Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145132 - 10/09/02 12:04 AM New member
BeaSSt Offline
Loc: Savannah, GA
First of all, let say hello to everyone on the Grand Prix net board wink It's nice to be aboard and the proud owner of a new(to me @ less)hot red '00 GTP Grand Prix cool

Now, the first thing I'd like to do is find out which fuse(now I'm assuming here, as it is this way w/ the later '90 model C/K GM trucks) it is that eliminates the DRL. Or if, it's not as simple as the removal of a fuse. Then, what is the process of eliminating the DRL's???

I, personally, hate the DRL's being hooked up to the headlights. The parking lights would be alot better, as w/ the T/A's and Firebirds wink

TIA,
Don

[size=1]'88 T-Top SSilver-n-Grey Monte Carlo SS 350ci/400hp-700r4 Dart SSportsman heads w/ Accel hi energy ignition w/ 8.8mm Accel wires & HEI SSuper coil w/ cap, Crane Hi Energy cam w/ 527 left, Performer Intake w/ a Eldabrock Comp. 680cfm carb., Dynomax headers - 2 1/2 dual flowmasters and a trunk load of speakers & amps[/size=1] cool
http://www.fbody.com/members/nuwnre/
#145133 - 10/09/02 11:36 AM Re: New member
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
Welcome aboard... I believe that the drl's are in the relays and are more of a pain in the as_ that it's worth. Let me know if you find an easy way to do it
#145134 - 10/09/02 11:52 AM Re: New member
BeaSSt Offline
Hey dumba$$, read the FAQ!!! Now, why didn't I think of that, first. It might have due to the time of earily morning hours that, I thought of postin this question cool

If you want to disable the DRLs but not the automatic headlights, unplug the voltage reducing diode in the DRL circuit. It is a large, finned object located on the outer wall on the left side under the dash. It is visible through the small access panel the you can see when the driver's door is open. If you unplug this diode, you will turn off the DRLs and not affect anything else.

Nice site, guys wink

Thanks,
Don

[size=1]'88 T-Top SSilver-n-Grey Monte Carlo SS 350ci/400hp-700r4 Dart SSportsman heads w/ Accel hi energy ignition w/ 8.8mm Accel wires & HEI SSuper coil w/ cap, Crane Hi Energy cam w/ 527 left, Performer Intake w/ a Eldabrock Comp. 680cfm carb., Dynomax headers - 2 1/2 dual flowmasters and a trunk load of speakers & amps[/size=1] cool
#145135 - 10/09/02 02:55 PM Re: New member
BeaSSt Offline
O'kay, I've find the finned like diode just inside the access panel(on the driver's side of the dash). But, it appears that there's a blue chip(lock) holdin(lockin) it place. What is the process for unplugin(unlockin) this connector???

I'm thinking, I should just be able to pull the blue lock out abite therefore disengaging it. Then, the plug should just come on out of the diode, right???

TIA,
Don

#145136 - 10/10/02 11:04 AM Re: New member
BeaSSt Offline
No problem, once I got the clip on the right side of the connector leading into the finned diode to release the connector, it came right out :p Therefore, correcting or eliminating the issue w/ the (headlight)DRL's cool

Thanks again,
Don

#145137 - 10/20/02 01:45 PM Re: New member
Mike46 Offline
Loc: Fort Hood, TX
My lights dont come on automatically until the clock on the radio says 7:00pm. Did yours come on everytime you started your car before you cut them off? Or is my '99 GT different? Its usually dark outside by 7 so the DRLs dont really bother me much. Just wondering if my cars weird or something.
#145138 - 10/21/02 11:04 PM Re: New member
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
That's very strange.....
Please give more detail....
Do your DRL's run all the time, and it's your other lights that wait till 7:00?
Does anyone know why the car would do this?????
My DRL's run all the time, except of course when all the lights turn on. All the lights turn on anytime, pending on when it's dark enough outside.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#145139 - 10/25/02 10:11 AM Re: New member
BeaSSt Offline
Well, as best as I could tell, me freakin lights(both head & tail lights) were on all the time, day or night, noon or 7pm, @ a redused voltage or whatever. Now, granted the Auto light(s) function/sensor might have had something to do w/ that, too. As far as I could tell,(which still hold true even w/ the DRL delete) I don't even need to turn the lights on for 'em to work and have done this on several occasions. Just by forgetting about 'em, as they are already 'on' once you start the GTP up. Which contributes to my disliking of the DRL's in the first place.

Now, the lights work alot better to my tasting w/ the DRL delete and I'm the one who elects when and which lights get truned on for whatever and not whomever. Unless of course, it's dark 30. Then, they come on automatically.

YES, I'am still getting use to the GTP confused

#145140 - 10/27/02 04:02 PM Re: New member
Mike46 Offline
Loc: Fort Hood, TX
Man, Beasst, i didnt have to do any of that stuff you did to my car. I dont know why, but im glad my lights arent on EVERY time i start my car, when its raining or foggy out, i just put on my foglights and parking lights, like the camaros and firebirds. I guess maybe someone already did something with the lights, but i got the car off a lease, and it had a full gm inspection and everything before they accepted the car after the lease. So i dont know, isnt anyone elses GP like this? Without messing with the wiring?
#145141 - 10/27/02 05:58 PM Re: New member
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Mike,
Do your lights automatically turn on at night?
If not, you may just have a fuse out. I believe the DRL fuse also supplies power to the light sensor, which turns the lights on when dark. This fuse is an easy cure for someone who wants to rid the DRL's, the only draw back is, the light's aren't automatically turned on anymore. This information comes from memory, so it may not be accurate, and/or, there may be more to it. I'm just too lazy right now to verify it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm missing something.
The only time the auto lights are a PIA is...
1. At the track, at night. Headlights blind everyone, so you run w/ the parking lights only.
2. X-mas time when you're looking at a whole street of lights, and everyone else has their headlights off, except for the people that don't know how to turn them off.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com