Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143585 - 04/18/07 11:12 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
I personally would've gone with the 3" D/P. For N/A applications the 2.5 is fine but since you will be boosted you might need that extra 1/2"... who knows...

Anyways, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!

devilgrin
hammer

'97 SE with alot of mods
#143586 - 04/18/07 11:29 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
See I thought about going 3" but here's why I went with the 2.5"

With Roots blower, you get the most overall power (torque and hp) at the lower end of the RPM range. Once you get into the higher end, the draw of the pulley on the drivetrain actually steals more power and produces less power (though you do have more boost)

CSC's are designed like a turbo. They produce little (or turbo'd, no) power on the low end and steal power from the drive train. But once they enter the mid-high RPM range, they provide much more boost in a more gradual fashion that the engine can handle better.

So with a CSC, I'm actually not pushing much boost over natural asperation and succeed in only reducing my low-end power. And if I were to have a 3" DP, I would lose some back pressure, and thus, torque on my low end.

So having a CSC and a 3" DP will cause a likely noticable drop in my low-end.

ALTHOUGH, this is a DP and not a manifold or header so all that information I just gave might be completely false.

In either case, 2.5" w/ Cat is still better than 2" stock with a chocker cat.

And yes, I read a LOT about S/C's and turbos from sites like Wiki and howstuffworks.com

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#143587 - 04/18/07 11:44 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I think the downpipe issue is debatable. At first I had my stock downpipe on with the kit, and now I have a 3" downpipe on with the kit. Soon I'll have headers smile ... but I don't recall ever really losing power. The novi still moves a ton of air at low rpm, even when far from boost.

Pull your charge pipe off (between the novi and throttlebody) and you'll see what I mean even at idle. Someday I'm going to connect a big hose to the outlet of the supercharger and have a killer leaf blower!
electric leaf blower = 100cfm
nice gas leaf blower = 400cfm
novi1000 leaf blower = 900cfm

Anyway back on topic... regardless of your other mods I think your car will feel stronger down low. Midrange power will be sweet even when you're not in boost, and top end power will... you'll find out!
#143588 - 04/18/07 11:53 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
lonezergling Offline
What's your mpg zuul?

"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#143589 - 04/19/07 12:07 AM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
zuulmusic Offline
I was getting 29hwy but lately its about 23hwy. City lately is 18. I wanna say its because my copper AL104's are long overdue for a changing! They probably look horrible. I'm saving the labor for header day. I don't think the novi is bringing it down much cause when I have it bypassed my MPG is about the same.

Why are you getting two aeroforce gauges? You can always scroll through them to look at other stuff. I just think it would be more useful / cheaper to get a guage the aeroforce can't monitor... like oil pressure or something.
By the way, you could install an oil pressure electronic sensor at the same time as the novi kit. You'll be pulling out the stock dummy light sensor and replacing that with the pressurized oil line to the novi1000. you could install some brass fittings there and put an electronic gauge sending unit there. I had to use a couple brass fittings and it kinda took forever, and leaked the first two times till I got better fittings and used teflon tape (I know, its brass...).
#143590 - 04/19/07 12:15 AM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Someone did their homework! Nice info... wasn't trying to call you out on that, just cause I have no idea how those work, and the 2.5" vs 3" D/P is always debateable no matter the application. Props once again.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#143591 - 04/19/07 12:15 AM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
lonezergling Offline
I wanted to get 2 gauges because the A-pillar set-up with 2 gauges looks goofy so I figured I could spring for a second aeroforce and a boost gauge and make it nice and pretty.

#143592 - 04/19/07 12:26 AM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
zuulmusic Offline
Forgot to answer your other question... I like to think I take it easy for the most part, but I have my fun daily. The daily downtown commute sometimes requires a WOT pass to liven up the morning, although I usually don't even have to leave overdrive to pass somebody normally.
Also half the time if I beat on it, I don't keep WOT through a shift, for my tranmission's sake.

When are you putting on the CSC kit?
#143593 - 04/19/07 12:30 AM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
lonezergling Offline
Well, I'll be buying it between this weekend and the next. ZZP says 2-3 weeks shipping so I'm looking at the begining of May.

#143594 - 04/19/07 01:17 AM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
lonezergling Offline
I meant no bad intent drummerboy.

Maybe there are some lurkers on the boards thinking about doing what I'm doing.

Maybe I just felt like flaunting what little car knowledge I have.

Maybe I need to go to bed, it IS 12:15 AM.

I think I'm gonna hit the hay. My fiance' PROBABLY won't be awake and notice that I came to bed a full hour after I said I would. She may be up reading though.

Ah well, she knows that when she goes to bed, that's my time to use my computer to check my mail/boards/learn new stuff/buy new parts.

#143595 - 04/19/07 02:53 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
i know you did your HW and everything, but you are still pushing boost through there. I would have gone with a 3" DP. I had an N/A L36 before with a 3"DP and saw little/no torque loss. But, its still going to be sweet!
#143596 - 04/19/07 04:26 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
lonezergling Offline
Well now I'm irritated.

I just ordered my gauges and A-pillar mount off pfyc.com

And then I went to ZZP and ordered my CSC kit.

I click the continue button and then it brings me back to the billing pack I just left, saying that there was an error in the processing and my payment has been declined.

Well, I have debit card. You know what that means? My $4000 is locked up for 2-5 days, and then I can try AGAIN to pay for my kit.

So now my $4000 is gone and I can't even put it back into my savings.

#143597 - 04/19/07 04:28 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
For the big stuff I ordered through ZZP, I used direct transfer through paypal.
#143598 - 04/20/07 05:01 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
lonezergling Offline
Yeah, I sent my money onto my paypal account.

I just hate having to wait 3-4 days for the money to show up. And that's business days.

Ontop of the 2-3 weeks to ship the kit. And it being shipped ground.

I bought my DP and P-log on Tues. night and they still haven't shipped it yet.

#143599 - 04/20/07 05:20 PM Re: ZZP Centrifugal S/C...
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
patience. ZZP is a very good company when it comes to customer service. i have always had good relations with them (along with 99% of people). But i know the feeling of wanting it NOW! laugh