steering wheel shacks just enough to make me upset. And my gf can feel it in the passenger seat at times. Maybe you have a bad rim. I need to diagnose mine also. Good luck, and don't get rid of the car for that. It runs still, just not comfortable. It's not worth deleteing it just over that, even though things have led you up this far in disappointment.

#143328 - 04/02/08 06:51 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ordonez1307 Offline
Dont say a word about demodding. before you know it your PM box will be overrun with vultures.

Good luck with it, im gonna keep thinking for you
#143329 - 04/02/08 08:13 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
Chico Offline
Well T-bat I would try the cheap things first ,since you're running ford wheels I would suggest hubcentric rings there have been a few that suffered annoying vibration from the small difference in the bolt pattern ,next make sure all is tight on the front end ball joints,tie rod ends,lower control arm bushings and end links.Chico(pops)
#143330 - 04/02/08 10:43 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Loc: Bardstown, KY
Yeah Tbat, my problem does sound exactly the same as yours. I have been following your posts hoping you would figure out what the problem was before I start replacing parts. I dont have nearly the miles tho, just turned 70K. I have a feeling that I will soon figure out what it is, it seems to be getting worse. Heres to hoping you get this mystery solved soon.

Todd
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#143331 - 04/02/08 11:21 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
I cant say I'll get it solved soon...as for now I'm leaving it alone so I dont get ticked and do something rash. The ball joints are about the only thing I havent replaced (contol arm bushings as well) but it seems like those thing would have gotten noticed when I had the alignment done. But you cant count on those things these days. When I drove home from work today it happened a few times with no real pattern other than part throttle power. Now I'm almost puzzled if I might have a vacuum leak that would affect part throttle power, but I think it would make it idle fast or rough as well. I'm stumped and tired of spending money. I may just waint until after this union contract in May and if there isnt a strike, I pull some money from my 401 and either go ape replacing things that might even be suspicious or I'll make a down payment and send it to the Bat-Caverns.

#143332 - 04/03/08 07:42 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
OK...tried a couple expriments on the way home today...seem to be getting the shakes only at about 40mph and above. I took a hilly road so I could make it act up a few times,then I tried downshifting to make the rpms go higher without gunning more throttle and the vibration appeared to stay the same so I'm pretty sure to rule out engine running issues. I then made a full throttle blast from around 20mph and got some very squirrely darting from the steering...not like torque steer pulling in one direction...I know both of my outer tie rod ends have been replaced,does this thing have inner tie rod ends as well or does it come right off the steering rack? I also noticed some clunking from the driver side today over rough bumps...may need to pull that wheel and check out this control arm bushing. Maybe when they did the alignment they didnt think it was worn badly enough to worry about (heard of that happening before)

I also need to get these tires off of the car and see if that kills the roaring noise or do I have gearbox problems.

#143333 - 04/04/08 10:41 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
There are inner tie rods... pita they are.

Call me up when you have a few and I'll see if I can't describe a few different tests you can perform to eliminate things.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

#143334 - 04/05/08 08:27 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
I see you changed your sig tagline...very "Slick" lol

I'm beginning to wonder if I should swap out my dogbone mounts...maybe the rubber there is shot or worn after all the time running the short mounts. grabbing at straws now, but maybe the engine is still rocking too far back under load...then again 2k rpm shouldnt be that much load.
About 40mph seems to be the magic number when it starts shaking, no matter the rpm.

I can tell this is getting bad...I'm looking on autotrader at Chrysler 300Ms...and even a few small pickup trucks.

#143335 - 04/05/08 09:10 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
dont fall to the darkside, this will make 5 people on here that have fallen to the wrath of the deadly gp virus...
#143336 - 04/05/08 09:26 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
Chico Offline
Do you still have your stock rims and tires?If you do try swapping them out and take her for a test drive might br worth a try.Chico(pops)
#143337 - 04/05/08 01:47 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
I do still have the stockers, unfortunately they are on my wifes Montana lol

I suppose I could set her up on blocks but she might not approve of that :rolleyes:

#143338 - 04/05/08 01:50 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
RooK Offline
Put the bullits on her Montana! Pimpin' baby!
#143339 - 04/05/08 06:49 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
I may do that just to get a pic...it would look like a moon buggy lol

#143340 - 04/05/08 06:51 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
no im sad you are thinking about getting rid of it, you cant do that lol your car is BAD ASS dont let this little problem get in the way
#143341 - 04/06/08 09:10 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
only time and money will tell confused

#143342 - 04/06/08 06:04 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I was thinking and a buddy of mine was fighting front end issues for a long time. Come to find out he had a tire with tread separation. New tires cured all his ills.
#143343 - 04/06/08 06:11 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
I'm gonna take Papa Chico's advice and swap the wheels/tires to my old stockers when I'm off work next (weather permitting of course)...I'll be sure to snap a couple pics of the pimped Montana...but a test drive with the different combo should answer some questions. Plus it will give me a chance to eyeball the control arm bushings and ball joints.

#143344 - 04/06/08 11:52 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
Chico Offline
The reason I say swap out (for a test) is there have been numerous problems with the riken raptors and in your case it would be smart to eliminate your rims and tires as the cause of this annoying vibratrion,another culprit may be your e-bay D&S rotors they have been known to warp.Chico(pops)
#143345 - 04/07/08 01:30 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
Rotors normally only cause a vibration under light to medium braking not on accerlation.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

#143346 - 04/07/08 03:47 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
RooK Offline
Depends on how bad warped. Remember, wheels mount against the rotor.
#143347 - 04/07/08 05:06 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
If they're that bad, then you'd feel something all the time and you'd hear it too.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

#143348 - 04/07/08 07:38 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I've heard of stranger. Wouldn't hurt to put a straight edge on em to double check while the tires are off.
#143349 - 04/08/08 05:42 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
well I pulled the wheel/tire swap today and to no avail. (although the Montana looks outrageous) the roaring of the tires is gone (thats nice) and the ride is nice and smooth but shaking reared its ugly head once again right around 40mph.

I tried manually shifting up through the gears to give me different rpm at the same speeds...engine rpm doesnt seem to have an effect on how badly the shaking is...faster acceleration will make it shake stronger.

At highway speeds...60-80mph...no lad situations are smooth and quiet...power on produces a slight vibration...more throttle produces a more pronouced shaking.

I inspected the control arms and ball joints while the wheels were off and if they are worn it certainly isnt visible...nor was I able to find any loose play my moving the wheel top/bottom or side/side

My last shot in the dark would be the rubber dogbone mount points but that appears like a long shot a best since 2k rpm at part throttle hardly seems like the kind of thing to create such a problem.

As a last resort I returned to the shop and complained that my problem was still there. He asked me to bring the car in tomorrow morning for him to test drive. I may try the dogbone rotation tonite as a last hope.

On top of all this my iPod went on the fritz and I fell through my dining room ceiling while running an ethernet cable thru my attic back to my wifes studio for her computer. Now I get to patch sheet rock banghead

Momma said there would be days like this. (the cliff in the Batcave is drawing closer)

#143350 - 04/08/08 07:21 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
this wheel swap did provide some interesting looks...

The Pimped Montana...my wife said "change it back I implore you!"

...and one very undercover looking T-Bat

almost hard to believe it came with those wheels.

#143351 - 04/08/08 07:24 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Bullits look good on the montana.
#143352 - 04/08/08 07:35 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
RooK Offline
Those wheels on the Montana are hilarious! I want to see a burnout! laugh
#143353 - 04/08/08 08:37 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ordonez1307 Offline
Lower the montana about 4 inches and would probably look good
#143354 - 04/08/08 08:58 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is so funny lol not a fan of them on the van ... if the van was black as well it wouldnt be as bad. looks good ... well how did they work ?? have you noticed any diffrence ??
#143355 - 04/08/08 10:35 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
They don't look to bad on the montana, but your car tbat, I just laughed because it looks so weird on your car now.
#143356 - 04/08/08 10:48 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
20gtp02 Offline
You feel throught the ceiling. I go in attics all the time. I had close calls, but not through yet, wow. Those rims do look alright on the montana. Sorry for your shakes still. I have some but not as bad as it seems you have.

#143357 - 04/10/08 12:44 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
the car is back in the shop and even he is stumped...he told me the axles he installed are lifetime warranty so as a last hope effort he is gonna install another set on the chance we got a bad one...reaching for straws now but we'll see what happens.

#143358 - 04/10/08 10:09 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
I'd find a reputable tranny shop in the area and have them look at it. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about it.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

#143359 - 04/10/08 10:44 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
Mr_GTPeanut Offline
Loc: Bardstown, KY
lets hope it dont go to the tranny. Im still pushing mine, but that vibration seems to be getting worse, and I really dont have the money to drop into getting a tranny rebuilt right now.
Silver 2000 GTP Coupe, ZZP 3" dp with U Bend delete, ZZP Whisper resonator now resonator delete because that thing fell apart, K&N cone filter, 180 T-stat, drilled/slotted rotors, calipers painted blue and a little touch of blue under the hood
#143360 - 04/10/08 12:48 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ordonez1307 Offline
It really seems like you have hit all of the points before you start getting into some of the internal parts.

What about the balance shaft? It would be easier than the tranny. Im completely guessing now
#143361 - 04/10/08 01:01 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Balance shaft would rear it's head while the car was in park. And chances are if that was shot then there is major problems in the motor lol.
#143362 - 04/11/08 01:31 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
I pretty much went through what you're experiencing t-bat. I finally got the gp rolling smoothly though, but it wasnt cheap. In all I've had the inner and outer tie rods; ball joints, twice; CV joints (boths sides for all) My diff was replaced when my trans was rebuilt. I've also had the rotors/pads and struts replaced. I've paid way too much money to keep the lowered look for my car. I also need an alingment and some new tires. At times, owning a car really sucks. My car drives nicely now though, knock on wood.
#143363 - 04/11/08 09:42 AM Re: On My Soapbox!
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
you need to do what i did after dropping large bucks on an oil leak that still remains to this day. Park it...walk away...after a while of ignoring her...when you go back into the garage sheel wink atcha...and then the excitement which caused you to mod will return. Truth is the car is only worth what someone will pay..and sad to say thats likely not much...for me, im back on board after last years plan to burn her to the ground...TBat they are just like a women..prepare to pay my friend..but sometimes the ride is worth it...hang in there if you feel the same way in the fall then maybe demod and sell her...
#143364 - 04/11/08 01:39 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ordonez1307 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ReDgie the WeDgie:
you need to do what i did after dropping large bucks on an oil leak that still remains to this day. Park it...walk away...after a while of ignoring her...when you go back into the garage sheel wink atcha...and then the excitement which caused you to mod will return. Truth is the car is only worth what someone will pay..and sad to say thats likely not much...for me, im back on board after last years plan to burn her to the ground...TBat they are just like a women..prepare to pay my friend..but sometimes the ride is worth it...hang in there if you feel the same way in the fall then maybe demod and sell her...
This man speaks the truth.

My car still winks at me right now. With no bumper, motor, headlights, struts, etc.
#143365 - 04/11/08 02:06 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
RooK Offline
Mine keeps flashing me. It must be a bit more on the wild side. lol

All that aside, I've gotten sick of my car plenty of times. A good break does good for the relationship. Right now she's running better than she ever did and the wheels I got from my sister make it ride and grip so much better, it's like heaven.
#143366 - 04/11/08 02:36 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
I miss mine, but in the end I like the new car and not having to worry about it.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

#143367 - 04/11/08 06:29 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
I think of the T-Bat as more of a "he" than a "she"...kind of like best buddies or pals...two halves of the dynamic duo or as my wife says "my superhero costume"
As it is with best friends, sometimes you have a disagreement and maybe even get into a scuffle...then when its all over you have a laugh and things can be better than they were before.

I guess thats why I still get sentimental when my son comes around in my old car. I gave my old pal a new mission, to take care of my boy, and he has done that job with distinction...but its almost as if he calls to me, "I miss the way you took care of me...I miss being the Bat-Taxi"

I have news for you my old friend, there might be another Bat Machine in the driveway now, but there will NEVER be another Bat-Taxi...that nameplate will be honored as yours for the rest of my days.

I'll stop on the way home tonite and have a drink and fill the T-Bats gas tank...thats the same as us having a beer...and it'll be good again thumbsup we'll honor the ancestors and carry on with pride.

#143368 - 04/11/08 06:52 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
SlickGTP Offline
Argh! Quite it! You're making me miss my little black beauty. banghead

...and not having the new one around only makes it worse. Damn the dealer for ordering the wrong part!

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

#143369 - 04/11/08 10:55 PM Re: On My Soapbox!
ThunderBat Offline
did they give you some little scuz-bucket loaner car?...Nissan Versa?

I apologize if I was waxing rhapsodic...thank heavens my wife finds it charming and funny when I get sentimental about my old cars. ( or the ones I have now for that matter) lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >